American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Going To The Conference

I'm headed to the Lincoln Highway Conference at Lake Tahoe or at least I will be soon. Yesterday I drove east to reach one end of US-36 so I could drive it to the other one. Then it's onto Tahoe along sundry roads. It was a short day yesterday so there's not a whole lot there yet but the tale will unfold here.

I'm headed to the Lincoln Highway Conference at Lake Tahoe or at least I will be soon. Yesterday I drove east to reach one end of US-36 so I could drive it to the other one. Then it's onto Tahoe along sundry roads. It was a short day yesterday so there's not a whole lot there yet but the tale will unfold here.

Denny,

Nice start to the trip!

I note you commented in the write up that I provided a scan of a service station. I could also provide $20 if you are going via Winnemucca. You may recall I hid half a bill along old US40. No one has claimed it. Here is the post.

$20!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Good stuff as usual, Denny.

I see you went through Hannibal MO ... I have a few friends in that area!

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * CruiseNites_2011_Chi.IL *

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Years and miles are flying by" __ Bon Jovi __ 'Lost Highway'

Denny,

The write up and photos of the Utah/Nevada dirt Lincoln were fun and did the subject credit. I confess I'm impressed that you took the whole route without a mishap or even a serious bump. Seemed like a cake walk. I have done some of that section and not seen another human being all day. Did you see anyone west of Ibapah?

Dave

Did you see anyone west of Ibapah?

Barely. I mean barely west of Ibapah. Aside from a couple of cars and a waving cowboy on a horse (Who was actually in a field and not on the road.) just west of the Nevada line I don't believe I did see any one though I wasn't actually paying enough attention to that to say for sure. I do recall passing a white van that had pulled to the side of the road but I could see no one in it. Whether the driver had been abducted by aliens, was wandering through the hills, or was in the back making meth or whoopie I can't say. Other than that, I believe the next vehicles I saw actually on a road was when US 93 came within range.

Denny,

I have located the exact dirt ruts followed by Horatio Nelson Jackson in southern Idaho, and they are also the same ruts followed by three other transcontinental auto firsts (first race, first east west, first round trip!!) They are unknown in that they are not identified with these historic auto events....yet.

I know you said you need to highball it back home, but I thought I would offer you the opportunity to make your return trip significant. I might meet up with you and we could travel and photograph some of the road, and put your Subaru to good use.

I would need a full day to get to Boise, which would be the starting point. I think you could do most of the route in a day, ending up in Pocatello.

Just a thought.

Dave

Hmmmmm... You've certainly got my attention. The highballing is no longer absolutely required but, if I don't turn back immediately, I've been thinking of the PCH south. I've yet to do it between SF & LA. It will be especially inviting if I go to SF to visit my son. We might meet half way in Sacramento. My reasoning/justification for the PCH includes "I don't know when I'll get another chance." That, of course, also applies to the rut safari. I shall ponder.

Hmmmmm... You've certainly got my attention. The highballing is no longer absolutely required but, if I don't turn back immediately, I've been thinking of the PCH south. I've yet to do it between SF & LA. It will be especially inviting if I go to SF to visit my son. We might meet half way in Sacramento. My reasoning/justification for the PCH includes "I don't know when I'll get another chance." That, of course, also applies to the rut safari. I shall ponder.

Denny,

I definitely do not want to be responsible for detracting you from a spin on the Pacific Coast Highway!!! If the choice was between highballing home on I -80 and a drive to follow old ruts, it would be a no brainer in favor of the ruts. But I don't believe for a minute that some desert ruts could compare to the PCH, so I recommend the PCH. And this is a situation where the back story is probably a lot better than the site itself.

Having cleared my conscience, let me expand on what you won't see on the PCH.

My hoopla is tied to four of America's automobiling firsts.

1903 First Transcontinental Auto Trip (Jackson, Crocker, Bud the dog, in a Winton named the Vermont) San Francisco to New York

1905 First Transcontinental Auto Race (Huss in Old Scout and Megalgel in Old Steady, both Oldsmobiles. $1000 prize). This was also the first east to west transcontinental. New York to Portland

1905 First Transcontinental Round Trip (Megalgel in the Mountaineer, a Reo).

It happens that the route taken by all three goes along a dirt / road between Blackfoot Idaho and Hailey Idaho. And all three stopped at a "Cottonwood Ranch," and at one other site I have identified, which places them on a specific dirt road near, and in, the Craters of the Moon National Monument. The section through the Monument is also the Goodale Cutoff of the old Oregon Trail, so it isn't exactly a secret road.

So far as I can tell in my internet searches, no one has made the connection with the three record setting auto events. They can now! I know the folks at Craters of the Moon didn't know that they had been hosts to four American automobiling firsts. The Monument's resource manager was aware of the Horatio connection, but not the others.

I have overlain plat maps on Google Earth and identified the road for the most part in and outside the Monument. I also have a photo taken in front of a ranch house outside the Monument with Old Scout in the foreground. There is a long shot possibility that the house still stands. At least there are buildings and people at the site today.

I have started a new thread elsewhere here where I will expand on the story as time and interest dictate.

Dave

Hey Dave, I drove up Golconda Summit Monday morning and was thinking of your $1 bill.

Dale

Dale,

Good to see your post! But it sounds like the bill remains "safe!" :lol:;)

Dave

I saw where you took the picture you posted, that was like the old one when the highway was in use. If that is

where the $1 bill is, you can keep the $20.

If it was at an easy place, I would take a picture of it and let someone else find it. Was I geo cache, I want a salmon or crabs.

Dale

Denny,

There is something wrong with your "previous and next." I had to insert the page number in the URL to get to 19, etc. Anyway, I was really interested in Petersens.

The coast was beautiful, as always, and it looks like you had a lovely day. I didn't see a lot of traffic, which was a surprise.

Thanks for sharing!

Dave

Dave, I'm glad you were able to work around my errors. That's a skill that will serve you well if you spend much time at all on my website.

Yes, Tinkertown is most impressive on so many levels. The posted photos are only a fraction of what I took and those are only a fraction of what I saw and I know I saw only a fraction of what is there. Details and surprises abound.

I see I have some real catching up to do here so I'll keep at it. I'm no longer "Going To The Conference" but have been and returned. The complete tale, which involves US 36, LH, PCH, and US 66) is here.

Dave, I'm glad you were able to work around my errors. That's a skill that will serve you well if you spend much time at all on my website.

Yes, Tinkertown is most impressive on so many levels. The posted photos are only a fraction of what I took and those are only a fraction of what I saw and I know I saw only a fraction of what is there. Details and surprises abound.

I see I have some real catching up to do here so I'll keep at it. I'm no longer "Going To The Conference" but have been and returned. The complete tale, which involves US 36, LH, PCH, and US 66) is here.

Denny,

Good you got home safely! Your travelogue is always excellent. It illustrates why a road trip is so much superior to two weeks slathered with cocoa butter at some resort. But I acknowledge to each his own. Thanks for your sharing efforts!!

Dave