American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

General Motors Section Of Lincoln Highway

This morning I parked in front of the courthouse in Eureka, Nevada to have breakfast in the Owl Club Cafe. On the way back

I noticed this plaque.

Hwy50sign.jpg

This is what I found out for it in a quick search.

General Motors Marker, 1919, US 50. The marker commemorates the 22 mile section of the Lincoln Highway constructed with funds donated by General Motors corporation. The marker’s plaque reads, “General Motor's Section of the Lincoln Highway, Eureka Unit, Length 22 Miles.”

I can only run a computer during daylight hours, living on solar.

Dale

According to Gregory Franzwa, that is the only survivor of fourteen placed in 1928 around the same time the Boy Scouts were placing the concrete posts. It is from the White Pine County line southeast of town. He includes a photo of the plaque, in its original location, on a base similar to, but clearly not the same, as the one at the courthouse.

I know the Owl Cafe had made an appearance on my trip planning radar but for some unknown reason I ate at DJ's when I was in Eureka last month. I've only been to Eureka twice and on both occasions I stopped at the Keyhole Bar, almost directly across from the courthouse and home to the singing deer. Guess I've just got a soft spot for musical ungulates.

I just discovered that the Lincoln Highway Driving CD has a pointer for the remnants of the original concrete mount for the GM plaque.

39 22.8888 -115 54.5737 if you feel like taking a look someday.

Thanks for looking it up, Denny. It looks it is about 10 miles or so south of Eureka past Pinto Summit and South Gate on north side of Hwy 50.

On Map Source it showed 9.5 miles in a straight line.

Dale

• 2 weeks later...

I just discovered that the Lincoln Highway Driving CD has a pointer for the remnants of the original concrete mount for the GM plaque.

39 22.8888 -115 54.5737 if you feel like taking a look someday.

Hey Denny, I drove by the original concrete mount for th GM plaque this morning at a quarter to six and saw it.

It is easy to find, it is on the Eureka/White Pine County Line. There is a pull out to the west of it a couple hunderd yards, pulling

the hill in my motorhome, I didn't stop for a picture.

Dale