American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Sad Day - Middlegate Shoe Tree Chopped Down By Vandals

Why??? 3 reasons - no reason, no rhyme and no fear of prosecution. Maybe a slap on the wrist, perhaps some hours community service, and sent forth with the admonition to "Go forth and sin no more!!" Country's sick.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Losing landmarks is always sad but the absolute worst is when it's because of some senseless human act. This will make the "Loneliest Road in America" section of the Lincoln Highway a little lonelier.

It's been a rough year for shoe trees. Route 66 lost two, one near Stroud, OK, and the other near Amboy, CA. But those were from natural causes though the causes were possibly aided by the weight of the shoes on the smaller trees.

I remember stopping at the shoe tree on US 50 in Nevada on one of our trips. It was really something to see. Photos from that trip are in Volume 2, #3 of American Road. I'm saddened by the loss of this landmark.

Does anyone else have fond memories of their visit to the shoe tree on Nevada's stretch of US 50? Did you sacrifice your shoes?

• 3 weeks later...

That's just sad.

Kinda makes you wonder about the people; then again, not sure I'd want to meet them or find out who it is anyway.....

*sighs*

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * 05.21.2011_FrnkGrvILmeet

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"You probably won't remember me" __ Jan Arden __ 'Insensitive'

• 2 months later...

Very sad indead.

In 2002 there was a shoe tree, hat tree and a bra & pantie north of Quartzsite, AZ. I got a picture of it and next time

I went by, and few days later they were all gone. I did have a picture.

Dale

Very sad indead.

In 2002 there was a shoe tree, hat tree and a bra & pantie north of Quartzsite, AZ. I got a picture of it and next time

I went by, and few days later they were all gone. I did have a picture.

Dale

Dale,

Long time no see. Good to see your post.

I guess I could make some bad joke about hanging out :blink: at the bra tree, but it would be sexist and no doubt sully my otherwise pristine reputation. B)

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

• 2 months later...

Sorry I didn't check in sooner, Dave.

I'm sitting off Hwy 50 east of Austin at Spencers Hot Spings.

Planning on checking out Cape Horn Overland Stage Station in a fews day. Too bad I can't

post any more pictures. Maybe I can post a link?

Dale

Sorry I didn't check in sooner, Dave.

I'm sitting off Hwy 50 east of Austin at Spencers Hot Spings.

Planning on checking out Cape Horn Overland Stage Station in a fews day. Too bad I can't

post any more pictures. Maybe I can post a link?

Dale

Dale,

Two things. First you lucky son of a gun. I'd love to be following the road today instead of cleaning the basement!!

Second, I'll explain an easy way to be a photo poster again.

A favorite of mine is the Sand Springs Station, east of Fallon. Burton, on his overland stage trip in the early 1860's, wrote of a fellow dying by the fireplace. The hearth still stands in the corner of the now long abandoned stone structure.

I don't know how busy those places are in the summer, but off season I have stood alone beside one of those old stations, maybe a mile from the highway, and believe me, you can feel the loneliness of the Nevada desert those guys experienced. It is one of the experiences that makes the stories of the past come alive.

Back to photo posting. Do you upload your photos to any of the many photo sharing sites? If so, just cut and paste the link to your photo into your post, I do it this way:

I view my photo on the photo sharing site and highlight the URL. I do a control C to copy the URL to my clipboard. Then I paste (control V) the URL into my forum post.

If I want it to appear as an image in the post (rather than just a link) I highlight the URL in the post and click in the little image icon at the top of the page. Then click Insert.

Did you get a burger at the International In Austin? That was a familiar stop in Lincoln Highway days.

Dave

Thanks for the photo posting info. I have an account at Photobucket.

I was too early for lunch today at the International Cafe, but have had some nice breakfasts there. They

always have nice help.

There used to be another establishment a Sand Springs many years ago. The kind of place you can't take

your wife.

Stay away from that basement, sell it and get a motorhome.he he

Dale

Edited by DaleS

Thanks for the photo posting info. I have an account at Photobucket.

I was too early for lunch today at the International Cafe, but have had some nice breakfasts there. They

always have nice help.

There used to be another establishment a Sand Springs many years ago. The kind of place you can't take

your wife.

Stay away from that basement, sell it and get a motorhome.he he

Dale

Dale,

Ah, yes, the Sand Springs palace of forbidden pleasures. I can't say I recall it intimately :rolleyes:;) , but I did get a few photos when I last passed. In fact there is a photo taken in the teens or 20's of the site on the University of Michigan Lincoln Highway site...but that was before it became a popular roadside attraction. B)

Dave

Dale, I was in Austin on the 19th and I bet you were somewhere nearby. I didn't have a 'burger at the International (I'd just had lunch up the road at DJ's) but I did have a beer and learned about Genghis Khan.

Hey Denny, I was in Oregon then, I got here on June 27th. I'm about 20 miles east of Austin at Spencers Hot Springs. It is a neat place to

camp out here, warm water to do dishes with. Nice to have a soak at sunrise and sunset.

You should of had a 1/2 lb burger at the International, it takes me two beers to finish one.

I just found out how to do the "quote". Blew it on the Cape Horn reply.

Dale

Edited by DaleS

Denny, if you Google Earth Spencers Hot Springs, there will be pictures of it. About 6 miles north

is Cape Horn Stage station, it should on GE also. Then you can scroll northwest to Simpson Park Canyon.

It was a long trip for you to come out here.

Dale

• 5 weeks later...

I drove by the Shoe Tree yesterday, it is down and being cut up for fire wood.

ShoeTree003.jpg

But, it will never be forgotten:

ShoeTree005.jpg

The tree next to it has replace it and there are many shoes in it now.

ShoeTree008.jpg

Dale