American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Good News! The El Capitan In Van Horn Is Open Again.

The little lady was on a family visit to MO a couple of weeks ago, so I took a whirlwind trip to west Texas to search out some possible old alignments hinted at in the recently acquired 1922 Bankhead Tourist Guide (which I'll post soon on my bygonebywyays.com site). I made it to Van Horn, TX the first night late. The next morning, imaginie my pleasant surprise to see the large El Capitan neon glowing in a pre-dawn sky. A drive by shows that it has been recently re-purchased from a bank which was recently housed in there and refurbished/re-opened. A glance in the lobby shows what appears to be a very nicely done effort and I would advise anyone travelling through the area to give it a chance! Remember that this is a vintage hotel, similar to say the El Rancho in Gallup or somehting like that, so the rooms will be small compared to today's rooms, and there will be train noise, but that is part of the roadie experience.

I really enjoy the Van Horn-Allamoore-Sierra Blanca segment of old 80 in far wets Texas. These are true, pure travelers towns with many roadie relics remaining. Sierra Blanca in particular, though hit hard by the interstate, almost reminds me of say Glenrio, TX on Route 66 with its many remaining stations, motels, diners and even theatre sitting forlorn and abandoned. Though sad, terrific photo ops abound.

If in the Sierra Blanca area, I tried to check out the historic 1939 Sierra Lodge, btu it was undergoing renovation/repair which is a good sign. The El Camino down the street also appears quiet and may be a possible future spot. I'll hopefully let you know soon, or someone else can enlighten us.

Cheers,

Jeff in Tucson

Edited by Roamndav

That would have to be Chuy's (since 1959) at the west end of town. Sorry to say, I was on such a time constraint that I didn't stop in. Online reviews are mixed as to the food/service quality, but I'd stop in for the historical factor alone and check it out myself.

That would have to be Chuy's (since 1959) at the west end of town. Sorry to say, I was on such a time constraint that I didn't stop in. Online reviews are mixed as to the food/service quality, but I'd stop in for the historical factor alone and check it out myself.

Yep, that's it--Chuy's. Thanks!