American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Road To Manchester

Mank on a Mission

Hello everyone.

May I introduce my little project and maybe ask for some input, help and info, too.

Three years ago, I found out that my home town in the UK (Manchester) had a further 35 towns named after it. From Bolivia, Suriname, Carabean, Mexico and 26 in the USA. Yes 26 Manchesters.

The project United States of AManchester was born.

THREE YEARS later, I had just about put the ride of my life into the trash bin, when I was contacted by a large UK based company that had held a competition last year. The prize...... win your dream road trip.

In short, I have a meeting next Wednesday where the trip, the TV possibilities, and the route is arranged.

In shock..... I am now looking for the best, not to be missed:

Routes (See list of states, on my blog).

Attractions: Must see's. Muat do's.

Misses: the don't go there's

People: Town Hall , radio Stations, TV programs.

Food: What is your local delecasy. (Not fast food chain)

Hotels: Best Budget, (low)

I have a blog: www.unitedstatesofamanchester.blogspot.com

On Facebook Roadto Manchester

On Twitter: @Road2Manchester

Manchester Guanajuato, Mexico , Manchester, IA , Manchester MO,

Manchester, TN, Manchester, AL , Manchester, GA, Manchester, IN 47041, Manchester, CT, Manchester, MA , Manchester, PA, Manchester, AL, Manchester CA , Manchester, IL , Manchester, IN Manchester, KS . Manchester, LA Manchester, MD Manchester,

Manchester, NC, Manchester, OH , Manchester, SD, Manchester, VT, Manchester, WI , Manchester, KY , Manchester, ME , Manchester, MI Manchester, Sun Prairie, MT

Manchester, OH, Manchester, OK, Manchester, TX , Manchester, WA

Town Hall e-Mail addresses Mayor, Governor, Newpaper, radio, TV Station. all will help.

many thanks, and maybe one day we will meet

on the Road2Manchester

Pete Johnson :D

manchester England UK

Ok, here's what I did with your planning. I went to Streets and Trips - and typed Manchester, just plain Manchester, in the "Find" box. Click on Find and it gives you all the Manchesters in the country from Maine to California. Next, just for exercise I started, in the Find box, with Manchester, Maine (It's gonna be a big help if you write all these down that you find in the Find box - then you can sort them out - like Manchester, NH (start), Machester, Maine; Manchester, Vermont; Manchester, Massachusetts; Manchester, CT and so on.

Then go to the Add to Route Box (you don't have to type each one in either the find or the Add to Route box - simply select the state the Manchester you want in the find box, then it will automatically show up in the Add To Route Box. Click on Add to Route and it will show up in the list below (but only the Name Manchester will show up.

Once you get them all lined up in the route box, click on Get Directions. From there you can fine tune it to the roads you want. Time consuming, but I don't know how else to do it - but there may be somebody here who can simplify it for you.

By the way - I came up with 29. There are two Manchesters in Ohio and 2 in Alabama (different counties).

Safe Travels.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

Beautiful! I like capers and this sounds like it's going to be a CAPER! I read through your blog and see you've had plenty of time for the anticipation -- and frustration -- to build. Hoping the latest news is as good as it seems and that you'll be heading our way come spring.

I don't live in a Manchester but I'm not terribly far from the one in southern Ohio. It's not very big but is right on the Ohio River so I imagine getting to and from it will be one of your more enjoyable sections. I'd be happy to do a little scouting when snow is not an issue.

One of the things that struck me when I looked at the "maps in progress" in your blog was the dirth of Manchesters in our southwest. That's some beautiful territory and I cringe even as I suggest you might think of omitting it. If you started or ended your ride mid-country (say KS or OK) and put the other end on the west coast, you could avoid riding across the entire country twice and be spared a 1500 mile Manchesterless leg. I realize that flying in to or out of the center and using different departure & arrival cities can complicate things but it seems worth a look.

Welcome to the forum. I subscribed to your Twitter feed and to your blog's RSS feed (means I won't show up as a follower) and will also be watching for more posts here.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow ... what an awesome adventure you are undertaking, Pete!

Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but the "Manchester" in Indiana is actually North Manchester. I attended Manchester College, which is located there.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * 10.15.2011_VoloILmeet

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"We'd drive around" __ Cheap Trick __ 'In The Street (That '70s Show)'

• 3 months later...

Pete isn't the first guy to post questions here and forget to come back for the answers but, unlike many of those who passed this way but once, he is following up on his plans in a big way. With some real luck and some real sponsorship, Pete reached the United States on the 14th and has already ticked off the first 5 of the 34 Manchesters on his route. His blog is here.

Thanks for sharing that link, Denny! I just saved it to my favorites.

I want to retire now so I can do more road trips...lol.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_05.21.11_FrnkGrv.IL *

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Why can't that be me?" __ 3 Doors Down __ 'If I Could Be Like That'