American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Traveling The National Road... In Style

That is a 1951 Hornet Sedan. Not sure who it belongs to as there are several '51 Hornets in Indiana. Powered by a 308 cubic inch flat head six cylinder, these babies, in coupe form mostly, tore up the competition on the early NASCAR and AAA stock car tracks due to the low center of gravity - the floor pans are welded to the bottom of the frame, which gave rise to the name "step-down" as you "stepped down into the car."

These cars were designed to run on the roads we love to talk about and were very good at it. At one time, in the southeast, they competed very well against Ford coupes running moon-shine over southern roads.

Now you know more about Hudson's than you probably ever wanted to know. :D

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

...and even one MORE piece of Hudson trivia: Hudson successor American Motors (AMC was formed by the merger of Nash and Hudson, although it was really more of a Nash takeover than a merger of equals) kept the rights to the "Hornet" name and brought the name out of mothballs in 1969 for the all-new 1970 AMC Hornet. The Hornet's second incarnation lasted through the 1977 model year, and the basic 1970 Hornet body lasted, through the Concord and Eagle, all the way until the takeover of AMC/Jeep by the Chrysler Corporation in 1987!

...and even one MORE piece of Hudson trivia: Hudson successor American Motors (AMC was formed by the merger of Nash and Hudson, although it was really more of a Nash takeover than a merger of equals) kept the rights to the "Hornet" name and brought the name out of mothballs in 1969 for the all-new 1970 AMC Hornet. The Hornet's second incarnation lasted through the 1977 model year, and the basic 1970 Hornet body lasted, through the Concord and Eagle, all the way until the takeover of AMC/Jeep by the Chrysler Corporation in 1987!

Yep - unfortunately the AMC Hornet, while a decent car, sure wasn't your Daddy's Hornet!!!! :D

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Yep - unfortunately the AMC Hornet, while a decent car, sure wasn't your Daddy's Hornet!!!! :D

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Alex,

I was waiting for you to comment, knowing your expertise. You might mention that a Hornet featured in Cars....Doc Hudson Hornet. Here is a swell clip (not mine) :

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Nope. I want to know about those red wheels. A factory color? Period appropriate personal touch? Current owner's rebellious splash of color?

Nope. I want to know about those red wheels. A factory color? Period appropriate personal touch? Current owner's rebellious splash of color?

The red wheels were a factory color. The November 1950 Hudson Service Merchandiser, a house publication, lists several synthetic wheel enamels for 1951 Hudsons, among them a color called Vincennes Red. The body color looks to be a 1952 combo - Boston Ivory over Ebony Black ( also available in 1951)

Steve, welcome to the wacky world of Hudsons - glad to see your interest in the marque. Drop an email to our Hudson-Essex-Terraplane club magazine editor Sam Jackson @ hetfortyqtpi@earthlink.net (drop the het) and ask for a complimentary copy of the magazine, The WTN. I've been a member of the HET club long enough to wear a 40 year pin with pride.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

Alex,

Thanks for the info!

Born in 1950, the Hudson is part of my distant memories. They part and parcel of the jumble of memories that include '49 Fords with four twos, flat head Continental sixes and the infamous police interceptor engines. :)

~ Steve