American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Which Diner Is Your Favorite?

beckyrepp

I'll go with Cindy's in Fort Wayne, IN. It's a hard working 1952 Valentine with fully functional (and properly populated) classic jukebox controls at the counter and friendly owners who are "feeding the whole world, 15 at a time".

Sounds like a great place! What's your favorite menu item?

Sounds like a great place! What's your favorite menu item?

I guess their signature dish is something listed as "Garage". :o Essentially eggs, potatoes, meat, etc. scrambled together. I confess to not yet trying it but will certainly make an effort to do that so I won't have to dodge the question next time.

All this talk of food, gets one thinking about diners. Which diner is your favorite? Why is it your favorite? What's your favorite thing on their menu? What makes it unique? Looking forward to hearing from you!

Eat Rite Diner in STL on old 66 just west of the closed MacArthur Bridge. It's been there for decades and is a typical small "diner" with that particular atmosphere. I like their burgers with everything and fries; although, the house chili looks especially inviting. Have never had the desire to try the slider (meat, eggs, spuds, etc.) because I don't crave an ambulance cruise....Bliss

Eat Rite Diner in STL on old 66 just west of the closed MacArthur Bridge. It's been there for decades and is a typical small "diner" with that particular atmosphere. I like their burgers with everything and fries; although, the house chili looks especially inviting. Have never had the desire to try the slider (meat, eggs, spuds, etc.) because I don't crave an ambulance cruise....Bliss

Sounds like a great place. :D Let us know when you try the chili.

We are still driving the two lanes of Florida…….mermaids, beautiful gulf coast villages, manatees, and of course good food. I won’t try to pick my favorite, but let me recommend one….Grandma’s in Orange, Fl where you will also find the Blue Springs manatees (must see). Grandma’s serves up the old fashioned sized servings in an original 1800’s building, that is the model of a 1940’s roadside hotel and eatery.

The first stereo pair below of the place is viewable crossed eyed, and the second is viewable in parallel (for Denny and anyone else with a viewer). There isn’t a lot of stereo effect at the distance involved, but when you got ‘em you use ‘em.

ARGranmasCrossed.jpg

ARGranmasPar.jpg

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

I'm not really up on current diners - some of my favorite diners from back in the 1950' would include (in Maine) the Palace diner in Biddeford, the Miss Portland in Portland, (in Massachusetts there was the Miss Ann in Salisbury and the Agawam in Agawam (both right on old Route 1).

Of course we would be remiss if we didn't mention the famous diners - the Maine Diner in Wells and the even more famous Moody's diner in Waldoboro, again both on U S 1. A trip down east wasn't complete without a stop at Moody's.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

... the second is viewable in parallel (for Denny and anyone else with a viewer).

For me? That's so sweet. :blush:

I see the words Historic Hotel on the sign. Did you also spend the night there? And I think I need a little help with the location. There is a Grandma's Kitchen in Orange City which is off the beaten path but is in the Daytona area where you've been spotted recently. There is also a place called Orange which seems to be off the path, beaten or otherwise. I find no web evidence for a restaurant there but it is the name you wrote and is in the area of one of your planned destinations, Apalachicola. I imagine the spot near Apalachicola is the correct one but can't be sure.

For me? That's so sweet. :blush:

I see the words Historic Hotel on the sign. Did you also spend the night there? And I think I need a little help with the location. There is a Grandma's Kitchen in Orange City which is off the beaten path but is in the Daytona area where you've been spotted recently. There is also a place called Orange which seems to be off the path, beaten or otherwise. I find no web evidence for a restaurant there but it is the name you wrote and is in the area of one of your planned destinations, Apalachicola. I imagine the spot near Apalachicola is the correct one but can't be sure.

Denny,

Grandma’s Kitchen is at 300 So Volusia in Orange City. They are apparently well known for their breakfasts, and we can attest to the generous helpings! The locals crowd the place, so you know it must be OK.

We would have considered staying overnight, but we didn’t discover Grandmas until the morning on the way south.

We are having so much fun on Florida's two lane roads, our travel plans have been extended and expanded. Yesterday it was the Old Spanish Trail including the impressive steel truss Hillman bridge across the Suwannee River, at Ellaville. We are in Apalachicola on the gulf, as I write.

We added a week to the trip, and of course I have tons of photos and experiences to share ASAP. Keep your 3D viewer at the ready! ;)

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road