American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

September Summer Review ... Road Style

knightfan26917

Query:

From this past summer (or farther back), what experience(s) on what road(s) will stick with you?

For me....

IL Route 47 (which crosses US Route 20, the Lincoln Highway, and US Route 66)...:

Every time I travel this road, whether up here west of Elgin IL while driving my Monte Carlos in the summer months or heading south towards US Route 24 or I-74 en route to TN, I'm reminded of my return home from my November 2007 road trip and how icy the road was. I remember a couple sections, including one south of the RR tracks in Elburn IL, where I thought sure I was going to slide off the road or into oncoming traffic ... but, luckily, I never did.

Moose Range Rd (northwest of Burlington IL)...:

The day before the final MidSummer Chitown Gathering, the Chicago area had record rainfalls. Now, each time I travel this road, I will associate it with those record rainfalls and scenes like this, heading north:

04_Chitown3_07242010_DriveMooseRangeRd.jpg

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"The years go by and time just seems to fly, but the memories remain" ... Daughtry ... 'September'

This summer on my spare Saturdays I've been exploring US 50 across Indiana. I most enjoyed visiting Aurora for its great downtown, an almost forgotten old alignment of the road in south-central Indiana, and another almost forgotten old alignment between Vincennes and Washington.

• 2 weeks later...

This is sort of a "no brainer" for me! This summer it was the National Parks Highway and Yellowstone Trail, Puget Sound to Chicago (actually Olympia to Madison.......couldn't abide the metro traffic.). My recollections grow even better as I look at the photos. Sweet trip!

Second best was a trip along the Columbia River to Hood River this last week (end of summer?)

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

I got off of the Cumberland Road, mid-summer, and have been exploring old back roads. Western MD is steeped in history and many of the back roads are over 200 years old. Old structures that have avoided the crush of progress can be founded nestled in small towns I didn't know existed.

On a recent exploration for the remains of a late 1700s grist mill, we stumbled upon this beauty. Additional research placed the construction date circa 1924. A short distance down the road is a magnificent brick mansion, formerly owned by the Shaw family.

shaw-gas-station1.jpg

~ Steve

Edited by Steve_Colby

Unfortunately most of the summer here in the Memphis area was in the 100 to 105 degree range, not really conducive to road travel. Not fun when the paint is melting off the car. We did go back over the old 1923-1926 U S 51 alignment between Millington and Brighton, TN and one of these days I'll write that up somewhere. Also been writing up the U S 61 alignments between Blytheville and West, Memphis, Arkansas. Been picking at both now and again so it's not a dead project yet.

Safe travels everybody.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

• 2 weeks later...

Steve ... that's a great pic!

So far this year, my favorite drive was on a stretch of US 6 in Iowa between DesMoines and the Nebraska state line. There wasn't allot of traffic and the interstate wasn't visible for a good stretch.

That's the best stretch of ANY roadway ... not much traffic!

:)

Second best was a trip along the Columbia River to Hood River this last week (end of summer?)

That is a gorgeous area! I remember seeing that on a family vacation a back in the 1990s.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* Rt 66+northwestUS, 2011?

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Here today, forgot tomorrow" ... Duran Duran ... 'Ordinary World'