American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Dog-friendly Cabins?

mobilene

Hi all. I'm planning to take a long weekend the first weekend of December, Sat-Mon. Kind of a personal retreat to regroup and clear my head. Ideally, I'd like to rent a cabin, and bring my dog. I'd like to be within a couple three hours of Indianapolis. I'm not looking for luxury -- just a simple cabin, though I'd like it to be heated. I'd like to have the rental come in under $200 for the weekend. This is proving to be much harder than I imagined. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks! jim

I found a few here (scroll to the bottom), but some of the prices are a little pricey. Plus one, Eby's Pines, is up near your old stomping grounds, so that might not be too much of a retreat.

Another option could be a KOA Kabin or Lodge. I found one example at the KOA in Horse Cave, KY, mentions:

Kamping Lodges,great for a couple or a family and traveling with their furry friends.The lodge has a bathroom,fridge, microwave,queen size bed,futon & 26'TV w/DVD player.We have A/C NOW!!!

For up to 4 people.

On their website they have an estimated rate for 12/4 -- 12/6 at approx $60/night: http://koa.com/campgrounds/horse-cave/

gallery_0006_lodge1.jpg

Another option could be a KOA Kabin or Lodge. I found one example at the KOA in Horse Cave, KY, mentions:

Kamping Lodges,great for a couple or a family and traveling with their furry friends.The lodge has a bathroom,fridge, microwave,queen size bed,futon & 26'TV w/DVD player.We have A/C NOW!!!

For up to 4 people.

Roadmaven, that looks almost perfect. I will check into it today! Thank you! jim

Hey Jim,

Have you looked into church camps at all? Sometimes, they will have cabins they rent out on a regular basis during the "off season".

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* 06/2011.RT=us66+NW USA*

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Wake me up inside" ... Evanescence ... 'Bring Me To Life'

I have stayed at the Oakes Motel cabins before, in Cave City. They are pet friendly and should also be quiet. It is definitely a lot more "mom-and-pop" than the KOA, and used to be the "Rock Cottage Court" back in the day. Should come in under your price range, too.

1935856250_ec89c9471d.jpg

(not my photo)

Chris

The Horse Cave KOA's phones both ring to fax lines. KOA's customer service says their phones are working, but no matter what I do I can't get through. So they must not want my business!

Chris, thanks for the tip on the Oakes; I'll check it out.

If I end up staying down there, I really am going to kind of do some thinking. I will probably do some hiking at Mammoth Cave Park. I'm not sure if I'll do any roadsleuthing.

• 3 weeks later...

Knightfan, I wouldn't know where to begin to look for one. But thanks for the tip for the future. jim

Jim,

You are welcome.

One of which I know in Indiana ... is Camp Mack in Milford IN....

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* Chicagoland Meets, 2011?

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Yuletide carols being sung by a choir" ... Nat King Cole ... 'The Christmas Song'