American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Welcome - Please Introduce Yourself!

Jennifer

I grew up in Northern New Jersey. My Dad was a Ford guy, and the family drove in many versions of the Country Squire.

In 1969 I left for California, to Stanford Univ. My first car was a mid-60s VW bug, a convertible, and I drove it everywhere--up in to the Santa Cruz Mountains, up to San Francisco. Then one day, near where Neil Young now has his ranch, the engine seized and fried.

I've been VP/Sales for the world's largest rock & roll merchandising companies (Winterland Prod., Sony Signatures, Signatures Network). I've worked for just about every major rock band you can think of, handling their retail campaigns. Along the way, I fell in love with Acura's. My TSX is a great rockin' car,

and most recently I've been glued to Jerry Lee Lewis' latest, LAST MAN STANDING.

My first book, GRATEFUL DEAD BOOK OF THE DEAD HEADS, was published in 1983; Jerry Garcia himself wrote the foreword. That led to my writing "the bible" on rock posters, THE ART OF ROCK: POSTERS FROM PRESLEY TO PUNK, published in '87 (and for which concert promoter Bill Graham wrote the foreword). I co-authored the coffeetable book for the Hard Rock Cafe, TREASURES ('01), then co-authored ART OF MODERN ROCK: THE POSTER EXPLOSION ('04), the follow-up "New Testament."

Most recently, I'm proud to tell you, I authored ROCKIN' DOWN THE HIGHWAY: THE CARS AND PEOPLE WHICH MADE ROCK ROLL. It was published in Nov. ' 06 by Voyageur Press, an imprint of Motorbooks.

It's the first-ever book about rock & roll and the automobile. I'm not here to sell you anything, just introduce myself, but if you're interested to learn more, check out www.rockindownthehighway.com and in particular, click on 'author blog.'

My first true rock & roll experience was hearing THE VENTURES LIVE IN JAPAN, in junior high school, which led me to the Beach Boys, which led me to Motown. Once out on the West Coast, just a month after Woodstock, I was hooked on San Francisco-style psychedelic rock. I've the greatest respect for musicians like the Grateful Dead, Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band, Graham Parker, Flaco Jimenez, Little Feat, and about 200 others across time and space.

I love road trips. I love music that goes along with those road trips. In order to do the ROCKIN' book, I learned about some 4,000 songs which reference cars, trucks, buses, travel, highways, etc.

The one song that appears on just about everyone's list of top car songs is . . . Golden Earring's RADAR LOVE.

This looks like a great site, and I hope to visit often. Look forward to hearing from you, and learning about your own experiences out on the road.

Paul

I grew up in Northern New Jersey. My Dad was a Ford guy, and the family drove in many versions of the Country Squire.

In 1969 I left for California, to Stanford Univ. My first car was a mid-60s VW bug, a convertible, and I drove it everywhere--up in to the Santa Cruz Mountains, up to San Francisco. Then one day, near where Neil Young now has his ranch, the engine seized and fried.

I've been VP/Sales for the world's largest rock & roll merchandising companies (Winterland Prod., Sony Signatures, Signatures Network). I've worked for just about every major rock band you can think of, handling their retail campaigns. Along the way, I fell in love with Acura's. My TSX is a great rockin' car,

and most recently I've been glued to Jerry Lee Lewis' latest, LAST MAN STANDING.

My first book, GRATEFUL DEAD BOOK OF THE DEAD HEADS, was published in 1983; Jerry Garcia himself wrote the foreword. That led to my writing "the bible" on rock posters, THE ART OF ROCK: POSTERS FROM PRESLEY TO PUNK, published in '87 (and for which concert promoter Bill Graham wrote the foreword). I co-authored the coffeetable book for the Hard Rock Cafe, TREASURES ('01), then co-authored ART OF MODERN ROCK: THE POSTER EXPLOSION ('04), the follow-up "New Testament."

Most recently, I'm proud to tell you, I authored ROCKIN' DOWN THE HIGHWAY: THE CARS AND PEOPLE WHICH MADE ROCK ROLL. It was published in Nov. ' 06 by Voyageur Press, an imprint of Motorbooks.

It's the first-ever book about rock & roll and the automobile. I'm not here to sell you anything, just introduce myself, but if you're interested to learn more, check out www.rockindownthehighway.com and in particular, click on 'author blog.'

