American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Kudos On New Forum Format

Congratulations on a smooth transition to the new forum format! I think I like what I see!

Placing new gallery shots at the top will definitely encourage gallery use, and it "introduces" the visual dimension immediately. I also think the easy and viable link to individual blogs will encourage blog creation.

I also noted in passing that the photo scaling feature that reduced oversize photos to a standard width, but allowed for enlargement is missing. If that is a feature that can be toggled on, I hope we will do it. It is not so important for photos, but it is critical for maps, which otherwise are too small to read.

I like the "watch" feature, and I suppose the "new topics" will show recent posts, as the old "view new listings" did.

Again, if anybody wants my opinion, it looks good (first impression), and offers some new possibilities. I know we will refine and tweek it in the days ahead, but kudos so far.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

That's real nice.

Unfortunately in the Forum area, the AR Logo in the top banner gets covered up a bit by my member flag thingie.

I'm running Firefox in Mac OS X.something.

... Chris

A side affect of the update is a change in the address of the RSS feed for forum topics. That something is wrong should be immediately obvious to anyone subscribing to it or feeding it to another page as I do. They might, however, just think something is broken at AmericanRoadMagazine.com and wait for it to be fixed. The address has to be changed on the subscribers end.

Chris, could your "cover up" issue be related to screen width? The banner is 928 pixels wide so something has to give as screen width approaches that. It appears that the search box and the member flag thingie are always on top so other things get covered. Note that, if you narrow the screen enough, menu items such as "Blogs" and "Calendar" get buried by the search box. It's not really a problem. It's just that something has to go.

Looks nice - only thing I haven't found, if it still exists, is the "new posts" button. I haven't figured out how to find the new posts!! :(

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Alex,

I had the same problem. I used "Today's Active Topics" at the bottom of the main page to catch the replies to the initial post. But I fear that if I am not active for a couple of days, I will miss posts. There must be a work around. Edited: There is! You can set how far back to go, a day, a week, two weeks, etc)

Dave

Edited: There is! You can set how far back to go, a day, a week, two weeks, etc)

Dave

Ok, that sounds good. Just one more question - HOW does one accomplish this resetting???

Hmmm - just found a button at the top right that says "View New Content" - guess that's the new speak for "View New Posts."

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

Ok, that sounds good. Just one more question - HOW does one accomplish this resetting???

Hmmm - just found a button at the top right that says "View New Content" - guess that's the new speak for "View New Posts."

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Thanks...I wonder how we missed that one?!

To answer your question, after you click on Todays Active Content, the option to go beyond a day is presented in the lower right....and probably was in the old format as well, but I didn't remember it :)

Dave

My guess "That something is wrong should be immediately obvious..." turns out to be untrue. In the case of Yahoo and probably others, the list just stops updating. No error or other flag appears so it just appears as if no new topics have been started since the update. Hopefully any subscribers will become suspicious after a few days or so and look into it. A note in the next newsletter that mentions the new format and the changed RSS address might be a good idea.