American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Fat Smitty's

Fat Smitty's on Hwy 101 on the Olympic Peninsula was mentioned in another posting and was recommended as a place to stop if you were in the area. Last month we journeyed through the area and were fortunate to be passing through the intersection of WA 20 and US 101 at just about lunch time.

SC112812.jpg

The food was your typical diner food (burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese, freedom fries, etc.). I didn't attempt the Smitty Burger but my son did. I did have their blackberry shake with freshly picked blackberries...delicious.

SC112814.jpg

The inside of the diner is plastered with $1 bills with various notes written on them from diners that have passed through. There is also quite a bit of Marine Corps Semper Fi both inside and outside the diner. Even the wood carving of the chef in front of the diner has the Marine Corps emblem on his.

SC112813.jpg

Rick,

Good to see you "on the board."

Your son is a good looking young man. Must have been your wife's genes! :lol:

I know the place you stopped, but it has been mucho years since I was there. Good to see it is still going strong. Is that the only place you stopped on 101? :huh:;)

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Rick,

Your son is a good looking young man. Must have been your wife's genes! :lol:

I know the place you stopped, but it has been mucho years since I was there. Good to see it is still going strong. Is that the only place you stopped on 101? :huh:;)

Dave

Dave,

Yes, my son takes after my wife and my daughter's genes favor me. Strange thing how genetics works.

We spent the better part of three days on the Olympic Peninsula and it still wasn't enough for me. So many stops we had to bypass in the name of time but isn't that always the case?

We went through Port Angeles and spent one night at Sol Duc Hot Springs. The weather was perfect and family really enjoyed the hot spring pools. If you plan on going that direction I would recommend bringing your own meals. We ate at the lodge's restaurant and it totalled out to over $25 a plate.

The next night was at the Khalaloch Lodge. Like Sol Duc the accomodations at Khalaloch was a central lodge with surrounding cabins. There are no rooms in the lodge building itself.

During the 3 days in the area we hiked through the Hoh and Quinault rainforests, took a walk on Ruby Beach, spent some time in 3 of the 4 lodges in the park, and stopped at the lighthouses at Cape Dissappointment before crossing the Columbia into Astoria.

A few pics that I have had time to work.

SC113002.jpg

Marymere Falls

SC113011.jpg

Sol Duc Falls

SC113018.jpg

Rainforest

Roadhound

The only time I was by Smitty's was early in day before they opened so I didn't get to see inside or try a Smitty Burger. Actually, I doubt I'd have tackled a Smitty Burger even if they were open unless I hadn't eaten in a few days. Very nice falls & forest pictures, too.

The only time I was by Smitty's was early in day before they opened so I didn't get to see inside or try a Smitty Burger. Actually, I doubt I'd have tackled a Smitty Burger even if they were open unless I hadn't eaten in a few days. Very nice falls & forest pictures, too.

I'm with you Denny. The days when I would take on a 1500 calorie gut buster are long gone. That, and the nearest cardiac care was an hour away in Port Angeles.

After my son finished the burger he muttered something about parental responsibility and asked why we let him order what he did.

Even if you don't order the Smitty Burger it is still worth a stop.

Rick,

The photos are exceptional, as I have come to expect from you. I have to say that you present a fresh view of the falls and rain forest. So many shots of the Olympic peninsula seem to emphasize the dark and dank. Your's are much lighter in spirit and more inviting.

Even though I live within an easy days ride of the peninsula, I have had to leave it to you and Denny to make the loop! I have been as far as Port Angeles going counter clockwise, and Forks gouiing clockwise, but never closed the loop. One of these days.......

Dave

• 1 month later...