American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Old Concrete Being Paved Over

Derion Albright just posted this to the Highway99 Yahoo group. I'm reposting it here since the affected road is in KtSotR's backyard -- assuming the typical thirty mile deep back yard.

To anyone that might be interested: Another stretch of concrete (i believe 1915 concrete) is about to disappear under blacktop. It is that stretch of Pacific Hwy now known as Valley Ave between Fife and Sumner WA. I don't know if this stretch ever carried the 99 banner, but it was Pacific Hwy before it was moved up onto the ridge and routed through Federal Way, Etc. For a few more days it can be viewed. I believe paving will start about the 17th. I photographed this particular stretch a few years ago, but only had film so I can't post. Up untill a couple of years there was an old roadhouse...I think Firwood or Fircrest. That has since burned. It is right on this particular stretch. I hope someone with digital capabilities will photograph it. Not too much of the old road left now.

Derion

Derion Albright just posted this to the Highway99 Yahoo group. I'm reposting it here since the affected road is in KtSotR's backyard -- assuming the typical thirty mile deep back yard.

Denny,

Thanks for the tip! I'll investigate, starting this evening with maps, and perhaps a drive tomorrow.

I have driven that road section, but it has been at least ten years ago.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Denny,

Thanks for the tip! I'll investigate, starting this evening with maps, and perhaps a drive tomorrow.

I have driven that road section, but it has been at least ten years ago.

Dave

Denny,

I took a look at that section of road using Google Earth street view last night. My 1917 strip map confirmed that it was part of the Pacific Highway, but I seriously doubt that the concrete pavement to be paved over dates to 1915. I think it is post 1920 and probably considerably later than 1920.

My first observation is that that road is heavily traveled and carries considerable truck traffic. I doubt the road construction standards and methods of 1915 would have produced a road that would bear that load over 95 years.

Second, it has a longitudinal joint. To the best of my knowledge, based on field examination and the standards published in the Good Roads annual, Volume 4, 1915 at Google Books, pg 144, longitudinal joints were not used. You may recall my visit to the Sunset Highway (AKA Yellowstone Trail and National Parks Highway) where dated (1919) concrete is still in place (not regularly traveled!!!). It has no longitudinal joint, which further supports what appears in the literature. And even with just a car a week over it, it is falling apart.

This was the Pacific Highway, it was a road as early as 1900 as per USGS map, and it has some sections of concrete pavement. But I very much doubt that it dates from the original period (1915). I would be delighted to be corrected, but in the absence of convincing evidence, I'm staying home.

Thanks for the tip! I'm truly delighted that someone out there gives a rip. I claim no expertise, so if Derion can enlighten me, I look forward to it. And if Derion gets interested I think I may know of a possible original concrete section down near Toledo.

Dave