American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Cityskapes, Barns & Abandoned Places

knightfan26917

ABANDONED PLACES

...Glenrio TX, Route 66, 09/11/2009:

0414_091109d07_TXglnr_atExit1.jpg

...New Mexico, Route 66, 09/11/2009, motor home on the left side is west-bound on I-40:

0420_091109d07_NM_abandonedbldg.jpg

...Joseph City AZ, Route 66, 09/13/2009:

0582_091309d09_AZjcity_EllaFrontier.jpg

...Newberry Springs CA, Route 66, 09/15/2009:

0884_091509d11_CAnwbrysprngs_WBstation.jpg

...Hampshire IL, Big Timber Rd:

10RT437e_IL_0822_OldHouse.jpg

...Illinois, Burlington Rd, SE of the IL RT 47 intersection:

MISCabandoned1.jpg

BARNS

...W of Rochelle IL, Lincoln Highway, 09/05/2009:

0010_090509d01_ILwrch_Caddybarn.jpg

...W of Hampshire IL:

MISCfarm1.jpg

...Plato Center IL:

MISCfarm2.jpg

...W of Plato Center IL:

MISCfarm3.jpg

...W of Burlington IL:

MISCfarm4.jpg

...Plato Center IL:

MISCfarm6.jpg

...W of Burlington IL w/POW-MIA sign on barn:

MISCfarm7.jpg

...continued...

...continued...

CITYSKAPES

...Boston MA, unlit CITGO sign, Fenway Park, 08/08/2010:

10RT173_MA_0808_FenwayParkNeon.jpg

...Boston MA, late night, 08/08/2010:

10RT176_MA_0808_FenwayParkHouseOFblues.jpg

...Elgin IL, western edge:

MISCcity1.jpg

...Elgin IL, western edge:

MISCcity3.jpg

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* Chicagoland Meets, 2011?

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Sometimes life's so bitter sweet" ... Carrie Underwood ... 'Starts With Goodbye'

I liked your abandoned places a lot..... not the cityscapes so much. No problem with the cityscapes....but cities just don't grab me.

I love the "authentic" and your abandoned places are "authentic," as I define that term. No restoration, no reconstruction, just the damn thing falling down in its tracks. The stories just seem to leap out. But repaint, replace, fix, and re-create, and it is just another 21 century image of the past that wasn't.

Your first photo is a classic of the genre. And the rest speak eloquently of what was.

On a different vein, we once created a classification of road photo called through "through the windshield" shots. Do we need one for "out the side window" photos? Either you were a bit tipsy or you shot the apartment houses out the side window on the fly. ;):lol:

dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

I liked your abandoned places a lot..... not the cityscapes so much. No problem with the cityscapes....but cities just don't grab me.

Cities don't capture my attention much, either. I was enthralled with Boston, though, mainly for getting to see Fenway Park in person...!

I love the "authentic" and your abandoned places are "authentic," as I define that term. No restoration, no reconstruction, just the damn thing falling down in its tracks. The stories just seem to leap out. But repaint, replace, fix, and re-create, and it is just another 21 century image of the past that wasn't.

Your first photo is a classic of the genre. And the rest speak eloquently of what was.

*nods*

Thank you. The more abandoned places I've seen, the more interested in them I have become. I do the same thing with junk yards ... wonder what kind of "life" the cars once had. I wonder the same thing about the abandoned buildings....

On a different vein, we once created a classification of road photo called through "through the windshield" shots. Do we need one for "out the side window" photos? Either you were a bit tipsy or you shot the apartment houses out the side window on the fly. ;):lol:

LOL!

Well, I don't/can't drink, so I wasn't a bit tipsy! But, yes, some of the pics were taken out the side window as I drove by...a bit tricky to do...lol.

I have a few of those "through the windshield" shots, myself. But, in the threads I posted on the other boards of which I'm a member, I called them "The Road Ahead".... I suppose I could dig out that thread and post it here, if people would like to see 'em.....

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* Rt 66+northwestUS, 2011?

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I am tempted to keep the car in drive and leave it all behind" ... John Mayer ... 'Why Georgia Why'

Great pics - makes great arm chair traveling from home easy!!! LOL Comment on the Citgo sign in Boston - that got to be a center of controversy not to long ago around that sign. Some wanted it turned off, some wanted it torn down - and all because of Hugo Chavez. From your picture I guess somebody compromised - turn it off, but leave it standing.

Boston residents are, if nothing else, colorful!!! LOL

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

• 4 weeks later...

Great pics - makes great arm chair traveling from home easy!!! LOL

Cool ... lol! And, thanks!

Comment on the Citgo sign in Boston - that got to be a center of controversy not to long ago around that sign. Some wanted it turned off, some wanted it torn down - and all because of Hugo Chavez. From your picture I guess somebody compromised - turn it off, but leave it standing.

Boston residents are, if nothing else, colorful!!! LOL

Indeed, Alex!

However ... a couple days ago, a friend of mine who just moved to Boston, a few blocks away from that sign, told me that it is now "half lit". He was going to snap a pic of it, but hasn't yet ... or hasn't shared it with me yet ... since I'm not exactly sure what "half lit" means...lol.

If it is off permanently, that's fine ... just as long as they leave it standing! :)

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* Chicagoland Meets, 2011?

"Everything is temporary anyway" ... Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians ... 'Circle'