American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

0710 National Parks Highway - Winona, Mn

I'm in Winona, Minnesota this morning, following the National Parks Highway along the west side of the Mississippi River, and along what is named today the Great River Road. There is a lot to like about Minnesota, and much to see. I drove a couple of original concrete sections of the NPH yesterday and spotted a couple of small 1922 bridges still in use along the way. But most of the remnants of the trail are in the businesses that were cited in the 1917 guide.

This was to be a scouting expedition, partly to see what still exited from the earliest days along the route of the National Parks Highway, and to get a taste for the areas it traveled through. The variety has been amazing, from mountain towns in the west, farm villages in the Dakotas, to steamboat landings along the Mississippi. I hope I will have the time soon to describe the route from end to end in photos and words.

Speaking of end to end, I have driven through and around every town and hamlet between the Puget Sound and here, with the exception of three. I didn't keep a count, but the towns listed in the guide alone amount to just over 100, and obviously the guide only listed towns where there were recommended hotels and garages. I have photographed something in virtually every town with a citation in the guide. And I have maintained two GPS tracks so that I can match photos and locations when I get home.

So I can claim that this has been a successful scouting expedition. And it has been fun and educational. For those among my friends (not here) who told me that I would be eaten by giant bugs......Nonsense. I have a total of about two bug splatters on the windshield per day! For those who said that strangers aren't welcome in small towns.....Nonsense...the problem is getting back on the road.....they want to take you to meet the family and friends.

I have today and tomorrow headed east, to end in Chicago.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Me too, me too!!!! Have enjoyed each day reading what you have posted - it's become a hi-point in my day.

I've always found the general rule in small towns is that people are friendly and glad to welcome you to their little piece of the world. And that's going back some

50 years!!!!! You just have to treat them with the respect you expect from them.

Y'all have a good one.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Looks like there's still a slim chance that you and Jim Marx could meet. Jim is the fellow who is bicycling the Yellowstone trail. He is also a forum member. The YT and NPH rejoin near Milwaukee and Jim was in South Milwaukee on the 9th (his most recent post). Jim started a few (about 36:-) days ahead of you but it seems you'll both be reaching Chicago about the same time.

Looks like there's still a slim chance that you and Jim Marx could meet. Jim is the fellow who is bicycling the Yellowstone trail. He is also a forum member. The YT and NPH rejoin near Milwaukee and Jim was in South Milwaukee on the 9th (his most recent post). Jim started a few (about 36:-) days ahead of you but it seems you'll both be reaching Chicago about the same time.

Denny,

Thanks for the heads up regarding Jim Marx! I have extended my stay in Madison to catch up a little, and plan my return route.

I may skip going into Milwaukee and Chicago. I am not a fan of cities, and I have no plans to explore alignments downtown anyway.

I am satisfied that the National Parks Highway went through both cities and I will trust others to document the route. I have period maps of the cities, so that will suffice for me.

In fact since the route between Milwaukee and Chicago was the same as the Yellowstone Trail, Jim can tell everyone what it is like!!! I will defer to his expertise. :)

I may drive toward Milwaukee to pick up a couple of places on the National Parks Highway, but not on the Yellowstone Trail, but I will trust that the route between Milwaukee and Chicago is already well documented or will be by Jim....thank goodness! :D

(PS, if you get the feeling I don't like big cities, you are right!! :angry:

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!