American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

It's Here - The *book* Version Of My Highway 80 Drive Guide!

As promised and in time for the Spring and Summer driving/vacation season, I'm proud tovannounce that the book version of my Highway 80 guide is here! From the Texas/New Mexico border to San Diego, you won't miss a thing. This incorporates the newest information I've been able to come across which includes detail from the recently acquired 1922 Bankhead Highway Tourist Guide!

For those that shied from a CD version, this is a large 8.5X11 222 pages full-color coilbound format so that the guide will stay open to the page you want. Each page has a footer for notes and one can read along the narrative or just follow the detailed turn-by turn maps in the back if you like. These macro and detail level maps ensure as much or as little detail as one could want.

This has been a long labor of love, and I look forward to sharing this with everyone and feel this will be a valuable addition to your collections.

Cheers, and see you on the road!

Jeff in Tucson

bygonebyways.com

Good Morning,

I ordered your book through PayPal. But I am not sure you received the order. Any encouraging words? We are anxious to see how you handled the layout and printing in as much as we are preparing a similar book for the Yellowstone Trail in Wisconsin.

John Ridge

jridge@yellowstonetrail.org

Hi John, I did receive your order and your book went out last week so you may be getting it even as we write! I hope you enjoy it and if you like the layout/quality, I can certainly help answer any questions regarding pricing, publisher, etc that you may have. I've bookmarked your website BTW, and can't wait to see what you're working on.

Michael, your book has also gone out. I sure hope you enjoy it as this is the perfect time of year to do some exploring around the SW!

quote name='yttrailman' date='02 April 2010 - 01:31 PM' timestamp='1270233078' post='14558']

Good Morning,

I ordered your book through PayPal. But I am not sure you received the order. Any encouraging words? We are anxious to see how you handled the layout and printing in as much as we are preparing a similar book for the Yellowstone Trail in Wisconsin.

John Ridge

jridge@yellowstonetrail.org

Michael, your book has also gone out. I sure hope you enjoy it as this is the perfect time of year to do some exploring around the SW!

Yes, it came today--next day service! Thanks--it looks great!

Since I'm off this week on a little 'staycation', I think I'll motor east tomorrow to the Cienega Creek/Marsh Station loop and possibly on to Benson and Tombstone if I've got time.

The book will be on the passenger seat--I'm so excited!

Did the Cienega Creek/Marsh Station loop today, with Jeff's book as a guide. Although I have driven this bit of old 80 quite a few times, thanks to the book I now know that there is an even older, pre-80 1921 alignment that dates from the completion of the bridge and veers off from the later, 1933 road in some areas. I'd driven right by those old bridge abutments and abandoned grades and never noticed them until now. The book is great, and incredibly thorough and detailed.

Can't wait to drive the Pinal Pioneer Parkway stretch (Tom Mix!) with the book along to spot old abandoned alignments!

Got one disagreement with the author (Jeff), though: He prefers Saguaro National Park's newer (1960s), West Unit, to the original (1933 established as Saguaro Nat'l Monument by Pres. Hoover) East Unit.

I'm a Saguaro East fan all the way! Much more history there, and better hiking trails. There's nothing to compare to the Cactus Forest Loop road (WPA built) in the West unit, nice though it also is.

Anyway, love the book. Highest recommendation.

• 3 weeks later...

Jeff,

My copy of "Drive the Broadway of America The US80 and Bankhead Highways across the American Southwest" was at the post office yesterday and I am more than delighted. This is what every road book should be!

The maps are outstanding, and the photos and road ephemera are a celebration all by themselves. I would have bought the book for the illustrations and maps alone, and I get your excellent descriptions as well. You obviously know and love the Bankhead, and your expertise shows. Over 200 full size pages packed with goodies!

The only downside for me is that I don't live near enough to jump in the car today, and start taking advantage of your excellent work. But don't worry, I'm already behind the wheel of my mind as I follow your pages.

I didn't expect every page to be in such excellent and sharp color. You obviously gave great care to the quality of your work, and the spiral binding is what everyone should use.

I have driven a few short sections of US80, and now I realize how much I missed without your book. I can recommend it to anyone who has an interest in road trips, whether on the Bankhead or not!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Jeff,

I have driven a few short sections of US80, and now I realize how much I missed without your book. I can recommend it to anyone who has an interest in road trips, whether on the Bankhead or not!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Amen to that! I sure wish I'd had it with me in '08 when we were (fruitlessly, as it turned out) searching for the Old Plank Road remnants west of Yuma.