American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Small Piece Of Lincoln Hwy West Of Ely, Nv

I am camped about 6-7 miles west of Ely, Nevada at Egan Crest Trails. There is about a mile or two of old 50 the ends here. On my way

back from Ely I took this section of road today.

Oldhwy501.jpg

I had been passing this piece of hwy for many years and always noticed this failed business.

Oldhwy502.jpg

Here is a Google Earth link to where I am at and you can see the road south of me. The pink spot in the

upper left corner is where I am now. The pink spot is at 39.31150 114.99006.

Map.jpg

Dale

Edited by DaleS

A picture from the new highway 50 shows the building much better:

Oldhwy503.jpg

Making all these pictures and getting them ready to post is why I can't look up all the stories, Dave & Denneys job.

Dale

Edited by DaleS

I've "found" you but I've got no story to add other than noting that Franzwa verifies that there are sections of 1921 Lincoln Highway beside US 50 both north and south of you. The older (1913/1918) route turns west about 2 1/2 miles south of you and goes through Ruth. I guess it's been more or less obliterated west of Ruth by mining operations.

Apparently that group of buildings has been in use during the era of satellite communications. At least I think that the remnants of a big dish to the right.

This would be the route just before the new Hwy 50. That looked like 70's satellite system, somebody could have

been living in it, as other places on the road.

I ran a story about the old Lincoln hwy west of Ruth a few years ago and about the new section around

the mining area and how I had to use 4x4 to get around it.

This would be the route just before the new Hwy 50. That looked like 70's satellite system, somebody could have

been living in it, as other places on the road.

I ran a story about the old Lincoln hwy west of Ruth a few years ago and about the new section around

the mining area and how I had to use 4x4 to get around it.

Dale,

Yah, I recall thinking at the time how neat it was to take the old road into Ruth! It sort of established your reputation as an old road pro ;)B)

I can't add anything to the identification of the structure, other than from the distance the photo was taken, it looks fairly modern. I think the Rosevelt (sp?) ranch is in that general area, but it is older.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

I didn't recall much at all about that thread although I was a VERY MINOR participant. At that time (Aug 2008) I had never even been in the area. I just went back and reread it and now that I've at least driven US 50 through there it makes complete sense and will probably stick with me a bit better. The topic of interest is HERE.

Thanks Dave & Denny, for the input.

Later in the week I'll be moving north and try to start from Willow Springs Pony Express station site in Utah to follow Lincoln Hwy & Pony

Express trail to Egan Canyon, NV. My Benchmark atlas shows a couple different routes through there. Early on it looks like the Lincoln Hwy

followed the PE trail, then the LH took a different route. I can drive over one way and come back the other. Should be fun.

I guess the pony Express Trail would not be off topic as it was one of the first roads.

Dale

I guess the pony Express Trail would not be off topic as it was one of the first roads.

Dale

First, thanks to Denny for resurrecting that thread...its deja vu all over again......get it Denny, ....deja vu, all over again :lol: :lol: ......OK, Ok, I guess you had to be there. ;):P

Dale, I don't think that TPTB (the powers that be) here have any qualms about wrapping the Pony Express into the Lincoln Highway. If it highlights why we enjoy the two lane roads, they will be with you. US50 is chock full of goodies to share. Your stuff is premo, so keep it coming.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

The Pony Express Trail west of US 93 is also Overland Stage Route which is the first road in that

part of Nevada. I think everybody enjoys my photos that I try to tell the story with and take the viewers

with me.

Dale

The Pony Express Trail west of US 93 is also Overland Stage Route which is the first road in that

part of Nevada. I think everybody enjoys my photos that I try to tell the story with and take the viewers

with me.

Dale

We (or at least I) do! Keep 'em coming!

Hey Jim, save the picture then. There are no copyrights on any of them.

I'll have a lot more as soon as I can get out of Ely, NV. Wife has some business to get done here this afternoon, I hope.

Dale