American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

On A Cruise Ship - But We Spent Some Time On Roads

Dave Reese

I have decided to emulate my buddy Denny's blogging, but I am not nearly as good of a writer. I had tried this once before, but by the time I figured out what I was doing I had forgotten too many details that were not jotted down on the road, so I decided to try again an record this cruise. My blog is at http://blog.britishcarforum.com/blog5.php or you can just check out photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/brooklands/ and clicking on the proper photo set in the right column. There are some good ideas of places to visit and special activities if you drive through some of the locations we visited, or you can learn about the special features of enjoying a cruise ship...

I've taken a couple nice cruises, back when the wife and I were still married. One was on the NORWAY to the Caribbean, the other was out of Hononlulu - both were very nice and fun.

I especially enjoyed the NORWAY - when we were introduced to the Captain, I presented ourselves as Petty Officer Alexander & Frances Burr, US Coast Guard Retired. Got us a free bottle of champaign from the captains stores!!! :D

Nicest thing about these cruises (for me) was not having to go to getting underway stations (as I had to in the Coast Guard) when we left port. I mentioned to one of the officers that I had been an Engineer in the Coast Guard - that got me a private guided tour, not only of the bridge, but the engineering spaces that are normally off-limits to passengers.

Another bennie for 20+ years of military service.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

A cool trip and a very nice report that reminded me I really do need to go to Boston sometime. You also reminded me that I have to try a Segway. I see you've already turned the Nova Scotia skip into silver by applying the "save something for the future" rule. Nice move.

Though my mind is struggling to get "tuxedo" and "vacation" into the same train of thought, I'm sure it will succeed eventually. You wear it well.

Alex, on this September 11 I thank you for your service to our country, and must say I am jealous of your cruise ship perks.

Dave, The Segways were a blast, but you do feel different muscles after the excursion, especially in the bottom of the feet and the calves.

Denny, Playing dress-up on a champagne night is pretty much fun, although one guy came to the Captain's reception in a tuxedo T-shirt (his wife did not look amused). You are right, the bucket list of places to visit will never be completed as it keeps adding new places.

A cool trip and a very nice report that reminded me I really do need to go to Boston sometime. You also reminded me that I have to try a Segway. I see you've already turned the Nova Scotia skip into silver by applying the "save something for the future" rule. Nice move.

Though my mind is struggling to get "tuxedo" and "vacation" into the same train of thought, I'm sure it will succeed eventually. You wear it well.

Denny - you ever plan a trip to New England, let me know. Tho I know you travel alone I'd love to go with you and show you some of the sights you might otherwise overlook!!!! After all, I did live in New England for over 50 years!!!! :blink:

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN