American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

The "short Cut"

The Traveling Dingleberries were out and about on Tuesday and wending our way to Brownsville. At Uniontown, PA, I decided to take, what I assumed was, a short cut to Brownsville, PA. Forty-five minutes later and our re-arrival in Uniontown proved one should not assume roads connect.

Our short cut took us, I believe,to the outskirts of Connellsville, PA (We were traveling blind... No maps or GPS.). Along the way, I shot this photo of an old Texaco Gas Station.

Remember, "You can trust your car to the man who wears the star."

texaco-star1_lrg.jpg

~ Steve

The Traveling Dingleberries were out and about on Tuesday and wending our way to Brownsville. At Uniontown, PA, I decided to take, what I assumed was, a short cut to Brownsville, PA. Forty-five minutes later and our re-arrival in Uniontown proved one should not assume roads connect.

Our short cut took us, I believe,to the outskirts of Connellsville, PA (We were traveling blind... No maps or GPS.). Along the way, I shot this photo of an old Texaco Gas Station.

Remember, "You can trust your car to the man who wears the star."

texaco-star1_lrg.jpg

~ Steve

Steve,

That is one great find! I would get lost deliberately if I could spot an old service station sign like that each time.

Was it Milton Berle who was sponsored by Texaco? I think it was, and the "regular" gas was called Fire Chief and the premium was called Sky Chief.

I like how you highlighted the sign and post in color and turned the rest grayscale.....but can you really "trust the man who Photoshops?" Just kidding of course! What would any of my shots look like without a tweak or two? I can tell you.....dull.

The fact that sign is still there is surprising because the station looks really long abandoned. Very nice find!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Steve,

That is one great find! I would get lost deliberately if I could spot an old service station sign like that each time.

Was it Milton Berle who was sponsored by Texaco? I think it was, and the "regular" gas was called Fire Chief and the premium was called Sky Chief.

I like how you highlighted the sign and post in color and turned the rest grayscale.....but can you really "trust the man who Photoshops?" Just kidding of course! What would any of my shots look like without a tweak or two? I can tell you.....dull.

The fact that sign is still there is surprising because the station looks really long abandoned. Very nice find!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Milton took over the show around 1948 - previously it had been a radio show in the 30's and 40's with Edd Wynne as the "fire chief". He gave way to Fred Allen and eventually Berle took it over when it went to TV.

That was the golden era of TV. Berle, Sid Cesar and Imogine Coca with their show - it was also the golden age of comedy.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

At least you got a very nice picture from your ramblings. I see a road heading north from Uniontown with the name Pittsburgh Road. Could this have been your "shortcut"?

Denny,

We headed out on the new Rt 40/119 but eventually it became Rt. 119 only. We may have gotten off at "Bute Rd." (SR1051) and followed that into Connellsville. Immediately after entering Connellsville (And directions), we got on Rt. 119 back to Uniontown. The road was designated a Heritage Route and I believe we did pass through West Leisenring. I might have remembered more had my skills as a navigator not been the subject of continuous ridicule. :lol:

~ Steve