American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Change Yellowstone Trail Forum Name

yttrailman

#1 There has been a fair amount of interest in the National Parks Highway, a sponsored, named route that generally followed much of the YT route. The two organizations competed with each other and their histories are intertwined in some respects.

#2 The original motivation for including US 20 with the YT forum is probably not applicable now. Also, US 20 follows only small sections of the YT and those primarily only in the far East. There is little "traffic" about US 20, although it could be kept as part of the Forum without being a problem.

Conclusion: Might we suggest the name of the forum be changed "The Yellowstone Trail and National Parks Highway?" or some such? It is hard to be interested in one and not the other!

YT Trailman

#1 There has been a fair amount of interest in the National Parks Highway, a sponsored, named route that generally followed much of the YT route. The two organizations competed with each other and their histories are intertwined in some respects.

#2 The original motivation for including US 20 with the YT forum is probably not applicable now. Also, US 20 follows only small sections of the YT and those primarily only in the far East. There is little "traffic" about US 20, although it could be kept as part of the Forum without being a problem.

Conclusion: Might we suggest the name of the forum be changed "The Yellowstone Trail and National Parks Highway?" or some such? It is hard to be interested in one and not the other!

YT Trailman

Hi,

We could do that. The other alternative is to create an additional forum for National Parks Highway. Would that be desirable?

Best,

Becky Repp

becky@americanroadmagazine.com

Hi,

We could do that. The other alternative is to create an additional forum for National Parks Highway. Would that be desirable?

Best,

Becky Repp

becky@americanroadmagazine.com

Becky,

As you know I am poised to launch a transcontinental drive from Puget Sound to Chicago on the National Parks Highway route, and I have discovered several artifacts of the period using Google Maps street view, period strip maps, and Automobile Blue Books . Certainly more will appear from a roadside perspective.

John Ridge and I have had some correspondence and as always he has been extremely helpful. He suggested the combined names for the forum some time ago. He clearly practices positive collaboration! I have followed his counsel and suggestion and posted in the Yellowstone Trail section.

John's offer comes out of his sense of collaboration which I endorse, and to which I hope I can contribute. I am happy with a combined forum, and the Yellowstone Trail must get its rightful top (first) billing.

However, John may have reason to reconsider his kind suggestion after he sees how his guest and colleague may "monopolize" the conversation. I am going to try to recreate an identity here for the National Parks Highway, and that means I may post prolifically. That could detract from the Yellowstone Trail dialog we have all enjoyed, something I don't want to do.

So my bottom line is I suggest we combine the two, lead with Yellowstone Trail in the name, and keep your option open if I get too "prolific" to shift the National Parks Highway to a different venue. In any event, John and I will continue to collaborate.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!