American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Sign Museum Progress

• 11 months later...

Denny,

I get a message that "This video has been removed by the user."

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Ya gotta move a little quicker, Dave. That post is right at a year old. :mellow:

Progress has continued on this huge project and the current thinking is completion in January.

Sorry it's not a movie but there's some recent news here.

Ya gotta move a little quicker, Dave. That post is right at a year old. :mellow:

Progress has continued on this huge project and the current thinking is completion in January.

Sorry it's not a movie but there's some recent news here.

Denny,

No use rushing :P

For some reason it popped up on "View Current Content," and you know I consider anything DennyG golden and "must see," so I instinctively clicked without checking the date. :(

Does your stuff recycle into "View Current Content" on its anniversary? :huh: Where is that setting!!?

Dave

Maybe that recycling of posts is a west coast thing.

I didn't find the video I'd originally pointed to but

's one from December that should fill in quite nicely. Plus, while looking for that video, I found
truly fascinating one about moving a Mail Pouch sign to the museum. There's some real nice stuff about Harley Warrick, "The Last Mail Pouch Barn Painter", in it, too.

Maybe that recycling of posts is a west coast thing.

I didn't find the video I'd originally pointed to but

's one from December that should fill in quite nicely. Plus, while looking for that video, I found
truly fascinating one about moving a Mail Pouch sign to the museum. There's some real nice stuff about Harley Warrick, "The Last Mail Pouch Barn Painter", in it, too.

Denny,

That's it! It takes longer for the message to get this far west. ;)

Thanks for the lead. I have often wondered if the obvious repainting of some Mail Pouch signs was the work of the barn owner, and now it appears it may have been Warrick in some cases as late as the 70's. Great stuff.

Dave

• 2 months later...

Things are on schedule for an April opening in the new location with January 7 to be the last day of operation at the old place. With the exception of the 24th (Christmas Eve) the museum will be open every Saturday between now and January 7.

http://www.signmuseum.org/visit.asp

I lifted the following from the Sign Museum newsletter but I don't think Tod will mind me sharing it:

Do we have enough signs to fill the much larger new space? You bet, and them some. But we are still looking for smaller items for display in the windows of the themed storefronts along Main Street.

My favorites are salesman samples that may be sitting around your shop, or samples from product manufacturers such as sample letters, portable light-up neon tube color kits, porcelain enamel color chips, etc. We also like materials and sign components still in their original boxes such as never-used neon transformers, point-of-purchase signs still in their original cartons, vintage lettering enamel cans, and on and on. We treasure old product catalogs and photos as well.

The message is, "Before you throw it out, call Tod at 513-258-4020." Or, e-mail me and attach an image or two. You'd be surprised at some of the "junk" we gladly and gratefully accept.

Tod

• 1 month later...

Yesterday's open house was a rousing success thanks partly to a last minute article in the Cincinnati Enquirer. The article is here and my own take on the open house is here.

The new location (in case Road Dog is reading this) is within walking distance of Camp Washington Chili. Everything still looks good for an April reopening.

• 4 months later...