My first true rock & roll experience was hearing THE VENTURES LIVE IN JAPAN, in junior high school, which led me to the Beach Boys, which led me to Motown. Once out on the West Coast, just a month after Woodstock, I was hooked on San Francisco-style psychedelic rock. I've the greatest respect for musicians like the Grateful Dead, Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band, Graham Parker, Flaco Jimenez, Little Feat, and about 200 others across time and space.

I love road trips. I love music that goes along with those road trips. In order to do the ROCKIN' book, I learned about some 4,000 songs which reference cars, trucks, buses, travel, highways, etc.

The one song that appears on just about everyone's list of top car songs is . . . Golden Earring's RADAR LOVE.

This looks like a great site, and I hope to visit often. Look forward to hearing from you, and learning about your own experiences out on the road.

Paul

Rockin Author

Those are some pretty impressive credentials! You are sure to find some kindred spirits here.

It probably is a function of my advanced years, but Travelin’ Band in Last Man Standing is a favorite is a great album.!

Welcome aboard! We look forward to your participation!

Keep the Show on the Road

:) W. Keith McManus here. I live part of the time in my hometown, Uniontown, Pa., in southwestern Pennsylvania and in Philadelphia, Pa.

I am a documentary photographer and filmmaker with an interest in rural and small town America.

I have been a university professor (Rochester Institute of Technology) a editor at a weekly U.S. news magazine, U.S. News & World Report, a producer of PBS docs - also director of photography for PBS docs.

Usually drive between Uniontown and Philadelphia on U.S. 30, Pa. 31, Pa. 281, U.S. 40.

:) W. Keith McManus here. I live part of the time in my hometown, Uniontown, Pa., in southwestern Pennsylvania and in Philadelphia, Pa.

I am a documentary photographer and filmmaker with an interest in rural and small town America.

I have been a university professor (Rochester Institute of Technology) a editor at a weekly U.S. news magazine, U.S. News & World Report, a producer of PBS docs - also director of photography for PBS docs.

Usually drive between Uniontown and Philadelphia on U.S. 30, Pa. 31, Pa. 281, U.S. 40.

First welcome to the American Road Forum! You bring an impressive background to the group here! You also show the good judgment (my opinion), to follow the historic roads.

It seems to me that a fellow who is lucky enough to regularly drive the old Pennsylvania State Route 1 (AKA the Lincoln Highway) and the Pittsburg Pike, should be willing to share some of the wealth with the rest of us! How about posting a few choice recollections or experiences? Photos and links will also be appreciated.

I don’t want to presume your level of knowledge concerning that route. However if you don’t already have period descriptions, maps and the like, let us know.

Again, Welcome, and we look forward to seeing more posts from you. And don’t hesitate to post a question. If there is anything we shine at, it is sharing our “expertise” and experiences, solicited or not! And we really will enjoy what you have to share.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Edited by Keep the Show on the Road!

:) W. Keith McManus here.

Welcome to the forum, Keith. Looks like the average photographic skill level around here just went up a another notch. :D Weren't you busy (possibly National Road related) in SW PA last summer?

Let me add my welcome to the Forum to Keith. I believe we briefly corresponded on the old Yahoo list, but I am glad to see your name and credentials appearing on this forum. Hope to hear from you regularly, and see your photos in your postings or in a gallery of photos.

Again, welcome!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, my name is David Martin. I've been a roadfan since I was a kid, although working full-time and leading a generally busy life has prevented me from travelling as much as I would like. I live on Lincoln Highway a half-mile west of where it intersects with Dixie Highway, in an 80-year old apartment building. I have a keen interest in local history (which for me, means the Chicagoland area and Illinois in general).

I am a reference librarian and director of adult programs for Flossmoor Public Library (hence the screenname). We are hosting an event with Michael Wallis and Brian Butko Friday July 27th, at 5 PM in the afternoon. It'll definitely be an exciting event for me personally and I am looking forward to meeting them both.

I found this board through doing internet research on the authors and on the Lincoln Highway, it turns out some of the posts here are indexed by Google. When I saw the post about the Lincoln Highway Book Tour I thought I would sign up and contribute some information.

Hello, my name is David Martin. I've been a roadfan since I was a kid, although working full-time and leading a generally busy life has prevented me from travelling as much as I would like. I live on Lincoln Highway a half-mile west of where it intersects with Dixie Highway, in an 80-year old apartment building. I have a keen interest in local history (which for me, means the Chicagoland area and Illinois in general).

I am a reference librarian and director of adult programs for Flossmoor Public Library (hence the screenname). We are hosting an event with Michael Wallis and Brian Butko Friday July 27th, at 5 PM in the afternoon. It'll definitely be an exciting event for me personally and I am looking forward to meeting them both.

I found this board through doing internet research on the authors and on the Lincoln Highway, it turns out some of the posts here are indexed by Google. When I saw the post about the Lincoln Highway Book Tour I thought I would sign up and contribute some information.

Welcome FlossmoorLibrarian. Let me be the first to welcome you to this little piece of the internet devoted to the American Road. I look forward to hearing of your LH explorations in Illinois and nearby states. Since you're a research librarian we expect your reports to be fully researched and validated. ;)

Roadhound

Welcome FlossmoorLibrarian. Let me be the first to welcome you to this little piece of the internet devoted to the American Road. I look forward to hearing of your LH explorations in Illinois and nearby states. Since you're a research librarian we expect your reports to be fully researched and validated. ;)

Roadhound

Welcome to the American Road Forum! We're glad to have you aboard. We'll look forward to hearing about your road travels.

Best,

Becky Repp

Hello, my name is David Martin. I've been a roadfan since I was a kid, although working full-time and leading a generally busy life has prevented me from travelling as much as I would like. . .

David,

Welcome to this amazing group. As the son and brother of retired school librarians and a fellow history and travel fan, I feel a kinship to you as well. It was the Lincoln Highway in PA and Brian Butko's PA Lincoln guide that got me back into 2 lane highways.

I look forward to your inputs.

David,

I don’t mean to diminish the “wars and great leaders” histories, but local history rules! Wherever I travel I end up buying the local history books that are usually only available in the community, and sadly sometimes only at the surviving mom and pop bookstores.

To live in an 80 year old building near the intersection of the Lincoln and the Dixie, inextricably ties you to both. And what a location from which to launch road adventures, or road research!

Roadhound didn’t mention he is off tomorrow on a Lincoln Highway adventure including the Utah and Nevada sections east of Ely. Your guests will have terrific stories to tell about sites in that area...Stone House, Tippets Ranch, the Pony Express, Gold Hill, the Goodyear Cutoff...on and on...oh, how I wish I could be at your affair to enjoy the evening!

Share as much with us as possible! And take a photo or two if you are digitally adept!

Welcome aboard!

Roadhound didn’t mention he is off tomorrow on a Lincoln Highway adventure including the Utah and Nevada sections east of Ely. Your guests will have terrific stories to tell about sites in that area...Stone House, Tippets Ranch, the Pony Express, Gold Hill, the Goodyear Cutoff...on and on...oh, how I wish I could be at your affair to enjoy the evening!

I can't begin to say how much I wish Michael and Brian's planned stops in California were a month earlier.

Yes indeed, I am off on my great adventure tomorrow. One of the great things I have found in the short time that I have been visiting this site is the information that you can get just by asking. A few months ago I didn't know what route the Lincoln took through Utah. Thanks to Keep the Show On the Road, ypsi-slim, DennyG and others not only do I now know that there was a number of different routes but also what to look for along the route that I choose. This is a great group here. Talk to y'all in 10 days give or take.

LH Bound Roadhound

I can't begin to say how much I wish Michael and Brian's planned stops in California were a month earlier.

Yes indeed, I am off on my great adventure tomorrow. One of the great things I have found in the short time that I have been visiting this site is the information that you can get just by asking. A few months ago I didn't know what route the Lincoln took through Utah. Thanks to Keep the Show On the Road, ypsi-slim, DennyG and others not only do I now know that there was a number of different routes but also what to look for along the route that I choose. This is a great group here. Talk to y'all in 10 days give or take.

LH Bound Roadhound

Roadhound,

HAVE A GREAT TRIP. BE SAFE, and WE LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR REPORTS!

