American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Nat'l Road Postcard Find - Flintstone, Md Area

I found this image of "Donville Grove - 10 miles east of Cumberland, MD" on eBay a few days ago...

donville-grove-flintstone1_lrg.jpg

The location corresponds with the group of cabins I photographed a few week ago...

flintstone-camp1_lrg.jpg

... And with the caption in the Mohawk-Hobbs Guide "10.6 -54: Gas at small garage" (From Cumberland) See more images.

~ Steve

Look at the Coca Cola signs! These little stores and big Coca Cola signs were common. Odds are the bottles were in a big red Coca Cola chest, and submerged in ice. There were Cokes, Hires Root Beer, a Cream Soda, maybe an Orange Crush, and a Pepsi or two.

Just as a hot dog tastes better when eaten in the woods, a Coke is sweet nectar when sipped from a contoured glass bottle pulled from a tub of ice. The whole experience is different with a thin plastic bottle or aluminum can rolled out of a refrigerated robot. (Yah, it was better in the "old" days) ;):P

At the time of that photo Cokes were a nickel. I remember because we took a vacation in 1948 and some places were changing to a dime, which took a big bite out of my 25 cent weekly allowance.

The similarity in design, if not length, of the center building and the building in the old photo make me wonder just a little if they are related. I have seen buildings truncated, though not often. The door and window on the building in the newer photo seem to match up, but not the other window. Pure speculation, and trivial.

Nice Deja View!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Look at the Coca Cola signs! These little stores and big Coca Cola signs were common. Odds are the bottles were in a big red Coca Cola chest, and submerged in ice. There were Cokes, Hires Root Beer, a Cream Soda, maybe an Orange Crush, and a Pepsi or two.

Just as a hot dog tastes better when eaten in the woods, a Coke is sweet nectar when sipped from a contoured glass bottle pulled from a tub of ice. The whole experience is different with a thin plastic bottle or aluminum can rolled out of a refrigerated robot. (Yah, it was better in the "old" days) ;):P

At the time of that photo Cokes were a nickel. I remember because we took a vacation in 1948 and some places were changing to a dime, which took a big bite out of my 25 cent weekly allowance.

The similarity in design, if not length, of the center building and the building in the old photo make me wonder just a little if they are related. I have seen buildings truncated, though not often. The door and window on the building in the newer photo seem to match up, but not the other window. Pure speculation, and trivial.

Nice Deja View!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave,

I couldn't find a dead ringer either... Although the first floor on the 2-story building is similar. Unfortunately, the first floor is block and the gas station appears to be frame. There a number of small buildings scattered about this patch of property. I'm thinking it could have been a tourist camp also.

~ Steve