American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Mcdonald's Camp

mobilene

One of my standing eBay searches is "National Road," because I'm always looking for NR-related stuff. Today the search yielded an auction for this postcard:

McDonaldCamp1_proc.jpg

The back of the card said this was at the corner of US 40 and US 127 north of Eaton, OH. Postmarked 1934.

Have I ever mentioned how much I love Google Street View? Because even though it's 25 degrees with snow on the ground, I can still take a virtual road trip. Please notice that the cabins appear to still be standing!

McDonaldCampToday.jpg

I have GOT TO GET ON THE NR IN OHIO!!!!!1!!!

jim

Yep, they're still standing although they now have permanent residents and are not rented to tourists. The former Hines Truck Stop is right across the road and participants in last summer's cruise that ended at the Sign Museum may recall stopping there briefly. There is a picture and a paragraph on both on pages 38-39 of Ohio's National Road Guide. The post card is the first picture of McDonald's Camp I recall seeing. Nice find.

I'll be in that area later today and may have to stop for gas just because I can.

As part of the continuing effort to assure that readers of this forum have the latest information, I rushed to the site shown in this card and posted three fresh photos in my gallery here. Hopefully this link will get you to the first one and "next" will get you to the others. One picture is of the Hines Truck Stop on the south east corner. In the middle of one picture is an almost Matrix with 85,000 miles and a functional manual transmission. :rolleyes: The devil made me say that.

85,000 miles? Hm, that's about as many as I had on my Matrix when the transmission bought the farm! ;)

Yes, that comment was for your "benefit" and I feared a negative response to my boasting. Glad you didn't threaten to boil me in transmission fluid or something similar. :)