American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Old Hwy 6 & 50 East To Delta, Ut?

Hi folks,

I'm planning a Vespa trip from Seattle to Miami. Part of this trip will take me through Nevada & Utah on US 50. I have some old alignment questions.

First, let's start the day at Ely, Nevada. I'll take 6/50 heading east through Majors Place and around the ghost town of Osceloa. Modern 50 loops around Osceola, but the last time I did it, I wondered if Old 50 ever passed through it instead of around it. I've heard that Osceola Road is in pretty nasty condition.

After the Osceola area, traveling east, there are some old alignments on your left. A few are loops that reattach to the modern road, but one of them (White Pine County RD 41?) seems to cross the border and connect to a well-marked alignment called Old 6 & 50 (on GoogleMaps).

My question here is was RD 41 ever old 6/50?

My bigger question is about this Old 6 & 50 segment. It travels for about 100 miles to Delta. What is the history of this road? When was it used? When was it done away with? In what condition is it now? Paved? Gravel? Really crappy dirt?

If I remember correctly, there is a gas station at the NV/UT border on modern 50, so I'll have to gas up there before heading out to Old 6 & 50, but it would be nice to know how the old road went into Utah from the Osceola.

For reference, this is the area I'm referring to.

Thanks!

Hi folks,

I'm planning a Vespa trip from Seattle to Miami. Part of this trip will take me through Nevada & Utah on US 50. I have some old alignment questions.

First, let's start the day at Ely, Nevada. I'll take 6/50 heading east through Majors Place and around the ghost town of Osceloa. Modern 50 loops around Osceola, but the last time I did it, I wondered if Old 50 ever passed through it instead of around it. I've heard that Osceola Road is in pretty nasty condition.

After the Osceola area, traveling east, there are some old alignments on your left. A few are loops that reattach to the modern road, but one of them (White Pine County RD 41?) seems to cross the border and connect to a well-marked alignment called Old 6 & 50 (on GoogleMaps).

My question here is was RD 41 ever old 6/50?

My bigger question is about this Old 6 & 50 segment. It travels for about 100 miles to Delta. What is the history of this road? When was it used? When was it done away with? In what condition is it now? Paved? Gravel? Really crappy dirt?

If I remember correctly, there is a gas station at the NV/UT border on modern 50, so I'll have to gas up there before heading out to Old 6 & 50, but it would be nice to know how the old road went into Utah from the Osceola.

For reference, this is the area I'm referring to.

Thanks!

Eric,

The long and short answer is "Yes, the predecessor to US 50 went through Osceola."

I recall a few years ago "researching" that section. My recollections have faded away, but the 1920 California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona ABB map and turn by turns are clear. They also include road condition. By 1926 Clason's atlas shows the road going in a loop further north (as now.

When is your trip?

Rattle my chain and remind me in a couple of days and I will scan the relevant pages if you want them. The pass is 7535 ft and there are a couple of possible roadside artifacts that could be of interest.

BTW a couple of years ago, I "blazed" the Hypotenuse Trail from Miami to the Puget Sound all (except about 13 miles) off the interstates. What are you calling your adventure?

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Great about Osceola! There's a page about it here. Might be fun to see. The page is confusing as it says "You can follow ditch to town, but need to be an experienced hiker." Those directions seem to be from the Great Basin Park. The road from 50 looks very drivable.

My biggest question is oddly enough not about a short alignment and ghost town that nobody's ever heard of, but about the 100 mile long stretch of Old 6 & 50 just after Osceola. It's strange how little information I've found on it. Actually, I've found nothing at all. There's some stuff about Eskdale, the Latter Day Saints spin-off group that has a commune there, but nothing about the road itself.

Satellite images make it look like it's gravel, but that's always up to interpretation. There are some parts that look paved (I even see a car!).

So any info on this stretch is VERY needed (in a life or death sort of way - I'll be on two wheels).

The trip is from mid May to mid June. I'll be sure to hit late snow somewhere and nasty winds/dust storms somewhere else. I swore never to travel through the southwest in the spring again, but at least the wind will be at my back instead of in my face, slowing me down to 45mph... that is, until the return trip...