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings! My name is Bob Orlandini. I live in Terre Haute, Indiana, the original "Crossroads of America." I guess my love of traveling by car began because of the lack of trips when I was a kid. The only "family" vacation we took when I was a kid was when I was 5. We went to Branson, Missouri, before Branson was Branson. My dad spent the week fishing, except for one day when we went to Silver Dollar City. (I took my 9-year-old son to Silver Dollar City last summer ... boy, how things have changed!) Anyway, from that 1968 vacation, fast-forward to May 1981 ... the day after I graduated high school, three buddies and I took off for St. Louis for several days, going to a Cardinals game, Six Flags, the Arch, Laclede's Landing. Later that same year a co-worker invited me to go to Atlanta for the Peach Bowl football game on New Year's Eve. I realized from those two trips just how much I enjoyed jumping in the car and going off to explore new places. Since then, I've managed to visit 36 states and have been able to find the time to get off the interstate and explore some back roads in most of them.

Earlier this year, my girlfriend Susan and I decided to start documenting some of our excursions. And so Redhighways.com was born. However, both of her daughters decided to have babies this year, so most of our travels this summer have been to Effingham, Ill., and Indianapolis to see the grandkids.

OK, I've already spent a couple of hours reading the posts just in this thread (thanks to the side trip to jimgrey.net ... great stuff Jim!). It's time to go explore the rest of the forums.

Greetings! My name is Bob Orlandini. I live in Terre Haute, Indiana, the original "Crossroads of America." I guess my love of traveling by car began because of the lack of trips when I was a kid. The only "family" vacation we took when I was a kid was when I was 5. We went to Branson, Missouri, before Branson was Branson. My dad spent the week fishing, except for one day when we went to Silver Dollar City. (I took my 9-year-old son to Silver Dollar City last summer ... boy, how things have changed!) Anyway, from that 1968 vacation, fast-forward to May 1981 ... the day after I graduated high school, three buddies and I took off for St. Louis for several days, going to a Cardinals game, Six Flags, the Arch, Laclede's Landing. Later that same year a co-worker invited me to go to Atlanta for the Peach Bowl football game on New Year's Eve. I realized from those two trips just how much I enjoyed jumping in the car and going off to explore new places. Since then, I've managed to visit 36 states and have been able to find the time to get off the interstate and explore some back roads in most of them.

Earlier this year, my girlfriend Susan and I decided to start documenting some of our excursions. And so Redhighways.com was born. However, both of her daughters decided to have babies this year, so most of our travels this summer have been to Effingham, Ill., and Indianapolis to see the grandkids.

OK, I've already spent a couple of hours reading the posts just in this thread (thanks to the side trip to jimgrey.net ... great stuff Jim!). It's time to go explore the rest of the forums.

Bob, :welcome: We've got quite a group of midwesterners here on the group, so you should feel right at home. Ahh, how lucky you are to live in the same town as the Clabber Girl Bake Shop, Square Donut, and the National Road!

Everyone, be sure to check out Bob's www.redhighways.com site. I perused it Thursday upon getting his request to join us. Good reads!

Bob, welcome! I lived 9 years in Terre Haute. In the early 90s I worked as a disk jockey at WBOW and WZZQ before the owner's, um, problems caused the stations to lose their licenses. I lived on N. 8th St. a block south of Collett Park and just a few blocks west of 12 Points. Drove by the Debs home every day on my way to work.

I find it very sad that neither US 40 nor US 41 go through 7th and Wabash anymore.

You have a nice site and I hope to see more updates soon!

jim

...so Redhighways.com was born.

Welcome, Bob. Enjoyed the website and, like a good road, it had just enough turns to keep me interested and get me lost just a time or two. Nice stuff. You and KtSotR should get along. Where he drives, the red roads aren't only on the maps.

Hi Bucfan Bob,

Welcome to the gang here on the American Road Forums! You have already heard from the pros, so I’d like to add my two bits worth.

We appreciate your addition to the group. I too visited your very handsome and enjoyable site, and think you have the right idea. Great stuff and I appreciate the maps. We should all do that. I know it really helps to have it laid out .

Don’t hesitate to jump in on any thread, the more the merrier. It won’t take long for you to get to know the regulars and become one yourself if you like.

Looking forward to your future posts, Keep the Show on the Road!

Thanks for the greetings, guys. You really know how to make a new member feel welcome. :)

Ahh, how lucky you are to live in the same town as the Clabber Girl Bake Shop, Square Donut, and the National Road!

Yes! Roadmaven's both a "roadie" and a "foodie." And there's nothing like sitting in Square Donuts, drinking coffee, eating donuts and watching the traffic cruise by on the National Road ...

