American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Here is part of a project I have been working on. First I made an overlay from a 1946 USGS Topo map so I could line up the old RT 66 alignment to the East of town. Most of it was covered over by I-40. To the South of I-40 is an access road. This road was moved 30 feet South when I-40 was built so it is not an original Rt 66 road bed. Along this road were several businesses that we were along the road. On the map A=Martin's Motel, B=Sleepy Hollow Motel, and C=Whiting Brothers Gas Station. Martin's Motel is still standing but both of the others have been cleared away. I have included pictures of the two motels but so far have been unable to locate a picture of the Whiting Brothers.

So if anyone has any information about this area I would love to hear from you.

5629913908_896b433987_z.jpg

5629352413_219d8eeb15_z.jpg

5600838132_13810acb71_z.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wish I had information to help you out with this. Looks like a great project. I love historic things like this.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * CruiseNites_2011_Chi.IL *

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Nowadays you can't be too sentimental" __ Billy Joel __ 'It's Still Rock And Roll To Me'