As for the name of the trip, I'm not really sure. I've been pretty good about naming trips prior to this (Quick as a Turtle, Scoot 66, Short 66, etc). I almost named Scoot 66 "The Sprung from Cages Tour" from the Springsteen song "Born to Run" and I considered naming this one that, but that doesn't make sense to me unless I were to leave from Jersey (or at least the east coast).

I even thought about taking the same route as you did for the Hypotenuse Trail, but I couldn't resist the allure of US 50 through Nevada on the way there and a bit of Route 66 in Missouri on the way back.

But as for names... nothing yet. Hopefully soon.

This is a rough outline of the trip...

trip.jpg

-Eric

Edited by sit properly

Great about Osceola! There's a page about it here. Might be fun to see. The page is confusing as it says "You can follow ditch to town, but need to be an experienced hiker." Those directions seem to be from the Great Basin Park. The road from 50 looks very drivable.

My biggest question is oddly enough not about a short alignment and ghost town that nobody's ever heard of, but about the 100 mile long stretch of Old 6 & 50 just after Osceola. It's strange how little information I've found on it. Actually, I've found nothing at all. There's some stuff about Eskdale, the Latter Day Saints spin-off group that has a commune there, but nothing about the road itself.

Satellite images make it look like it's gravel, but that's always up to interpretation. There are some parts that look paved (I even see a car!).

So any info on this stretch is VERY needed (in a life or death sort of way - I'll be on two wheels).

The trip is from mid May to mid June. I'll be sure to hit late snow somewhere and nasty winds/dust storms somewhere else. I swore never to travel through the southwest in the spring again, but at least the wind will be at my back instead of in my face, slowing me down to 45mph... that is, until the return trip...

As for the name of the trip, I'm not really sure. I've been pretty good about naming trips prior to this (Quick as a Turtle, Scoot 66, Short 66, etc). I almost named Scoot 66 "The Sprung from Cages Tour" from the Springsteen song "Born to Run" and I considered naming this one that, but that doesn't make sense to me unless I were to leave from Jersey (or at least the east coast).

I even thought about taking the same route as you did for the Hypotenuse Trail, but I couldn't resist the allure of US 50 through Nevada on the way there and a bit of Route 66 in Missouri on the way back.

But as for names... nothing yet. Hopefully soon.

This is a rough outline of the trip...

trip.jpg

-Eric

Eric,

Your map shows the route to be a big gulp of the USA! Do it!

I'm going to pass on the matter of the current road conditions along the old alignment of US6. I lack concrete info. I know the segment is there and I mentioned it to Becky a couple of years ago when there were discussions of US6. She noted that the chief organizer of the modern Route 6 is on the forum, so maybe you could get his attention.

If I were doing it, I would contact the road department in that county or counties. They will tell you when they plan to grade it (as after winter damage) and its typical condition in your time frame. The life and death thing can be serious, and at least a major discomfort, if you have mechanical or other problems (as you well know).

Ara (beemerchef) uses Spot, and I have noticed units at Fred Meyers for about $150. They allow you to be tracked on the web via a signal to satellite every few minutes, and provide for an emergency message up to satellite and out to someone's e-mail. I'd definitely look into it if I traveled alone off road much. And you can hype how your peeps can track your progress!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

Eric,

Your map shows the route to be a big gulp of the USA! Do it!

I'm going to pass on the matter of the current road conditions along the old alignment of US6. I lack concrete info. I know the segment is there and I mentioned it to Becky a couple of years ago when there were discussions of US6. She noted that the chief organizer of the modern Route 6 is on the forum, so maybe you could get his attention.

If I were doing it, I would contact the road department in that county or counties. They will tell you when they plan to grade it (as after winter damage) and its typical condition in your time frame. The life and death thing can be serious, and at least a major discomfort, if you have mechanical or other problems (as you well know).

Ara (beemerchef) uses Spot, and I have noticed units at Fred Meyers for about $150. They allow you to be tracked on the web via a signal to satellite every few minutes, and provide for an emergency message up to satellite and out to someone's e-mail. I'd definitely look into it if I traveled alone off road much. And you can hype how your peeps can track your progress!

Dave

Dave!

You and I think alike and that's great! I was just thinking that it would be neat if people could follow me via GPS. The safety was secondary (which in itself scares me a bit - hehe). I do know, however, that my mom would just love it. Thanks! I believe I'll be picking one of these up. I realize that in a place such as the middle of nowhere, a breakdown means roughing it big time. There's no cell coverage and if it's not a weekend, probably very little car traffic. I definitely need to think about this.

