American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

New Muscle Car Show At America On Wheels

Dave Reese

First I just wanted to let you know that I have my photos from our spring trip to Monticello, Charleston, Savannah, St Augustine, Asheville, and a bit more posted on Flickr. I started to write a blog to go with the photos, but other projects have moved that to the back burner. If you are interested in Chapter 1, it is at http://blog.britishcarforum.com/blog5.php, but only a small portion has been written up so far. I am working on Charleston, and will let you know when that appears in the blog.

Allentown PA's America On Wheels opened a new show of Pure Muscle featuring cars from 1964 - 1970. Flicker is where you will find a few photos showing the new items that arrived in the museum for the summer, but the most exciting to me is the display case in the museum's main lobby that contains a few items from my personal collection of slot cars. I am thrilled that the museum staff were willing to let me pick 93+ items to put in a show case for the summer, and hopefully through the Christmas Holiday Train show that will be at America On Wheels. Hopefully some of you can join us this year. I even got to put about 1/2 the records in the Seeburg 100-B juke box including hits from the 1960's, songs by local artists including the Cyrkle and Jay and the Techniques, and "Car Tunes". And I am currently working with author Dick Gutman on local diners from the muscle car era, and now. He has been providing me with vintage photos of the diners, and I am taking new photos for a program to see how well school students can do matching them. My research has also gotten me on the committee to work with the architect working on developing our upcoming snack bar in the museum to be called the "Hub Cap" which will be added to the second floor. I am looking forward to a fun summer at the museum.

Edited by Dave Reese

Yep, I've definitely got to get to America on Wheels and I've got to get to Monticello (covered in your blog), too. Though the blog currently stops just after Monticello, I ran through the whole slide show, enjoyed it all, and am looking forward to more tales from the trip. I imagine your 2400 miles included some expressway along with the two-lane and I'm curious about your impression of the Mini running steady-state. We all know how well it fits narrow twisties but I wonder if it felt uncomfortable or out of place on interstate style highways.

Sounds like you're having tons of fun at AoW. Filling that case with your own cars is certainly cool and so is working with Gutman and stocking the Seeburg.

Small world tidbit: Mike Losekamp, who was with The Cyrkle for their second (i.e., NOT Red Rubber Ball) album, now performs in the Dayton, Ohio, area with a group called White Rabbit.

Denny,

The Mini Cooper is great on the Interstates too. With the glass all around the visibility is perfect, and the car does not have problems with the 18-wheelers, wind, or anything else on the road. It is heavier and more stable than most little cars, and the Clubman makes a great 2-seater with substantial luggage storage too. The car is wider than it seems, so we have plenty of shoulder room too. It is my favorite road trip car to date.