American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Making Long Drives And Trips More Enjoyable

Timothy Fitzgerald

Here are some ideas for making long drives or long road trips more enjoyable:

Stop at points of interest along the way

Stopping at points of interest breaks the trip up and, in my opinion, makes the drive feel more like an adventure than a tedious task. Plus, it gives you something new to talk about! In my experience, these short stop overs have sometimes been the highlight of the trip. You never know if you don't go. ;-)

Be flexible

This point piggy backs off the above point. Just because you set out a plan of places to visit doesn't mean you can't deviate from it - you just might have a great experience doing something unexpected.

Don't plan to drive too much in one day and take frequent rest stops

Going on marathon driving sessions is physically and mentally draining. It's also dangerous. Try to drive less than 250 miles per day.

More ideas here

• 2 months later...
Stopping at points of interest breaks the trip up and, in my opinion, makes the drive feel more like an adventure than a tedious task.

I agree. I've noticed that beginning my road trips with the intention of adventure seems to invite the universe to send adventure my way. And it's important that we never begin a road trip while feeling that it's a tedious task. Truly, our 'state of mind' really does influence the quality of our road trip.

Being flexible? Most of my grandest adventures were a direct result of deviating from the planned route. Once I was driving West on I-90 through Wyoming. I had recently noticed in my Rand McNally road atlas a detour across Bighorn National Forest. I believe the words "closed in winter" really drew me in. I took the detour and had a wild time. I was later able to meet back up with I-90 and be on my way.

So, to add to Timothy's good advice about enjoying a long road trip, keep the right 'state of mind' and be open to divine guidance.

Andrew Van Winkle

Road Trip Wise

And it's important that we never begin a road trip while feeling that it's a tedious task. Truly, our 'state of mind' really does influence the quality of our road trip.

Agreed.

But ... I can't imagine even thinking of a road trip as a tedious task...!

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* 06/2011.RT=us66+NW USA*

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"We believe in tomorrow, but we're stuck in today" ... Hall & Oates ... 'So Close (Yet So Far Away)'