American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Robert Bruce's - The National Road - Road Maps

Steve_Colby

Now available on CRP, all of the ROAD MAPS from Robert Bruce's book The National Road; most historic thoroughfare in the United States, and strategic eastern link in the National old trails ocean-to-ocean highway. Baltimore and Washington to Frederick, Hagerstown, Cumberland and Frostburg, Maryland; Uniontown, Brownsville and Washington, Pennsylvania, and Wheeling, West Virginia, including a series of detailed maps,showing topography and principal points of historic interest. Published in 1916.

~ Steve

Edited by Steve_Colby

This is excellent! I've had to exercise serious restraint to keep from tracing each of these maps against Google Maps this morning (since I'm at work and should be, um, working).

Jim,

An even better source for maps with early road alignments is MyTopo:Historical Topographic Maps.

I used the 1900 Paw Paw (WV) NorthEast Quad to research the original road route for this article: OLD BEAR CREEK BRIDGE - WEST SIDE of SIDELING HILL MTN.

~ Steve