Looking into Spot, I'll have to see how I could incorporate it into my blog and just how I could use it for safety.

I think I'll definitely contact the county about the road. I've been on some REALLY nasty roads, but not for more than 20 miles. At this point, it would take a lot of convincing for me not to take this old alignment - I just want to know what I'm in for.

Thanks!

-Eric

ps - A more detailed write up of my trip there is here. The trip back will follow in a couple of days.

Edited by sit properly

Just wanted to say that you're inspiring some jealousy here! Keep us apprised as you continue to plan! jim

Thanks! Glad to be of some service. :)

Ok, here's the second leg of the trip (from Miami to Seattle).

I'll post more about this on my blog and will see if there's a forum here to post in about it (since very little of the trip actually takes place on US 50 - or any specific road).

And if I learn more about the segment of Old 6 & 50, I'll definitely post it here.

-Eric

Thanks! Glad to be of some service. :)

Ok, here's the second leg of the trip (from Miami to Seattle).

I'll post more about this on my blog and will see if there's a forum here to post in about it (since very little of the trip actually takes place on US 50 - or any specific road).

And if I learn more about the segment of Old 6 & 50, I'll definitely post it here.

-Eric

Eric,

You are probably way ahead of me on your research of the route between Baker and Delta, but I did a simple search on Google and came up with a 1921 newspaper description of the route. As you know, this was part of the Grand Central Highway. I also spotted an article in 1922 mentioning that the Automobile Club of Southern California had agreed to log the segment from Ely eastward.

Old Newspaper Story

I recall from earlier newspaper "research" that local folks were promoting the Grand Central as a better alternative to the Lincoln, which crossed the desert further to the north, but also went through Ely. They must have been on to something,! A search of Utah newspapers would no doubt give you much more on the Grand Central, which ran from Salt Lack City to Ely, via Delta.

Beyond being an old section of the Grand Central Highway, it is also an old section of US6 and US50. It gets the old juices going to think of exploring it! But that is also one long stretch of uninhabited territory! Once past Robinson's Ranch, I didn't see a single sign of habitation (using Google Earth) until you reach Hinckley. Definitely no cell phone coverage!!! I bet it gets less traffic in May than the old Lincoln, which is maybe one car every couple of days. I hope you follow up on the SPOT, or at the very least predetermined times for phone calls on your arrival in Delta.

I tell folks that with water and blankets, there is little real danger beyond discomfort in auto travel on the back roads most of the time, but I don't know about a Vespa, and May. At 5500 feet you can have surprise snow through June, and I can tell you from first hand experience that even half an hour of rain can turn Utah dirt to snail spit. I was on the Lincoln in June and almost got stranded just by a squall.... the road changed in minutes from dust to tire hugging gumbo....you don't want to go slip sliding away.

Dave

I rarely find myself frightened of a road. This one, however, really scares me.

First though, the history... I've been VERY lax in my research of the route. The name "Grand Central Highway" is completely new to me. A quick search brings up a few pages about it - that it was from SLC to Hinckley with a bit west of there. There's not much mention of it connecting to Ely, though I'm assuming it did.

The "bit west of there" is the part that concerns me.

Here's a potentially telling passage that I came across:

It was not until September 1952 that paving was completed west of Delta, largely on a new alignment south of the old road. Business Week described the original route as "nothing but a wagon trail-rutted, filled with dust...one of the worst chunks of federal [sic] road in the country." A two day celebration was held in Delta to mark the occasion.

The new alignment is where US 6 is now - I traveled it in 2008 and mostly it's pretty boring. Was Business Week using hyperbole in their description of the old road? Probably a bit. But it's clear that as of 1952, it was not paved. Looking at GoogleEarth it *does* appear to be paved or is gravel. Either would be fine(ish).

Back to the history - it also appears that this alignment was part of the National Roosevelt Midland Trail from Washington DC to LA. Prior to 1922, it followed the Lincoln Highway through Utah, but after that, it used what is now US 6 from Santaquin, UT to Ely, NV. The Midland Trail was first signed in 1913, making it possibly the oldest transcontinental auto trail. (Help me out here, is this true?)

