American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

702 National Parks Highway - Sacajawea Hotel

This is two lane travel as it is meant to be! I'm staying tonight (7/2/2010) at the Sacajawea Hotel in Three Forks, Montana. The place has been perfectly restored and furnished with everything from its finest days, ............but I'm inclined to think they never had it so good in the past. I unequivocally recommend a stop here. (Book a room with air conditioning in the Montana summer, especially if you live in the cool Northwest!)

The two young women at the desk (Katie and Dorothy) were pleasant and ready to help, and the lobby was pure 1917-18 National Parks Highway and Yellowstone Trail. I have no doubt that this was a preferred stop on both. I know it was recommended in the "1917" National Parks Highway Motorist's Service Guide, and it has a non photo ad in the 1920 Transcontinental Automobile Blue Book.

ARSacClerks.jpg

ARSacLobby.jpg

ARAd1920.jpg

The hotel was built in 1910 to serve passengers on the Milwaukee railroad. This was the stopping point for travelers planning to visit Yellowstone National Park. The photos will tell the story of what it looks like today.

ARSac&StatueTM.jpg

They have a wedding party here tonight. The group that is gathering looks like my image of Montanans. The guys are in jeans, the women in black cocktail dresses.

I had dinner at the hotel grill, but the only seats were at the bar, or bar booths. The wedding party had reserved the dinning room. The menue was facinating. I had the buffalo spare ribs. The last time I had buffalo spare ribs was like.........never. Very nice!

It has been forever since I sat in a bar alone. I was a bit of a "rounder" in my single days, but when I met my beautiful wife 30 years ago, the bars lost all their attraction. She was a little hesitant to marry me because of my wayward ways, but a happy man doesn't need to hang out alone at bars.

The customers were pure Montana. A man and wife, he in the same cap he wears on his tractor, and she with her blossoms blouse. A woman friend with a red tee shirt emblazed with old glory stops to say "Hello."

In walks the "retired cowboy" with clean (key word here) blue plaid shirt and blue jeans. His belt has the little metal decorations that look like spurs, and his white Stetson has a thin red band. Under his hat his grey hair hangs down to his collar. I don't see sweat stains on the brim, but his cowboy boots were worn, dusty, and worn at the heels. He has a $3 bar scotch and soda.

Another fellow walked in, wearing Montana Modern.......black shirt and clean black boots. He orders a $15 scotch. He asks a few questions about the expensive items on the menu and orders one. Out comes his iphone and he connects with his veterinarian, or his broker....I couldn't be sure.

It is hard to top a night at The Sacajawea! I wonder if the travelers on the National Parks Highway and Yellowstone Trail enjoyed it as much as I do? Stop in if you can.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

What a great find and story. Wonderful hotel. I propose you and I make plans to meet at the Sacajawea and we each throw fifteen bucks on the bar. You, me, AND the guy in the red trimmed Stetson could all get a pretty good buzz.

Jim,

I tell you these little Montana towns have some amazing restored old hotels. Who wada known?!

Denny,

Did I mention that the Buffalo Ribs were soaked in Moose Drool? I took a double take before I recalled that is a beer!!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave