American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Palmantier's Motel

I do hope someone brings this baby back to life. I know it could be spruced up a bit more but it's not all that shabby and I suspect it would benefit from some serious Lincoln Highway based promotion. It's about halfway between Hanoverton (Spread Eagle Tavern) and Canton and right next to that good looking brick section.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm no expert on searching real estate records but I can find no record of this property being transferred nor any story on the auction. Did this perhaps not sell?

UPDATE: The auctioneer's website shows this "pending closing" with an auction price of $105,600.00. Sounds like a real bargain for someone willing to pursue the opportunity.

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

I'm Rainie the lucky bidder/winner of the Palmantier's Motel. It was more exciting than my wedding day. We are a family owned Mom and Pop Motel. We've put our heart and soul into the place and we love it!! There's been many major and minor repairs so all the things we'd really like to do may have to wait for a while. But I'm satisfied with the rooms and little by little we fix up more and more.

I got a phone call from the Palmantier's grandson and it was a wonderful conversation. I got a ton of history on the place. The house that came along w/it was built in 1875. It was the original Palmantier's Tourist Home. Later added on another house to that one. He also said Lassie stayed there at the Motel.

I hope you all will come visit us someday!

Rainie Sonntag

Sorry about your wedding day. :D

I've only stayed at the motel once and that was in the fall of 2008. It is a true classic and I really enjoyed my stay. My impression was that it could benefit from a little love and a little recognition. It sounds like it's getting the love and we can only hope that, as the LH gets more recognition, so will the treasures beside it. Wishing you great success. I will definitely be checking in the first chance I get.

• 1 month later...

I will definitely be checking in the first chance I get.

My first chance came yesterday. I didn't get to meet Rainie but I did meet her son, Kevin. I left with a much better feeling about the motel than I had in 2008. In 2008, the place was on a slow but visible decline. That decline has been more than reversed. I think the previous operator may have been blindsided by what it takes to run a motel. Not so the Sonntags. They knew what they were getting into and have things well in hand. And they seem to appreciate the fact that they're on a major historic highway. There are a few pictures and words about my stay here.

My first chance came yesterday. I didn't get to meet Rainie but I did meet her son, Kevin. I left with a much better feeling about the motel than I had in 2008. In 2008, the place was on a slow but visible decline. That decline has been more than reversed. I think the previous operator may have been blindsided by what it takes to run a motel. Not so the Sonntags. They knew what they were getting into and have things well in hand. And they seem to appreciate the fact that they're on a major historic highway. There are a few pictures and words about my stay here.

Denny,

Thank you sooo much for your kind words!!! It's people like you that will help us make a go of things. We are putting our heart and sole into the place. I love everything about it! There are many improvements to come but Rome wasn't built in a day. I wish I could have met you but it sounds like Kevin left a lasting impression on you.

Thank You For Your Business!!!!! Please return soon!!

I have followed this thread with interest, even though I was not in the market to buy a motel! It looks like the buyer is a winner, so the motel is certain to be a good place to stop. Now we need a few photos and some more posts with snappy leads.

Hey, I have a suggestion. How about a $5 discount to anyone who shows up carrying the latest issue of American Road Magazine?

(Becky, maybe there is something there to ponder as a win win! Motels could join the American Road Travel Club and get listed on the forum and/or the magazine web site, and the pass would be the current issue of American Road.)

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

I have followed this thread with interest, even though I was not in the market to buy a motel! It looks like the buyer is a winner, so the motel is certain to be a good place to stop. Now we need a few photos and some more posts with snappy leads.

Hey, I have a suggestion. How about a $5 discount to anyone who shows up carrying the latest issue of American Road Magazine?

(Becky, maybe there is something there to ponder as a win win! Motels could join the American Road Travel Club and get listed on the forum and/or the magazine web site, and the pass would be the current issue of American Road.)

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

You guys have made my day!! I'm dancing in the clouds right now. What Denny did was just awesome!! I saw the post and couldn't wait to tell Kevin. You're a great bunch of people. I'm so thankful I took out that ad in the American Road because it led me to you guys.

I'm okay with the computer but there's just no time to figure out all the web stuff, pictures and all. I get daily mail for fire or health inspections or paper work on a new license... That keeps me quite busy along with doing the books and running the motel. I'm open to any suggestions from you guys. I'd gladly give a 5.00 discount, that sounds like a great idea!! As for more pics and snappy leads I might need some help.

Thanks You Guys!!!!!!!!!!

Rainie