American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Photos, Then And Now

Wild Bill

I have seen this done before and I think it would fit this site perfectly. Find an old picture then go to that place now. Take a picture from the same angle or as close as possible to the original old photo. Post them side by side and there you have it! Photos, then and now. It's really interesting to see the changes that have taken place over the years. How much a tree has grown, etc. What do ya think?

WB

I have seen this done before and I think it would fit this site perfectly. Find an old picture then go to that place now. Take a picture from the same angle or as close as possible to the original old photo. Post them side by side and there you have it! Photos, then and now. It's really interesting to see the changes that have taken place over the years. How much a tree has grown, etc. What do ya think?

WB

WB

DO IT!! We will look forward to your results!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

This was something I wanted to start doing here in Allentown around 1980, and I was always too busy. I wanted to pick about 10 intersections in the city, and a few other sites in town too, then go back around the same date every 5 years and take the same photos over. But of course I have been too busy (or lethargic) to ever start the project, and now with only about 25 years of life expectancy, I wonder if it would be worth the project time as the duration will be much less...

LOVE that idea, WB.

I believe Laurel at Afton Station has done something similar, as have a few others.

I wish I would've started doing that years ago ... especially for my home town. Some intersections ... just aren't the same anymore. While I suppose it is never too late to start this sort of project ... in terms of capturing the essence of the town and how it has evolved, it is.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_04.16.11_Dwight.IL *

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"These are some good times, so take a good look around" __ Trace Adkins __ 'You're Gonna Miss This'

I started doing this very same thing in the late 1990's. Actually, I was inspired by Laurel Kane after I saw she had done some then & now comparisons using some of her vast collection of vintage postcards. She got me on a postcard collecting kick back then and I set out on a mission to find as much as I could. I've got some on our (now dormant) website for your perusal: Time Frames

Jennifer & I have since moved this little hobby to a different level. Instead of comparing postcards, we've gone Hollywood! We take still shots from various movies we like and go to those locations and shoot then & now images. It gives you a much bigger rush compared to shooting postcard comparisons, especially when you're on a location and capturing an image, and saying to yourself, "Damn, I'm standing in the same spot where Dean Martin-Frank Sinatra-Dustin Hoffman-Tom Cruise-Dan Ackroyd-John Travolta stood". And believe me, you can almost feel the "ghosts" from those movies there with you. This hobby of ours is what fostered the "Hollywood Boulevard" segment in each issue of American Road magazine that others have taken the reins on...and they're doing a great job with it.

Our work can be seen at our blog here: Movie Filming Locations As I type, we'll be hitting the road in two days to head out to Connecticut/Rhode Island for vacation and visiting Jennifer's family. For the past couple of weeks, we've been researching and documenting another installment of movie filming location features for our blog: Mystic Pizza. This is going to be one of my favorites, as we dug HARD to find various scene locations from the movie, which is half the fun of doing this kind of thing. Some of the obscure scenes of movies are probably the hardest, but with some investigation and use of Google Street View and satellite images, it can be done. We should have Mystic Pizza up in a couple of weeks after we get back.

It's because I didn't have my arm in a sling. B)

Pat

It looks like fun, but I don't see the resembalance between you and Frank Sinatra in on one of those sets. ;)

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Jennifer & I have since moved this little hobby to a different level. Instead of comparing postcards, we've gone Hollywood! We take still shots from various movies we like and go to those locations and shoot then & now images. It gives you a much bigger rush compared to shooting postcard comparisons, especially when you're on a location and capturing an image, and saying to yourself, "Damn, I'm standing in the same spot where Dean Martin-Frank Sinatra-Dustin Hoffman-Tom Cruise-Dan Ackroyd-John Travolta stood". And believe me, you can almost feel the "ghosts" from those movies there with you. This hobby of ours is what fostered the "Hollywood Boulevard" segment in each issue of American Road magazine that others have taken the reins on...and they're doing a great job with it.

There are some websites that do this type of thing for a particular movie. I know of a site that has "then-and-now" shots of all of the places around Southern California that "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" was filmed in 1962/63. The changes in less than 50 years are simply amazing!

While I have not taken pictures, I've done the same thing for two productions that were shot in and around my hometown of Tucson back in the same year, 1962. I've searched out locations for both the Oscar-winning motion picture "Lilies of the Field" and for the pilot episode of the classic TV drama "The Fugitive". 1962 was a busy year for filming in Tucson! And again, the changes that have taken place in the intervening years are vast--"LotF"scenes that were open desert in '62 are in the midst of decades-old subdivisions today.