American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Down The Tracks

knightfan26917

#1 = Route 66 Mother Road Museum, Barstow CA, 09/16/2009:

0931_091609d12_CAbrstw_66MRMtracks.jpg

#2 = through Hampshire & Pingree Grove IL to Elgin IL (alongside the Fox River)

2A, Walker Rd crossing W of Hampshire IL...

...looking W:

MISCtrainWalkerWlooking.jpg

...looking E:

MISCtrainWalkerElooking.jpg

2B, State St crossing in Hampshire IL...

...looking W:

MISCtrainHampshireWlooking.jpg

...looking E:

MISCtrainHampshireElooking.jpg

#3 = through Burlington & Plato Center IL to S Elgin IL (after crossing Hopps & Randall Rds)

3A, Base Line Rd crossing W of Burlington IL, just W of the Moose Range Rd crossing...

...looking W:

MISCtrainBaseLineWlooking.jpg

...looking E, barely see the Moose Range Rd crossing:

MISCtrainBaseLineElookingATmr.jpg

3B, Moose Range Rd crossing W of Burlington IL, just E of the Base Line Rd crossing...

...looking W, barely see the Base Line Rd crossing:

10RT440e_IL_0822_RRw.jpg

...looking E:

MISCtrainMooseRangeElooking.jpg

3C, Burlington Rd crossing in Burlington IL...

...looking W:

MISCtrainBurlingtonWlooking.jpg

...looking E:

MISCtrainBurlingtonElooking.jpg

3D, Bowes Rd crossing at Nesler Rd between Plato Center & S Elgin IL...

...looking W:

MISCtrainBowesWlooking.jpg

...looking E:

MISCtrainBowesElooking.jpg

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* Rt 66+northwestUS, 2011?

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Time is forever but love is a fire" ... Crystal Gayle ... 'Sound Of Goodbye'

Why do so many of us who love the old roads love the old rails as well?

We live within a couple of miles of the mainline into the northwest and at night when the breeze is blowing our way the wail of a lonely train whistle is carried in the wind. I pull the blankets a little higher over my old bones, and smile inside.

On the National Parks Highway trip this summer I discovered an old wigwag signal. Maybe they are common somewhere, but I haven't seen another operational one in years.

I think it was in Baraboo,

Where Ringling in the winter flew

And like the circus we once knew

The wigwag lives in Baraboo.

I think that was by Longfellow... ;) ...and in case you didn't know, the Ringling Brothers circus wintered in Baraboo, Wisconsin.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

ARWigwag2.jpg

ARWigwagBell.jpg

Why do so many of us who love the old roads love the old rails as well?

I'm not quite sure why that is ... except that, perhaps, the old rails tell similar tales that the old highways do ... one of a country growing and developing over many years, taking people here and there ... and becoming part of the history, legend and folklore....

We live within a couple of miles of the mainline into the northwest and at night when the breeze is blowing our way the wail of a lonely train whistle is carried in the wind. I pull the blankets a little higher over my old bones, and smile inside.

A few different nights out on Route 66 afforded a similar opportunity to me. It was awesome!

RR#3 in the pics traverses past the end of the backyard of the property where my Monte Carlos are stored. Many a time, I've had the pleasure of listening to the train rumble by as I'm out there. Since it isn't near an intersection at the point it passes the house/garage, the whistle doesn't blow. However, listening to the train rumble on by is just as cool, imho.

ARWigwagBell.jpg

Now THAT is cool! :)

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* Chicagoland Meets, 2011?

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"The rhythm of the rails is all they feel" ... Steve Goodman ... 'City Of New Orleans'

"Keep the Show on the Road! said:

We live within a couple of miles of the mainline into the northwest and at night when the breeze is blowing our way the wail of a lonely train whistle is carried in the wind. I pull the blankets a little higher over my old bones, and smile inside."

Ah, and ye brought a bit o' warmth to my soul with this post Dave. Here in Memphis my memory takes me back late at night to another time. In my memory I hear, from my bedroom window on a summer night, the Boston bound B&M train whistle blowing for the River Road Crossing about 5 miles from my house. 'tis true, tho, the diesel whistles of today are no match what-so-ever for that of a steam locomotive of yesteryear.

But, I wake in the night here in Memphis and it's not the Boston bound train I hear but an IC train headed north for Chicago.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec