American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

On A Brand New Road

I've posted pics of old roads (Route 66, the Lincoln Highway, etc.) and pictures of the "road ahead" from various trips and drives. But, one type of road I had not taken pictures of until December 18, 2010, is a BRAND NEW road. I'm not talking just new concrete/pavement ... I'm talking ... brand new ... as in NO pavement had been in that spot previously. For this photo shoot, the "Stearns Road Project":

http://www.stearnsroad.com/

Stearns Road was extended from IL RT 25 to Randall Rd, providing a much-needed 4-lane bridge across the Fox River between Elgin and St Charles. The only other bridge crossing the Fox River between St Charles (IL RT 64) and Elgin (US RT 20) ... is a very small 2-lane bridge that goes through the heart of South Elgin.

In this pic...

http://www.stearnsroad.com/Images/support/exhibit.pdf

...the yellow line between Randall and McLean is brand new road, as is the purple line between McLean and IL RT 25.

The extended (brand new pavement) Stearns Road was opened to traffic December 16. I took my inaugural drive on it that Saturday, December 18, and snapped the following pictures.

EAST-bound on original Stearn Rd pavement, approaching the newly-reconfigured & vastly-different intersection w/Dunham Rd & IL RT 25:

newRD1_STEARNSrdBRDG_drivingW_atILrt25kirkRDstearnsRDintrsctn.jpg

EAST-bound on brand new Stearns Rd pavement, after turning right off the pavement that Stearns Rd & IL RT 25 now share for a bit:

newRD2_STEARNSrdBRDG_drivingW_nearingBridge.jpg

EAST-bound on brand new Stearns Rd pavement, approaching the new bridge over the Fox River:

newRD3_STEARNSrdBRDG_drivingW_atBridge.jpg

NORTH-bound, after turning off IL RT 31, on re-designed & re-paved McLean Blvd, approaching the brand new Stearns Rd intersection:

newRD4_STEARNSrdBRDG_drivingNonMcLeanBlvdATstearnsRD.jpg

WEST-bound on brand new Stearns Rd pavement, just east of the new intersection w/Randall Rd & McDonald Rd:

newRD5_STEARNSrdBRDG_drivingE_justEofRandallRd.jpg

WEST-bound on brand new Stearns Rd pavement, approaching the McLean Blvd intersection:

newRD6_STEARNSrdBRDG_drivingE_atMcLeanBlvd.jpg

WEST-bound on brand new Stearns Rd pavement, about to go under the IL RT 31 bridge:

newRD7_STEARNSrdBRDG_drivingE_UnderILrt31.jpg

WEST-bound on brand new Stearns Rd bridge, looking south at the Fox River:

newRD8_STEARNSrdBRDG_drivingE_SlookingATfoxRVR.jpg

WEST-bound on Stearns Rd/IL RT 25 shared (old) pavement, approaching the newly-reconfigured & vastly-different intersection w/Dunham Rd:

newRD9_STEARNSrdBRDG_drivingE_nearingILrt25kirkRDstearnsRDintrsctn.jpg

NORTH-bound on IL RT 31, overlooking brand new Stearns Rd pavement:

newRD10_STEARNSrdBRDG_drivingNonILrt31_WlookingATnewStearnsRDtracksRHS.jpg

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_10.15.11_Volo.IL *

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Who's going to pay attention to your dreams?" ... The Cars ... 'Drive'

• 4 weeks later...

This new road's speed limit is 45 MPH, even though the road is a 4-lane beauty with little to no current development. I suspect that will change in the future, though, with all the "growth" along Randall Rd the last few years.

In the meantime, I hope this consideration becomes reality, increasing the speed limit to at least 50 MPH:

http://couriernews.suntimes.com/3841484-417/kane-looks-at-raising-speed-limit-on-stearns.html

2 additional pics:

EAST-bound on brand new Stearns Rd pavement, rounding the corner to see the intersection w/McLean Blvd:

newRD_STEARNSrdBRDG_drivingE_nearingMcLeanBlvd.jpg

WEST-bound on brand new Stearns Rd pavement, approaching the McLean Blvd intersection, with the curve from the above picture visible in the distance:

newRD_STEARNSrdBRDG_drivingW__nearingMcLeanBlvd.jpg

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_07.30.11_Cold.Treat *

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"What are you gonna do when that new wears off?" __ Shenandoah __ 'See If I Care'

• 5 years later...

Interesting roadway, though, being a new road, I do wonder why it doesn't have proper shoulders. Yes, the photos were taken during winter, but a lack of a shoulder is a safety hazard any time of year.

I'd actually forgotten I'd posted this! Even more ironic ... I was just on this road about an hour ago. HA! It still doesn't have proper shoulders, & I agree with you, Mike, it should. Heck, it still does not have a lot of buildings on-around it ... so, absolutely no reason for it to NOT have proper shoulders ... PLENTY of space for 'em. Weird.

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc
"The curves around midnight aren't easy to see" | Rosanne Cash | 'Runaway Train'