Dave, the article you linked to is great, thanks so much!

I will be traveling this in very late May. I traveled it in early June of 2008. There will be no cell coverage, you're right. SPOT is a great thing, but a bit out of my price range. The unit isn't bad at all, but the yearly subscription is $100. That's not bad for a whole year, but I'm only going to be traveling for three weeks. And only one day of those three weeks is actually dangerous (beyond normal Vespa-related dangers).

There is one "saving grace" here. It appears that I will be traveling this road on Memorial Day. I'll be leaving Ely at dawn and will be hitting this old stretch by mid morning. There are ATV and hiking trails all around this road. Of all days, this one will bring some traffic. That makes me feel a little better. Also, there are a few connector roads to current US 6.

Road conditions are still an issue and for that, I am emailing the secretary and director of the Roads and Noxious Weeds Department in Millard County (not sure why they handle both) and a general tourism person for the county. Hopefully I'll get some answers.

Doesn't this 100 mile old alignment just call to you? How can I not take it? If I don't, I know that I'll regret it. That said, I do want to survive it.

-Eric

I rarely find myself frightened of a road. This one, however, really scares me.

First though, the history... I've been VERY lax in my research of the route. The name "Grand Central Highway" is completely new to me. A quick search brings up a few pages about it - that it was from SLC to Hinckley with a bit west of there. There's not much mention of it connecting to Ely, though I'm assuming it did.

The "bit west of there" is the part that concerns me.

Here's a potentially telling passage that I came across:

It was not until September 1952 that paving was completed west of Delta, largely on a new alignment south of the old road. Business Week described the original route as "nothing but a wagon trail-rutted, filled with dust...one of the worst chunks of federal [sic] road in the country." A two day celebration was held in Delta to mark the occasion.

The new alignment is where US 6 is now - I traveled it in 2008 and mostly it's pretty boring. Was Business Week using hyperbole in their description of the old road? Probably a bit. But it's clear that as of 1952, it was not paved. Looking at GoogleEarth it *does* appear to be paved or is gravel. Either would be fine(ish).

Back to the history - it also appears that this alignment was part of the National Roosevelt Midland Trail from Washington DC to LA. Prior to 1922, it followed the Lincoln Highway through Utah, but after that, it used what is now US 6 from Santaquin, UT to Ely, NV. The Midland Trail was first signed in 1913, making it possibly the oldest transcontinental auto trail. (Help me out here, is this true?)

Dave, the article you linked to is great, thanks so much!

I will be traveling this in very late May. I traveled it in early June of 2008. There will be no cell coverage, you're right. SPOT is a great thing, but a bit out of my price range. The unit isn't bad at all, but the yearly subscription is $100. That's not bad for a whole year, but I'm only going to be traveling for three weeks. And only one day of those three weeks is actually dangerous (beyond normal Vespa-related dangers).

There is one "saving grace" here. It appears that I will be traveling this road on Memorial Day. I'll be leaving Ely at dawn and will be hitting this old stretch by mid morning. There are ATV and hiking trails all around this road. Of all days, this one will bring some traffic. That makes me feel a little better. Also, there are a few connector roads to current US 6.

Road conditions are still an issue and for that, I am emailing the secretary and director of the Roads and Noxious Weeds Department in Millard County (not sure why they handle both) and a general tourism person for the county. Hopefully I'll get some answers.

Doesn't this 100 mile old alignment just call to you? How can I not take it? If I don't, I know that I'll regret it. That said, I do want to survive it.

-Eric

Eric,

That section of road has more history than you might suppose, especially in local county newspapers. It has been sometime since I did research on that road, but the Utah digital newspapers site ( a wonderful resource) has several mentions of the road.

I am pretty confident it is all dirt. I don't imagine any real danger, but you could have some big time discomfort brought on by quickly changing weather or a mechanical failure. The prospect of recreational vehicles on Memorial Day is a plus, because I recall meeting only one vehicle on the old Lincoln further north, in June.

No matter, its there, and it must be driven (or ridden).

I wouldn't ignore the segment through Osceola either. I'm thinking the old US6 US50 alignment could be pretty monotonous in so far as interesting roadside sites are concerned....there is a pass, and little else once past Robinson's Ranch. And it isn't well described in that the Automobile Blue Books, Hobbs, and the like didn't seem to cover it.

I have an inkling that the route you are pursuing came into prominence about 1920, because in 1921 or 1922, the people of the area were petitioning the Automobile Club of Southern California to log it. And it doesn't appear in the 1920 ABB (nor for that matter the 1925 edition). The route logged in 1920 goes via Garrison, Milford, and then north to Kanosh, and despite its obvious extra length, it is recommended over the Lincoln Highway route through Gold Hill.

The most obvious deterrent to a ride through Osceola is the elevation (7500 feet) and the prospect of snow pack in May. But the site below says April works.....so?

Osceola Ghost Town Link

Just a few thoughts...

Dave

I'll have to do some checking and research on the historical bits, but I have some good news!

I got a reply from the county....

Eric,

This road is all gravel. It is graded and in good shape at this point. It has some traffic on it depending on the day. Heavy rains can cause wash outs. Vehicles do not need to be 4 wheel drive but do need to have some clearance. It is a good gravel off road. Always be prepared. Good tires and water are always recommended. Have a good trip.

Teri Taylor,

Secretary Millard County Road Department

Not bad! I can do gravel. I can even do small washes. The weather could be a factor, but by Memorial Day, it should all be pretty cleared up. Snow pack might be an issue over Oscala, but I'll be able to see that from the main road.

The area from Ely to the boarder is beautiful. Amazingly gorgeous. I wasn't very unimpressed with Utah and I'm hoping that this old road can change that a bit. It's looking like this will be a long day. Might have to stop in Delta for the night.

All my worries (well most of them) are gone. This should be quite a bit of fun.

Incidentally, is the Trip Planning forum the place to talk about specific road trip planning or is it more of a generic overview (in a good way)?

-Eric

I'll have to do some checking and research on the historical bits, but I have some good news!

I got a reply from the county....

Eric,

This road is all gravel. It is graded and in good shape at this point. It has some traffic on it depending on the day. Heavy rains can cause wash outs. Vehicles do not need to be 4 wheel drive but do need to have some clearance. It is a good gravel off road. Always be prepared. Good tires and water are always recommended. Have a good trip.

Teri Taylor,

Secretary Millard County Road Department

Not bad! I can do gravel. I can even do small washes. The weather could be a factor, but by Memorial Day, it should all be pretty cleared up. Snow pack might be an issue over Oscala, but I'll be able to see that from the main road.

The area from Ely to the boarder is beautiful. Amazingly gorgeous. I wasn't very unimpressed with Utah and I'm hoping that this old road can change that a bit. It's looking like this will be a long day. Might have to stop in Delta for the night.

All my worries (well most of them) are gone. This should be quite a bit of fun.

Incidentally, is the Trip Planning forum the place to talk about specific road trip planning or is it more of a generic overview (in a good way)?

-Eric

Eric,

Sounds like a clearance to launch!

Your question about where to post is excellent, and I don't have a clear answer. As a courtesy, I try to post in the "proper" forum, and I suppose that Trip Planning would be the obvious choice. But I often wonder how different audiences approach the forum.

Because I'm a regular visitor, I just use "View New Content" so it is irrelevant which forum a post appears in. On the other hand, a casual visitor might choose a forum of interest, or a search by topic.

There certainly must be some folks who only care about say US6 or US50, and only look at those forums, so when the topic is clearly related to a specific highway, I suppose it pays to post there.

So far, not very helpful....but my bottom line guess is that it makes little real difference. The folks who are regulars will pick up an interesting post wherever it is posted , and those are the folks you are likely to receive replies from.

Another comment might be of help to all of us. There are a half dozen folks here who will reply, either out of interest ,or as a courtesy. They keep this forum alive.

As you know, it takes considerable effort to prepare a good post, as with your maps, photos, links, etc. If you get no or little response, sooner or later you lose interest. When you lose interest, you don't post, and new content dries up. Then there is no reason to visit, and the forum declines. Contests and my favorite burger joint don't keep me posting.

But your planned trip is a winner. If all but a few of us sit on our hands and don't reply, you won't take the time to post. Why should you? Who wants to talk to the wind?

Obviously my message isn't aimed at you. But personally, I think we could do better with encouraging folks to post and be active. It all boils down to "If no one else gives a damn, why should I?" :angry::)

Dave

I, like Dave, just click "View New Content," so I'll find your posts no matter where they are. I tend to talk about my trips in the forum about the road if there is one, or in "other highways" (whatever it's called) if the road doesn't have its own forum. I've never posted in Trip Planning.

I'm very impressed that you wrote to, and heard back from, that county road department.

jim

I, like Dave, just click "View New Content," so I'll find your posts no matter where they are. I tend to talk about my trips in the forum about the road if there is one, or in "other highways" (whatever it's called) if the road doesn't have its own forum. I've never posted in Trip Planning.

I'm very impressed that you wrote to, and heard back from, that county road department.

jim

Jim,

Just as a note, you are one of the good guys when it comes to replies. I know I appreciate it a lot!

Dave

Eric,

I have just looked at the more detailed version of your outbound trip, and I am fascinated. It was more of a gulp than I could consume in one swallow, but I have done some of it and might be able to toss in a thought or two.

As a minor comment, check the status of the bridges across the Columbia. Last time I recall, one of them was under repair.

If you take 197, you might enjoy swinging off at Dufur (old hotel), and if you have an extra half hour, you might visit the Indians fishing at Shears bridge which is on a modest detour between Tygh Valley and Maupin....which also takes you along the Deschutes and the river rafters. There is a good diner in Tygh Valley, BTW.

If you are so inclined, you can take the old alignment down Cow Canyon (parallels the modern road), just below where 197 and 97 merge, and without much effort also see and walk the old stage road....three generations of travel! The first auto down that canyon lost its fenders in the process! Look for the old road access not far beyond the rest stop.

I would not choose 97 via Klamath Falls beyond La Pine....way too busy with too many fools headed in or out of Bend doing the "cross the double line dance." And if you can't easily maintain 70, you will be run over by trucks, or blown off the road when they pass you. I also find the route through Merrill and Tule Lake boring. I much prefer the road via Paisley and Lakeview, which is ponderosa pine and desert, but with lots of scenery and very little traffic. Not only that, but you get the connection with John Fremont and Summer Lake tossed in, and a couple of real western towns on the way. A short side trip to Fort Rock is worth considering also.

I would consider a small detour over Fandango Pass into Cedarville so I could say I took an original section of the Applegate Oregon Trail, but the pass is a only good dirt road.

Again, just a few thoughts on the first couple of days.....

Dave

Ok! Lots of info here!

I've rerouted the first day to go through Dufur (I probably would have anyway). Also, there's an old alignment just south of that that I'll be taking. Also, I'll be taking older alignments south of where 97 meets 197. The day will look sort of like this.

For the next day, I pretty much just took your advice, which changed the whole day for me. Thanks! I can easily maintain 70mph, but that's really not a lot of fun. I had never heard of Fort Rock before. Just checked out a picture of it. I NEED to see this. Thanks!

I'm not sure about Fandango Pass though. Is that CA-299?

Anyway, Day Two looks mostly like this.

As for where to post, you're right in a lot of ways - if nobody replies, why post? But also, there are a lot of lurkers here. They may not post, but they'll read (hopefully). Also, I'll be blogging about the planning and during the trip itself, so I might just find a way to cross post (even if it's just a link and a hello).

Jim, I was pretty impressed that I heard back from them too. Maybe there's not much to do in that part of Utah. :)

I'll probably make a summary post about the planning & routing. I'd love for some other ideas about roads along every part of the trip. I'll work on that. It's already up on my blog, but for the forum, I'll probably use GoogleMaps so that folks here can get more detailed.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Your trip sounds really great.

I apologize for the tardiness of my reply. When we get into the last month of production for the upcoming issue of American Road I find myself barely having time to breath. So, now, I'm catching up a bit.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone answered your question re: the station at the state line (between Utah and Nevada). But, yes, there is one there. There's some history about the place, and about US 50 through Nevada in one of our back issues of American Road. Specifically, it was Volume II, #3. Its a good place to stop for a beverage, etc.

I've traveled the stretch between Delta and Ely, there are no services until you hit the state line. We passed one car and one hiker. I recommend bringing water and snacks. I also highly recommend starting the trip with a full tank of gas. Its a long walk if you run out. Not sure how cell service is out there either. You might want to contact the Chamber of Commerce in Ely, NV (The White Pine Chamber). http://www.whitepinechamber.com/. Ask for Evie (send her my best!).

I'll see if I can wrangle up some resources for you for US Highway 6.

Best,

Becky

Hi Becky!

Thanks for the reply.

I rode US 50 through that area in 2008 - I think I did stop at the station on the border, though it's doubtful that I did much more than swipe my card, fill up the tank and roll on.

Now, I'm doing US 50 through Nevada again, but once heading into Utah, I'll be riding on an old alignment that was used until the 50s. I'm pretty excited about it. I'm pretty excited about the whole trip.

Route 50 is only a small portion of it, but I've been focusing on the first few days. Soon, I'll be branching out to the other routes I'll be taking. I'll be sure to speak up shortly. :)

Thanks! And thanks for the tip on the back issue. I'll be picking it up soon.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

SPOT should run about $100 and sometimes a $50 rebate. The service with tracking is $150 a year. It sends

out a message of your location ever ten minutes, which can be seen on the internet. You can send a message,

"I'm OK" "Help" to an email address or a text message to phone. Also you can call 911 and they will know

who to get ahold of for you. When you buy it you can get a "rescue insurance" for like $8 or $9 a year.

My maps (which are not as good as Dave's) shows the Lincoln Hiway north of Ely following the Pony Express route

and going across the desert in what is a closed area now.

Dale

My maps (which are not as good as Dave's) shows the Lincoln Hiway north of Ely following the Pony Express route

Dale

The "closed area" is the military's Dugway Proving Grounds. If a recent "UFO Files" episode is to be believed, the "cammo dudes" will be all over you rather quickly if you even loiter outside the fences. They really, REALLY don't like photography of the area, which seems kind of silly in an era of satellite imagery readily available on the web. Supposedly Dugway is the 'new' Area 51.

I remember reading years ago that there are some really nice Lincoln Highway remnants preserved within what is now a highly restricted area.

Edited by mga707

SPOT should run about $100 and sometimes a $50 rebate. The service with tracking is $150 a year. It sends

out a message of your location ever ten minutes, which can be seen on the internet. You can send a message,

"I'm OK" "Help" to an email address or a text message to phone. Also you can call 911 and they will know

who to get ahold of for you. When you buy it you can get a "rescue insurance" for like $8 or $9 a year.

Dale

Dale,

Good to see you posting!

What I know of the SPOT, I like. If and when I get around to "blazing" the National Parks Highway, I think I will pick one up. I know for sure if I am anticipating a serious back country route alone, I will get one.

Dave

The "closed area" is the military's Dugway Proving Grounds. If a recent "UFO Files" episode is to be believed, the "cammo dudes" will be all over you rather quickly if you even loiter outside the fences. They really, REALLY don't like photography of the area, which seems kind of silly in an era of satellite imagery readily available on the web. Supposedly Dugway is the 'new' Area 51.

I remember reading years ago that there are some really nice Lincoln Highway remnants preserved within what is now a highly restricted area.

Mike,

I have looked at the Lincoln crossing the proving grounds from a distance (not near the fences) and it is quite evident on the ground. A few years ago the Lincoln Highway Association held their annual convention in Ely and we all, including an American Road Magazine contingent, went out that way for a look see.

Dave

Mike,

I have looked at the Lincoln crossing the proving grounds from a distance (not near the fences) and it is quite evident on the ground. A few years ago the Lincoln Highway Association held their annual convention in Ely and we all, including an American Road Magazine contingent, went out that way for a look see.

Dave

Cool! That would've been a fun convention, I'm sure. Wish I'd known about it at the time. I've been to Ely and it's a funky little town--liked it! Trivia: For a number of years prior to 1980, Ely was the smallest US town, outside of Alaska, that had scheduled commercial jet service. United ran two daily 737s through there, SLC-Ely-Elko-Reno, and vice-versa. Ely (and Elko) were the first towns UAL dropped following deregulation in 1979. Now I don't think they even have scheduled "puddle-jumper" (commuter) service of any kind! At least Elko still has regular 'scheduled charter' gambling trips on Allegiant and others due to their larger number of casinos.

Would be great to somehow get gov't. permission to have a "Lincoln highway expedition" on the old alignment through Dugway. they'd just have to hide the 'reverse-engineered' flying saucers and the captured aliens while we're out there! :lol: