American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Us 50 In Indiana

The last sight worth seeing on my trip the other Saturday was tiny Hayden, Indiana. It's on a county road today, but my 1916 and 1924 ABBs send drivers through it, the latter guide naming it State Road 4. Coming upon this gas station only bolsters the notion that this was once the busy highway.

4697294519_a8328aca0c.jpg

4697928612_777d459cf3.jpg

I believe I misinterpreted the ABB in following the road that passed by this building, but what the heck, it's a great building.

4697298319_eea926b109.jpg

4697931136_80cede93ce.jpg

• 1 month later...

I drove over the great old bridge near North Vernon on Friday. Now I can't imagine how I ever missed the thing. I also answered the non-US-50 question I interjected about the cellars/tunnels in Aurora. They belonged to a brewery that closed in 1893 but whose young namesake is operating in Aurora right now. My visit to the bridge is here.

Jim,

More great shots and material.

I wonder if the globes on those gas pumps are facing the right way.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

Sharp eyes, Dave - the globes ARE facing the wrong way. Check out some old gas stations at this site: http://www.ohiobarns.com/othersites/gas/gas.html

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN