American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Projects In Motion

knightfan26917

QUERY:

What projects are tough or easy for you to continue regularly?

I have too many interests...

...writing,

...taking pictures,

...road tripping,

...driving my family of cars,

...hosting radio shows when able,

...collecting (models, HO scale train, legos, etc.),

...and others.

For each interest, I have at least 1 related project in motion; I just never seem to have time to continue them on a regular basis. But, one project has been VERY easy to continue regularly.

Since...

[a.] I've grown tired of radio stations playing the same songs over and over and over and over again

[b.] my "winter warrior" 1979 Caprice Classic has a CD player

(and)

[c.] I hardly ever listen to all of my CDs, unless I'm hosting a radio show

...I started "Project CD" Monday, 09/13/2010, and have taken my CDs along whenever I drive my '79 CC. I have thoroughly enjoyed this project because I've rediscovered some songs that I had forgotten I had and have brought back some cool memories ... and I'm not bored in the car during my daily commutes to/from work...!

I completed "Phase 1" (CDs of individual artists), Friday, 01/07/2011. During those nearly 4 months, I listened to CDs of:

Paula Abdul, Bryan Adams, Trace Adkins, Air Supply, Alabama (2), Gary Allen, John Anderson (2), Baillie & the Boys, Moe Bandy/Joe Stamply, Bellamy Brothers (2), Pat Benatar, John Berry, Barenaked Ladies, Blackhawk, Suzy Bogguss (2), Michael Bolton (2), Boy Meets Girl, Brooks & Dunn, T Graham Brown, Ed Bruce, Glen Campbell, Bob Carlisle, Eric Carmen, Mary-Chapin Carpenter, Carlene Carter, Lionel Cartwright, Johnny Cash, Rosanne Cash, Charlie Daniels/Marshall Tucker Bands, Cher, Mark Chestnut (2), Chicago, Citizen Kane, Confederate Railroad, John Conlee, Earl Thomas Conley (3), Kristy Lee Cook, Billy Ray Cyrus, Lacy J Dalton, Dave & Sugar, Taylor Dayne, DC Talk, Billy Dean, Diamond Rio, Joe Diffie, Johnny Duncan, Holly Dunn, Eagles (2), Skip Ewing, Exile, Fastball, FFH, Fleetwood Mac, Forester Sisters, Janie Fricke, Larry Gatlin & The Gatlin Brothers, Crystal Gayle, Vince Gill, Mickey Gilley, Amy Grant, Lee Greenwood, Merle Haggard, Emmy Lou Harris, Heart, Brandon Heath, Ty Herndon, Highway 101, Alan Jackson, Waylon Jennings, Elton John, Michael Johnson, George Jones, Journey, Judds (2), Wynonna (2), Toby Keith, Tracy Lawrence, Johnny Lee, Annie Lennox, Gordon Lightfoot, Little Texas (2), Patty Loveless (3), Madonna (2), Melissa Manchester, Richard Marx (2), Barbara Mandrell (3), Kathy Mattea, Martina McBride, Charly McClain, Mel McDaniel, Ronnie McDowell, Reba McEntire (5), Tim McGraw, JoDee Messina (2), Metallica (2), Roger Miller, Ronnie Milsap (3), Eddie Money, Lorrie Morgan (2), Gary Morris (2), Alanis Morissette, Anne Murray, Michael Martin Murphy, Andy & Terry Murray, Newsboys, Juice Newton, Nickelback, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (2), Oak Ridge Boys (4), Robert Ellis Orrall, KT Oslin, Marie Osmond (2), Brad Paisley, Lee Roy Parnell, Dolly Parton, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Charley Pride, Eddie Rabbitt, Bonnie Raitt, Eddy Raven, Collin Raye (2), Jerry Reed, REO Speedwagon, Restless Heart, Kenny Rogers (2), Kenny Rogers/Dottie West duets, Roxette (2), Sawyer Brown, John Schneider [yes, of the Dukes of Hazzard], Dan Seals, Shenandoah, Vonda Shepard, TG Sheppard, Michael W Smith, Sonic Flood, Southern Pacific, Statler Brothers (2), Ray Stevens, Rod Stewart, Doug Stone, George Strait (3), Sugar Ray, Sylvia, BJ Thomas, Pam Tillis (2), Aaron Tippin, Randy Travis, Travis Tritt, Tanya Tucker (2), Shania Twain, Conway Twitty, Carrie Underwood, Van Halen, Clay Walker, Steve Wariner (2), Shelly West/David Frizzell, Dottie West, Bryan White, Keith Whitley, Don Williams (2), Hank Williams Jr (2), Trisha Yearwood (2), THE JUKES, THE ROAD CREW, ZERO GROUND, John Denver & The Muppets Christmas, and Ally McBeal Christmas.

Phase 2 (01/08/2011 to 01/14/2011) was the "Baseball Voices" series CDs I have of Red Barber, Milo Hamilton, Marty Brennaman, Jack Buck and Harry Caray (which I've listened to previously). [i still need to get the CDs of Bob Prince, Bob Uecker, Dave Niehaus and Harry Kalas.]

Phase 3 (started 01/15/2011) is CDs with various artists, such as compilations people have made for me and country and rock compilations that include numerous artists and songs ... the type of CDs that I generally take on my road trips to keep a mix of artists, songs and genres playing. I'm guessing this might last until the spring!!!

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * 05.21.2011_FrnkGrvILmeet

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Just singing in the night" __ The Jukes __ 'Good Ol' A Cappella'

Wow! You have quite the eclectic taste! That sounds like a lot of fun! I have ongoing projects too: painting, drawing, revising my resume, getting an exciting job, finishing graduate school applications, and renting a car in europe and driving for weeks....

More of a wish list really...

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks, Roady ... it has been fun ... particularly discovering songs that I had forgotten I had! :)

How is the job hunt going?

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_07.30.11_Cold.Treat *

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"And suddenly we're all grown up" __ Alabama __ 'Cheap Seats'