American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

The Dar & The National Old Trails Road

I had the occasion to speak to the local Daughters of the American Revolution chapter yesterday on the Cumberland Road. In preparation, I boned up the DAR's involvement in the early Good Roads movement.

I was surprised to find they were a driving force in the creation of the National Old Trails Road. The FHA has good article on the movement to create the road here.

I also found quite a bit of information in the DAR Magazines, circa 1913, which can be found on Google books.

~ Steve

I had the occasion to speak to the local Daughters of the American Revolution chapter yesterday on the Cumberland Road. In preparation, I boned up the DAR's involvement in the early Good Roads movement.

I was surprised to find they were a driving force in the creation of the National Old Trails Road. The FHA has good article on the movement to create the road here.

I also found quite a bit of information in the DAR Magazines, circa 1913, which can be found on Google books.

~ Steve

Steve,

Yes, I recall reading that. And, as I'm sure you have recognized elsewhere, they left their mark on a wide variety of projects and commemorations, including other roads (eg El Camino Real, Texas variety).

I don't know the social dynamic that made the group so active in the teens of the last century, but women's organizations of the time were clearly movers and shakers. I surmise that since women were blocked in commerce and government, they channeled some of their energy into these betterment projects.

I remember the story of the California El Camino Real (now US101) development. The women of Southern California were the powerhouse that pulled that recognition off. Had it been left to the men, we would still be calling it "the old road!" :blink:

Cheers! and Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave