American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

New Additions To The Illustrated 1925 Mohawk-hobbs Guide

Sweet! You find some of the best postcards. I especially enjoyed seeing the "then" to some of the places I saw on my trip last year.

You may wish to click all the links on your pages; I encountered a couple that didn't work properly.

Jim,

Thanks for the compliment!

Re, bad links... If you run into them and have the time, please shoot me an email with the specifics. I try to make sure they all work but sometimes miss a few.

Thanks!

~ Steve

Steve,

Wow, again. You have defined the genre! Its the Hobbs as it should have been! A model. An ideal travel guide, and a treasure for the modern traveler.

(One tiny note...the Claysville shot links to a Wheeling WV card.)

The layout is great and the content riveting, at least for an old roadie. Seeing the sites as Hobbs provides the descriptions is terrific. Now the book, the CD, the new and improved guide.....

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Steve,

Wow, again. You have defined the genre! Its the Hobbs as it should have been! A model. An ideal travel guide, and a treasure for the modern traveler.

(One tiny note...the Claysville shot links to a Wheeling WV card.)

The layout is great and the content riveting, at least for an old roadie. Seeing the sites as Hobbs provides the descriptions is terrific. Now the book, the CD, the new and improved guide.....

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave,

Thanks for your kind comments and the note about the Claysville shot.

(I've written so much html code in the last 6 months it's all becoming a blur <g>.)

My latest endeavor is to contact local historical societies and ask them to search their files for photos to fill in captions without photos. The results have been unsuccessful so far, with most not responding to my emails.

I've initiated a new project I call "Deja Viewing". (The website will be dejaviewing.org) Similar to geocaching, the object is to search photo files and histories of Nat'l Road locations and then photograph them as closely to the origin shot position as possible. The location will be plotted on Google maps (And/or GPS) and the (2) photos will be displayed in the Cumberland Road Project Photo Library.

A Deja Viewing Blog and discussion forum are in the works. I'm toying with the idea of allowing members of the forum to vote, by assigning points, on how well the shot captured the original photo. Brownie points will be given for historical data on the site.

I'd appreciate any input or suggestions members of this forum might offer.

~ Steve