American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Goodyear Cut Off

The Goodyear Cut Off went from Dugway, Utah across the Grat Salt Lake Desert and went through Gold Hill, Utah and connected to the old Lincoln Hwy in the Deep Creek Range, east of Ibapah, Utah. I think with started in 1919. I found this 1922 picture of Gold Hill on the internet.

1922goldhill-2.jpg

Yesterday I took a ride on it traveling east, these pictures start at Good Hill, Utah as it is today.

Goodyear1.jpg

Goodyear2.jpg

Now, just east and downhill from Good Hill is the first look at the Salt Flats.

Goodyear3.jpg

At this point the road turn south and passes over rolling hills.

Goodyear4.jpg

Still going downhill.

Goodyear5.jpg

This is where the Goodyear Cut Off leaves todays road and heads across the Salt Flat that is Dugway Proving Gound now with "No Public Access"

Goodyear6.jpg

End of this story, Dale

That's another place I "missed by that much" last month. I was intentionally following the original alignment west but could still have visited Gold Hill with a fairly short side trip. Perhaps if I had realized (or remembered) that there were some interesting buildings there I would have made that side trip. But your photos are the next best thing and I've promised myself that I'll never again get that close to Gold Hill without visiting.

It looks like the Cutoff might be drivable/ridable up to the Dugway gate. Did you do that?

That's another place I "missed by that much" last month. I was intentionally following the original alignment west but could still have visited Gold Hill with a fairly short side trip. Perhaps if I had realized (or remembered) that there were some interesting buildings there I would have made that side trip. But your photos are the next best thing and I've promised myself that I'll never again get that close to Gold Hill without visiting.

It looks like the Cutoff might be drivable/ridable up to the Dugway gate. Did you do that?

No Denny, I didn't go to the Dugway gate. Drove drove 171 miles yesterday as it was.

I came back the way you went and have pictures of there, that I will post soon. Also, I found a hidden part of the 1913 Lincoln Hwy, signs in

there center of it, but none on either end. I found it off the Pony Express Trail, I have to go back on my dirt bike and see where the other end

comes out. When the gps numbers, I'll post it.

Dale

Edited by DaleS

If you've seen "UFO Hunters" on History you'll know that even going up to and lingering a bit at the Dugway boundary fence will get you plenty of unwanted attention from the "cammo dude" security folks!

[This is where the Goodyear Cut Off leaves todays road and heads across the Salt Flat that is Dugway Proving Gound now with "No Public Access"

Goodyear6.jpg

End of this story, Dale

Dale, I am really enjoying the chronicle of your journey across Utah & Nevada on the Lincoln. It reminds me of a similar journey I took a few years ago with my son and father. I did notice that the Goodyear Cutoff was a bit better maintained back then.

Goodyear Cutoff, 2007

SC10_81_29.jpg

Roadhound, glad you are enjoying the ride.

It had rained not long ago there. All the county roads of the Goodyear Cutoff had been just graded, guess he was too busy to go down

that 5 miles to nowhere.

Dale

Roadhound, glad you are enjoying the ride.

It had rained not long ago there. All the county roads of the Goodyear Cutoff had been just graded, guess he was too busy to go down

that 5 miles to nowhere.

Dale

Sweet! Nothing finer than driving through the desert, trailing a cloud of dust, on a freshly graded road.

When I saw the Goodyear Cutoff in '07 it surprised me that the road was graded. I was expecting to see it much like your photo shows it. I wondered for a long time why it had been graded and the only conclusion I could draw was that it was being used by someone for something and the details were classified.

Sweet! Nothing finer than driving through the desert, trailing a cloud of dust, on a freshly graded road.

When I saw the Goodyear Cutoff in '07 it surprised me that the road was graded. I was expecting to see it much like your photo shows it. I wondered for a long time why it had been graded and the only conclusion I could draw was that it was being used by someone for something and the details were classified.

Rick,

So this is what it takes to get you out of the cave! I wondered if you would reminisce a little when you saw Dale's posts.

Glad you chimed in! Hope all goes well in the Bay Area.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Rick,

So this is what it takes to get you out of the cave! I wondered if you would reminisce a little when you saw Dale's posts.

Glad you chimed in! Hope all goes well in the Bay Area.

Dave

Hey Keep! How ya been?

I come out of my cave from time to time just to see what everyone else is up to. It has been awhile since my last road trip, and with nothing on the horizon all I can do for now is reminisce about past journeys. Denny's journey a few months ago and then Dale's photos brought back a flood of great memories and a yearning to get some mileage under my wheels. Sadly, any journey's of discovery will likely have to wait until next year.

Hard to believe that it has been 4 years since that journey across the desert.

Roadhound

• 2 weeks later...

The Goodyear Cut Off went from Dugway, Utah across the Grat Salt Lake Desert and went through Gold Hill, Utah and connected to the old Lincoln Hwy in the Deep Creek Range, east of Ibapah, Utah. I think with started in 1919. I found this 1922 picture of Gold Hill on the internet.

This is where the Goodyear Cut Off leaves todays road and heads across the Salt Flat that is Dugway Proving Gound now with "No Public Access"

Goodyear6.jpg

End of this story, Dale

Dale,

Thanks for doing all the field work I was planning to do. (heh)

I have a question about the last photo: could you take these coordinates and put them in Google Earth and confirm or deny that this last photo was taken here: 40 5.503N 113 42.096W

I think from the satellite imagery that I see a fence at this location and that one can't actually get down onto the flats without trespassing.

One other question: is there gas available at Ipabah and Dugway?

I'm planning on a Model T exploration of the area in October but I need to calculate how much extra gas I'm going to need to carry. The Model T only has a ten-gallon tank.

Thanks,

Grover

1919 Model T Roadster

Hey Grover,

From what I saw in Google Earth that intersection is at 40 06' 41.11" N 113 44' 04.64". Sorry about that style gps numbers,

but that is what GE gave me.

There is no gas I know of in Ibapah, I didn't go down where a few houses are there. It didn't look like any business's were there.

The next gas would be in McGill, NV, you better take some. I haven't been to Dugway, some others here should know.

Dale

Hey Grover,

From what I saw in Google Earth that intersection is at 40 06' 41.11" N 113 44' 04.64". Sorry about that style gps numbers,

There is no gas I know of in Ibapah, I didn't go down where a few houses are there. It didn't look like any business's were there.

The next gas would be in McGill, NV, you better take some. I haven't been to Dugway, some others here should know.

Dale

Grover,

Dale was sitting too far up in that motor home of his

I called the Ibapah Trading Post 10 minutes ago. They have a single pump, selling regular. They close at 3Pm on Saturday and are closed all day Sunday. He assured me that they plan to continue selling gasoline, but you might want to check before you leave Ely or McGill. Their number is 435-235-1166

They certainly have gasoline at Dugway.....BUT do they sell it to the public and is it accessible without a base pass? I'd simply call the post exchange at 435 831 4037 and find out their hours and whether there is access by the general public to the pumps.

Dave

Grover -

Dugway has a Shoppette that sells gas. However, the public that can use it are folks that reside on post or are there for business. It is not open to the public outside the insallation. Gaining gate access is a task and you would need an on-post sponsor. Even then, you would be required to stop at the Visitor Center with all your ID and vehicle registration for a quick background check. Might take as much as 30 minutes or more if you are lucky. Anything amiss and they send you packing. I would just take extra fuel and avoid any Imperial entanglements.

Bob.

Grover -

Dugway has a Shoppette that sells gas. However, the public that can use it are folks that reside on post or are there for business. It is not open to the public outside the insallation. Gaining gate access is a task and you would need an on-post sponsor. Even then, you would be required to stop at the Visitor Center with all your ID and vehicle registration for a quick background check. Might take as much as 30 minutes or more if you are lucky. Anything amiss and they send you packing. I would just take extra fuel and avoid any Imperial entanglements.

Bob.

....plus, they have to conceal the UFOs while you're there! :lol:

Well, I see Dave made my sluggishness harmless. I intended to post that I thought the Ibapah Trading Post sold gas and knew they had a pump then suggest you call. Dave not only said something similar but made the call and provided up to the minute status, too. I assume I can go back to sleep now.

Well, I see Dave made my sluggishness harmless. I intended to post that I thought the Ibapah Trading Post sold gas and knew they had a pump then suggest you call. Dave not only said something similar but made the call and provided up to the minute status, too. I assume I can go back to sleep now.

Denny,

Rest easy, I have unlimited long distance calling :rolleyes::lol:

Dave

Hey Grover,

Dale

Right that is the intersection for the cutoff.

What I am looking at is the place where the "Enter and you may be killed" sign is shown. I believe that to be at 40° 5.503'N 113° 42.094'W before you actually get down onto the playa.

Thanks for the gas info everyone. The Tin Lizzie and I will be there in October.

Grover

• 1 month later...

Right that is the intersection for the cutoff.

What I am looking at is the place where the "Enter and you may be killed" sign is shown. I believe that to be at 40° 5.503'N 113° 42.094'W before you actually get down onto the playa.

Thanks for the gas info everyone. The Tin Lizzie and I will be there in October.

Grover

These signs are all around on the Dugway fences. Something about no photography or other stuff? I really didn't pay much attention.

SC10_81_10.jpg.