American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Google Maps Street View Goes 3d

Google Maps street view has gone 3D! I was planning a trip and using Google Maps to help, When I selected the street view, there was a little man wearing red blue glasses. Click on him and you get anaglyph 3D.

I think it started April 1. Wow!

Denny, now you also need red blue glasses! :lol: If it was an April Fools gag, I hope they keep it available!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave,

I saw the little guy with red/blues glasses on maps in the Hancock, MD, Sideling Hill, Cumberland area this morning. I just assumed he was the new map logo...

Steve

An understandable assumption! I don't recall what made me click on him.

Unfortunately the resolution, and therefore the sharpness, of Google's street shots outside major cities isn't quite good enough for snap in your face 3D. Not that I'm complaining....I think its a grand effort and But when you look at their city shots, they pop right out because they are done at a better quality.

I have in jest said that you don't need to go there anymore, just use Google. Now with 3D that's getting closer to true. What's next....smell and sound.

I used Google a couple of months ago to plan where to go in Florida. I was looking for unspoiled Gulf Coast villages, and Google proved to be the only way to cut through the Chamber of Commerce hype.. I found a great town I still need to write up...Cedar Keys.

Thank for the comeback!

Dave

Keep the show on the Road!

Denny, now you also need red blue glasses! :lol:

I actually have some old paper red blue glasses but they make things too dark to be really useful. Are there higher quality versions of these that don't dim things down so much?

I actually have some old paper red blue glasses but they make things too dark to be really useful. Are there higher quality versions of these that don't dim things down so much?

Denny,

I just ordered a "new and brighter" red blue (cyan) pair. I'll let you know what I think of them.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road