I lived 9 years in Terre Haute. In the early 90s I worked as a disk jockey at WBOW and WZZQ before the owner's, um, problems caused the stations to lose their licenses. I lived on N. 8th St. a block south of Collett Park and just a few blocks west of 12 Points. Drove by the Debs home every day on my way to work.

I remember you as a DJ (I'm assuming you used your real name and not an air name). "Problems" is a tactful way of putting it ... Anyway, I grew up on the south side, now live out in the southern part of the county. I worked for the Tribune-Star for more than 20 years (the office used to be just off Seventh and Wabash ... it's like I've spent half of my life looking at the National Road).

Don’t hesitate to jump in on any thread, the more the merrier. It won’t take long for you to get to know the regulars and become one yourself if you like.

Thank you, Keep the Show on the Road. I'm just hoping I get invited to hang out at the garage you guys go to on the weekends!

And thanks for all of the nice comments about Redhighways. Feedback is always welcome -- good or not so good. And there should be new content up every couple of days for awhile. We just took a trip in July through Illinois, Missouri, Iowa and Wisconsin, traveling various two-laners. I just finished an article on U.S. 20 from Dubuque to Dyersville (had to make that baseball pilgrimage ...). Next up will be an article about Dyersville itself ... there's more to see there than just a baseball diamond in a corn field.

You will be right at home at the American Road garage! We hang around when the boss isn’t here and swap road yarns. You are well equipped to earn one of the preferred spots to lean!

Just grab one of the red towels you get out of the cabinets over there that separate the bays. Keep an eye out when you see the black ’49 Century pull onto the lower island. That’s him or the misses. Start wiping something with the towel...it isn’t too important what it is as long as it involves movement.

The fact that you recognize Mobilene won’t go against you. His heart is in the right place even if he does love his fonts a little too much. The man is an alignment genius so we keep him alert with road photos.

Did I understand that you are updating your site with new stuff every two days? Ah, an embarrassment of riches! I'll tune in.

I remember you as a DJ (I'm assuming you used your real name and not an air name). "Problems" is a tactful way of putting it ... Anyway, I grew up on the south side, now live out in the southern part of the county. I worked for the Tribune-Star for more than 20 years (the office used to be just off Seventh and Wabash ... it's like I've spent half of my life looking at the National Road).

Yeah, I used my real name, and I'm surprised you remember. I was part-time and worked Sunday 10-2, so I wasn't exactly all over the airwaves.

You might remember a lady from the T-S who once worked for me as a technology writer, Liz Carver. She had a column there by the time I left TH in 1994.

And I desperately miss Headstone Friends.

Ok, enough talk about stuff that nobody else here will get. Welcome aboard, and I look forward to more road trip reports.

jim

And I desperately miss Headstone Friends.

Ok, enough talk about stuff that nobody else here will get.

It's all right ... Headstone's used to be on the the National Road before it moved to its current location. So you're not off-topic at all. Back in the 70s, Headstone's was between 8th and 9th streets on the east side of Wabash. Probably an empty lot when you lived here, though.

And I remember hanging out there playing pinball and pool in the back of the store when I was a teenager. Too much time in that place is probably what makes me see buffalo out in a field in Iowa. Oh, sorry, that was another thread ...

Hi, I'm Kevin. I've had an interest in roads since I was a kid in the 50s riding with my parents from upstate NY to my grandfather's farm in Maryland. Not knowing about Eisenhower's Interstate Act, I was certainly entertained & confused by getting on & off the interstate & traveling 2 lane roads in between. Seeing & visiting diners (cool, good food served in railroad cars) & visiting some very old gas stations & needing to use their yucky restrooms...seem embedded in my memories.

It was all cool until the local drive in restaurant was leveled to make room for Route 481. My thought even as a preteen was, "That just even right." I even noticed that as more superslabs were built the, the style of broadcast radio changed, also. (That's not right, either!)

Having move from upstate NY to southern California in 1968, the only way to get somewhere fast was th interstate. However, when I waited for the school bus on Colorado Blvd, I stood underneath a Route 66 signpost. All these factors, planted a seed for the interest in the old roads. Today, I've a few blocks from Hwy 99 in northern LA county.

Anyway, when I drive 2 lane roads today, I find town similar to the drives I had when I traveled as a kid.

If you ever see a motorhome with a California license plate of "OLD HWYS" on a motorhome or a Honda CRV "OLD HWYS" or a Ford pickup of "OLD ROAD", give me a honk & let's stop & have a pop.

Edited by Kevin