American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Man Tells Story Of Meeting With Bonnie, Clyde

Man tells story of meeting with Bonnie, Clyde

Marionville resident Kathryn Golding responded to the May 29 column, "Readers recall 'bad men' and old Route 66," to say her brother had a youthful encounter with Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow.

Her brother, Keith Misemer of Minneapolis, writes about it:

"In the '30s when I was growing up on Highway 66, to supplement the family income, my mother did quilting for others. We did not have electric power so this quilting was done mostly by lamp light. We owned one Aladdin mantle lamp and several coal oil lamps that put out about as much light as a firefly.

To read the complete article, click here: Man tells story of meeting with Bonnie, Clyde

post-104-1157379236_thumb.jpgGreat story...

Reminds me of the newspaper article we found when cleaning out my father-in-laws house. We now have it framed in our family room. It is about a Patricia Cherrington being arrested and imprisoned for assisting her boyfriend, John Dillinger. My father-in-law is James Cherrington. I have to learn more about the relationship to my wife by doing a bit more research, but it does add a spark of fun in the family room. And she is probably more of a relative than I am to Pee Wee Reese, although I do have his autographed photo on the same wall because my dad had me convinced that he was Uncle Pee Wee as a child. I know this is off topic, but I figured that was okay on a holiday.

Pinball.jpgGreat story...

Reminds me of the newspaper article we found when cleaning out my father-in-laws house. We now have it framed in our family room. It is about a Patricia Cherrington being arrested and imprisoned for assisting her boyfriend, John Dillinger.

Speaking of John Dillinger, his gravesite is just a few miles from our home:

http://www.roadtripmemories.com/images/roa...ngerGrave01.JPG

http://www.roadtripmemories.com/images/roa...ngerGrave02.JPG

If the links don't work, go to this site and scroll down a little:

Around and About Indianapolis

• 3 weeks later...

On the subject of Bonnie and Clyde, I was at a Joplin, Mo. site, and found that in town, there is a spot where they had a shoot-out with local authorities. It is in a garage/house they had rented and the bullet holes are still there.

It is on 34th Street, two blocks west of Main. We'll check it out next week. Does anyone have more info on it?

• 1 month later...
On the subject of Bonnie and Clyde, I was at a Joplin, Mo. site, and found that in town, there is a spot where they had a shoot-out with local authorities. It is in a garage/house they had rented and the bullet holes are still there.

It is on 34th Street, two blocks west of Main. We'll check it out next week. Does anyone have more info on it?

We visited the site on our Route 66 End-to-End Trip we just recently completed. It is off Main Street on the south side of town. We had problems finding it, but a police car was nearby responding to a call and asked if that was what we were looking for. Evidently a few people have come through looking for it. We did not see the supposed bullet holes, but couldn't get up too close to it as it is a private residence. Sure makes for an interesting story though.

The old train depot is slowing falling apart with its art deco styling. Hopefully, Joplin will do something about it.

One interesting sign we saw in town was one forbidding cruising Main Street between 8 PM and 3 AM. You could get fined for doing it. Hhhhmmmmm! Just a warning to you old car fanatics. You might want to think about it before cruising.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog