American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Welcome - Please Introduce Yourself!

Jennifer

James,

A very professionally done and interesting web site. A lot of planning, thought, and talent went into its creation. I have traveled much of 89, but in segments over the past 40 years. I will look forward to the newsletter and future trips on 89!

I joined the organization and I will add a story or two one of these days. (Please note my request included with my Paypal membership payment.)

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

James...

Welcome to this stellar group. After joining here I received advice on Route 89, and throroughly enjoyed our trip from Jackson Wyoming to Salt Lake City, and the wonderful sites along Rt 89. I have visited your site a number of times and find it quite impressive. Enjoy the ride!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome, Dave, Denny and Dave. I have a bunch of questions for folks here in the forum which I'll post in the next couple of days. I'm glad to be part of the group and hope I can contribute in return.

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone! My name is Mike and I am relatively new to the forum but am enjoying it a bunch already. A bit about me, I am retired from the U.S. Navy after 23 years active duty and now work for the Navy as a Civil Servant here in Virginia Beach, Va. I grew up in the Philadelphia, PA. area but now call the south my home.

During my time in the NAV I was lucky enough to do a lot of travelling, by Air, Sea and Land. I have visited almost 40 countries around the world and greatly enjoyed most of them. I have also lived in Spain, Italy and Japan.

Now that I am out, one of the items on my bucket list iis the see all 50 U.S. States. I have been to 35 so far with only 15 left to go. Most of the states I have left are in the Northern Midwest and Northwest parts of the country.

I am an avid roadtripper, motorcyclist, and have an almost obsessive interest in Route 66. My wife and I cruised the mother Road last year on our Harleys (missing only the stretch between St. Louis and Chicago) and it was three of the most memerable weeks of my life. Virginia Beach to Santa Monica and back. Stops included all the great places along 66, side trips to Vegas and The Grand Canyon, and two days in Nashville on the way home.

When possible, I only stay at Mom and Pop motels, I Iove Neon, Kitsch, tourist traps and all things about driving the open road. It's my own personal time machine back to a better time.

Look forward to sharing stories and with all of you and browsing all the great photos on the site.

Safe travelling,

Mike

post-41124-0-87499300-1354720039_thumb.jpg

Welcome Mike. I've known you were here from seeing some of your other posts including the one about posting photos (I've no idea). I have a son who will probably be retired from the Navy in about two years. He took a seven year detour or would have been out already.

Share away!

Denny, congratulations to you and your son on his career. There are few ways to spend your life that are more honorable than to spend it defending our freedom in our Armed Forces (and of course the Navy is the best, but I am biased).

Welcome Mike, and thanks for your service. I understand the commitment you made to serving the country with a son currently stationed at Midlenhall AFB and getting ready to come stateside for weaponry school in January.

I look forward to learning about your travels.

Thank you Dave, and Thanks to your son. I see you're in Allentown, PA. I grew up in Warminster/Hatboro area and we used to go to Dorney Park every summer. And after High School, a buddy and I hitchhiked up the PA turnpike to the Allentown Fairgrounds to see a heavy Metal concert. Good times.

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone!

My name is Maria and I launched the Three Months By Car project two weeks ago. Jim Grey (mobilene) introduced my project in the Three Months By Car in 1929 thread after he found my blog.

The project centers around a three-month, tri-country road trip that my great-grandmother took with two of her girlfriends in 1929 and my eventual retracing of the trip. I wrote my MA thesis on the trip and period prescriptive literature that gave advice on how to go on road trips and autocamp (much of the trip was spent autocamping with some nights with relatives and a few others in hotels). In addition to retracing their trip by spending three months on the road to see what they saw (or what's left of it-historic preservation is a big interest of mine), I am working on expanding my original 50-page thesis into a book-length manuscript that will be coupled with my travel experiences from my trip as well as transcriptions of the postcards and letters that my great-grandmother wrote home.

This project has definitely gotten me into travel history (I have always enjoyed history in general, as well as road trips to historic places), and I am still learning.

I am very excited to be a part of the forum so that we may all converse and so that I may learn from you. I look forward to interacting with everyone.

Best,

Maria

They drove a 1928 Ford Model A Roadster, and I think it would be appropriate for me to drive a Ford as well (what type, not so sure). If I could stop off somewhere during my trip to try out what they drove, that would be fun, but since I'm only retracing the steps and not recreating the trip, I'm good in something newer, lol.

Maria

Three Months By Car

They drove a 1928 Ford Model A Roadster, and I think it would be appropriate for me to drive a Ford as well (what type, not so sure). If I could stop off somewhere during my trip to try out what they drove, that would be fun, but since I'm only retracing the steps and not recreating the trip, I'm good in something newer, lol.

Maria

Three Months By Car

I think a Mustang convertible is the closest Dearborn spiritual descendant of that 28 'A' roadster!

I owned a 1931 Model A 5 window coupe around 1970's. If you could do the trip in a Model A today I bet you would get the trip done in half the time with the way roads are now.

I would like to read details of your Gma's trip as far as repairs, break downs, gas, oil, etc.

Do you plan on trying to follow the original route that Gma took?

Forget the Mustang for your trip for they do not have the heart of Henry's Fords. To me the best automobile for road exploring is a GM Suburban for it's interior space, and ride comfort.

Though a 4dr Jeep Wrangler with half doors, soft top, all the side curtains off. Only if I had the time and the money.

Forget the Mustang for your trip for they do not have the heart of Henry's Fords. To me the best automobile for road exploring is a GM Suburban for it's interior space, and ride comfort.

...until you have to fill that monster up with $3 to $4/gal gas!

She wanted a Ford, so I was giving her the closest current model to an open roadster from 1928. Even closer would be the 02-05 retro two-seater Thunderbird, which laid a huge sales egg. FoMoCo was about 15 years too late for a 50s retro T-Bird, IMHO (Apropos Lois Griffin line from "Family Guy": "Kids, these 50s diners were all the rage back in the 80s")!

Edited by mga707

I thank you both for the suggestions. As fun as it would be to travel in an open air, be it top down or sides removed, my trip will be incorporating video blogging, part of which will be while I'm driving, so I'll have to be able to safely mount a camera(s) somewhere.

To answer your question, I do plan to go the original route of the 1929 trip where ever possible, with a couple of extra stops that I just can't pass up going to thrown in along the way. They went for the adventure of it, so I'm adding to the itinerary in the same spirit. If you haven't already linked to it off my blog, you can see where they went in the destinations tab. I haven't added my desired places to visit beyond this list yet.

Car issues, gas, and road conditions will all be discussed in my blog at a later date. Still in the intro portion, but getting ready to move to more info.

Maria

Three Months By Car Latest post 1/20/13

Facebook

• 7 years later...

Just to introduce myself. My wife and I love to travel and are always looking for the next great adventure. We have travelled 46 of the 48 states by motorcycle, sailed for 4 years from New England to Bahamas, and along the Gulf Coast. we have lived in 8 different states and currently retired to Arizona, Plans are to do, by our car, all of Lincoln Highway, Route 66, US Route 1, US 50, and participate in Route 66 Fun Run, Hot Rod Power Tour, American Gumball Rally, and whatever fun things we can find on the roads of this great country.

Bill & Tina Ouellette

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Welcome, Bill and Tina, to the forums