American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

A Little Time On Old U S 80

Very nice photos! Yes, we've been in a freakishly cold spell here in So. AZ the last few days. Gila Bend's Feb. 3 low of 28 is positively balmy compared to Tucson's record low of 18 on the same morning, and record low high of 38 that afternoon! Water pipes freezing and cracking all over town, along with natural gas outages as well (meaning no heat or water for lots of folks). Finally getting back to normal now--60s and 70s with lows above freezing.

I recently got to spend a little time on Old US-80 in California & Arizona. There's a bit on Desert View Tower to Pine Valley (plus some CA-94) here and the Gillespie Bridge to El Centro here.

The drive was assisted, in absentia, by Jeff Jensen and his Broadway of America. Thanks, Jeff.

I have been following Denny's adventure, and highly recommend it. And BTW he has some useful airport parking suggestions that I will use if I'm ever forced to fly the "friendly" skies again. (Driving is so much more fun, flexible, and comfortable!)

Denny, I wonder if the Satellite Motel (or some name like that) is still in Gila Bend.

And the praise for Jeff's book is well deserved.

Thanks Denny

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Denny is 'de man, when it comes to road trip reports, Well worth subscribing to his reports. I feel honored that i had a chance to go with him on the end part, from Jackson, MS, back to Memphis of one of his trips. I had a great time.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Denny is 'de man, when it comes to road trip reports, Well worth subscribing to his reports. I feel honored that i had a chance to go with him on the end part, from Jackson, MS, back to Memphis of one of his trips. I had a great time.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Alex,

I note that your post in this thread appeared twice. So did mine, originally. I deleted the duplicate. However, I wonder if your duplicate was prompted by an error message that said something to the effect that my "server" was at fault and the post failed. If so, we should report it, because I sort of doubt it really is at our end, given how far apart we are.

Dave

keep the Show on the Road!

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Alex,

I note that your post in this thread appeared twice. So did mine, originally. I deleted the duplicate. However, I wonder if your duplicate was prompted by an error message that said something to the effect that my "server" was at fault and the post failed. If so, we should report it, because I sort of doubt it really is at our end, given how far apart we are.

Dave

keep the Show on the Road!

PS. It happened again! Here is the error massage:

An error occured with the SQL server:

mySQL query error: SELECT COUNT(*) as topicviews FROM ibf_topic_views WHERE views_tid=1584

This is not a problem with IP.Board but rather with your SQL server. Please contact your host and copy the message shown above.

I wonder if the Satellite Motel (or some name like that) is still in Gila Bend.

The Space Age Lodge, which I'll risk guessing is what you're thinking of, is still there and going strong. I stayed there Wednesday night. It was the subject of a recent Memory Motel article.

The error that replies generate has been going on for awhile and has been reported. Even so, additional reports might help get it some attention. Note that it seems to be affecting some statistics, such as viewed and reply counts, and may prevent replies from appearing in "New Content".

• 3 weeks later...

Great write up and awesome pics, Denny!

One of these days, hope to meet you ... and maybe road trip a bit with you.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_05.21.11_FrnkGrv.IL *

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I can't take anymore" __ 3rd Eye Blind __ 'How's It Going To Be'

Denny, I'm glad that you got the chance to take the trip and I hope that my little project made the jaunt a little more enjoyable and interesting.

CHeers,

Jeff in Tucson

I recently got to spend a little time on Old US-80 in California & Arizona. There's a bit on Desert View Tower to Pine Valley (plus some CA-94) here and the Gillespie Bridge to El Centro here.

The drive was assisted, in absentia, by Jeff Jensen and his Broadway of America. Thanks, Jeff.