American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Great Day On The Road - Including A Few Deja Views

We had a great day out on the National Road yesterday without traveling far from the house. We ate lunch at Kline's Restaurant, at the Narrows Bridge/Lover's Leap (Great comfort food) and then shot photos from that point to just below Clarysville.

We found two abandoned sections of the road between LaVale and Clarysville. One, unfortunately, was still snow-covered but looks like it may have the remains of a stone bridge. (We go back when the snow melts.)

I also got a couple of "Deja Views"... Here's the first:

allegany-grove-emporium-deja1_lrg.jpg

The Emporium at Allegany Grove. I believe the first postcard to be circa late 1930s - Early 1940s.

More shortly.

~ Steve

Another abandoned road section...

natl-road-realign-near-clarysville-bw1_lrg.jpg

This section now accesses a private driveway. If you look in the distance, you can see I-68. Under the snow is the remains of an old stone bridge.

natl-road-realign-near-clarysville-bw2_lrg.jpg

Same section looking toward new (circa 1950s) alignment of Alt 40.

Map it You can see the road section leaving Alt 40 and the driveway branching off to the left (or to the right in the photo above).

~ Steve

Edited by Steve_Colby

Here's a couple more Deja Views from LaVale, MD...

lavale-house-deja1_lrg.jpg

lavale-natl-road-deja1_lrg.jpg

~ Steve

Steve,

Great shots!! What do you think the age of the images in the post cards might be? I'm guessing 1910 plus or minus 5. I suppose the tracks in the second card are for an interurban line. Do you know? I'm guessing that because nice homes would have been built on an interurban, but not usually on a mainline railroad.

Again...great stuff!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave,

I think you hit the date right about on the nose. You were right again on the tracks... They belong to the Cumberland & Westernport. Here's a photo of one of their cars in the old Narrows Park (about 1/2 mile so east.)

trolley-narrows-park1_lrg.jpg

This Google Sat. Map will put you right on the roof of the house in the first (and second) postcards.

The house has a very unusual garage (You can see it in the background of first Deja View shots.). At first I thought it was depot or something similar. I have close-ups of it I will post shortly.

~ Steve

Edited by Steve_Colby

Lemme get this straight -- in LaVale, the old road is now in the front yard of these houses here, and the current road is more or less in the interuruban right of way? That's what it looks like on Google Maps, anyway!

I love these shots, btw. Great stuff.

Lemme get this straight -- in LaVale, the old road is now in the front yard of these houses here, and the current road is more or less in the interuruban right of way? That's what it looks like on Google Maps, anyway!

I love these shots, btw. Great stuff.

Jim,

The interurban got "GMC'd" in the 1930s from what I understand. (The trolleys were replace with "modern" buses.) The road that runs immediately in front of the houses still exists as it did in the early pictures... As a gravel access road. The current National Road covers both the old Nat'l Road and the trolley right-of-way now. (3 lanes)

~ Steve

Edited by Steve_Colby

I was surprised to spot the back of my Cadillac, mostly under the carport, but the back end sticking out into the driveway a little, on Google Earth. Clicked on one of the little cameras in the middle of my street in front of my house and there's my car - could tell by the license plate number.

I've lived here since July 2007, so they must update periodically. I also took a look at where I used to live in Maine - my ex told me she'd had the house painted - GE showed it clearly.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

The house has a very unusual garage (You can see it in the background of first Deja View shots.). At first I thought it was depot or something similar. I have close-ups of it I will post shortly.

~ Steve

Steve,

Is that not a carriage house, where the horses, carriages, and help were housed? Looking forward to the better shots for clarification....

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

Steve,

Is that not a carriage house, where the horses, carriages, and help were housed? Looking forward to the better shots for clarification....

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

Dave,

It probably was a carriage house/servants quarters but it really catches your eye from the road.

lavale-garage2_lrg.jpg

lavale-garage1_lrg.jpg

I've seen nothing else like it in the area.

~ Steve