American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Welcome - Please Introduce Yourself!

Jennifer

Hello, I was a reader of the old Yahoo group, but lost track of things a while back. I just re-discovered this forum and look forward to catching up!

Tony

:welcome: BACK!

For those of you reading this, Tony's a moderator on the roadfood.com forum. I was browsing through their site last night, and the restaurant review lists are quite remarkable and put together very well, state by state. Be sure to check it out! I'll be putting together a list of potential eats from that site for our excursion this weekend.

:welcome: BACK!

For those of you reading this, Tony's a moderator on the roadfood.com forum. I was browsing through their site last night, and the restaurant review lists are quite remarkable and put together very well, state by state. Be sure to check it out! I'll be putting together a list of potential eats from that site for our excursion this weekend.

Pat,

I'm glad you added that! I have visited the roadfood site and it is outstanding! Made me hungry and ready to travel at the same time!

Keep the show on the road!

Dave

Wow, this thread started in the summer of 2006. Is the longest living thread on this forum..... Becky, Jennifer?

But like I always say....the more the merrier. Everyone have a happy and safe Thanksgiving. :D:D:D

Welcome back Tony!

And, Matt, I think you are correct. If memory serves, I believe that this thread was Jennifer's idea - which just underscores the terrific job that both she and Pat do in managing this Forum for American Road. Pat and Jennifer are two people that we are very thankful for on this holiday! We are also very grateful to each and every one of our Forum members, American Road magazine readers, and our advertisers. Each of you help make this website and American Road magazine possible for everyone to enjoy.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Thomas and Becky Repp

• 1 month later...

Hello road fanatics,

I don't know how it is that I only recently discovered this forum. I have been reading Christopher Busta-Peck's and Jim Grey's excellent blogs for some time, as well as Frank Brusca's US 40 website.

I have lived in Warren Massachusetts, Detroit Michigan, Melbourne Florida, Miami Florida, and Ithaca New York. I now live in Beltsville, Maryland, just above Washington DC and a stone's throw away from Baltimore, Ellicott City, and the beginning of the National Road.

Which is a fortunate thing, because I am interested in roads, in particular, the National Road/U.S. 40. It started 20 years ago when I first encountered George Stewart's U.S. 40, A Cross-Section of America, which quickly became my favorite bedtime reading. Once I discovered Thomas & Geraldine Vale's U.S. 40 Today, I knew I was hooked and would have to visit all of the places photographed by Stewart and take my own pictures along the road, explore all the earlier alignments, and mentally recreate the landscape of the road in its many incarnations throughout history. From what I've seen so far, all the posters on this board are like-minded individuals.

Even as a young boy, it was clear that I was a future roadie, when in kindergarten I fingerpainted a picture consisting of a jumble of criss-crossing lines. When asked what it represented, I replied "this is the route Santa Claus takes on Christmas Eve". I have lived close to the Dixie Highway, and now close to the National Road. Everywhere I drive, I am always seeing evidence of previous road alignments, side roads that swerve off just a little bit to the side and join back up a little ways down the road. Here in the DC area, rapid urbanization has created a need for radical road realignment in all directions and there is hardly a major road which isn't shadowed by a parallel road marked "Old ________ Road".

In my other life, I am a composer, a clarinetist and a librarian. You can find out more about my musical activities at my website http://www.markgsimon.com

Starting in January I begin a new job as a cataloger at the Library of Congress.

Hello road fanatics,

I don't know how it is that I only recently discovered this forum. I have been reading Christopher Busta-Peck's and Jim Grey's excellent blogs for some time, as well as Frank Brusca's US 40 website..............

In my other life, I am a composer, a clarinetist and a librarian. You can find out more about my musical activities at my website http://www.markgsimon.com

Starting in January I begin a new job as a cataloger at the Library of Congress.

Mark,

Welcome again!! I enjoyed your compositions! And I believe you are the performer as well! Right?

You are definitely in good company here, and your earlier posts demonstrate your qualifications!! While you may be slightly distracted having already come under the spell of Jim's blog, it isn't terminal! B):lol:

I should comment that while most of this gang are "road fanatics," I and two others here are "road connoisseurs" :rolleyes::P:D

I can only imagine what working daily in the Library of Congress offers in terms of research opportunities and access to "hidden" treasures. Even our state library has treasures it has yet to catalog, known only to "insiders."

Welcome!

Oh, before I forget, if you want additional photos to continue to show up in your well documented posts, you will soon run out of photo posting space here. You must use another server (eg Flickr) to store your photographs and link to them. Thst process isn't unfamiliar to you, but might be to a future reader of this comment....so we always offer assistance if requested. And you may also want to look at using the Gallery here...but that takes the reader away from your post in order to see the photo(s).

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Mark,

Welcome again!! I enjoyed your compositions! And I believe you are the performer as well! Right?

In many cases, yes. I should start selling downloads of complete recordings, but I haven't been willing to work out deals with the other performers. Thank you for listening to the clips.

Oh, before I forget, if you want additional photos to continue to show up in your well documented posts, you will soon run out of photo posting space here.

So I've noticed. Yes I should investigate Flickr. I have a lot of US 40/National Road pictures and I wasn't always careful enough about documenting where they were taken and I'm left wondering "now what is this?" I'm sure the members here could identify a lot of them.

My wife is always amused at my need to have more National Road books. I currently own:

Bruce, R. (1916). The National Road: Most historic thoroughfare in the United States, and eastern divisions of the National Old Trails Ocean-to-Ocean Highway, Washington D.C.: Published in co-operation with National Highways Association.

Ierley, M. (1990). Traveling the National Road: across the centuries on America's first highway. Woodstock, NY: The Overlook Press.

Poole, R. C. (2006). America's road: A photographic journey across the National Road from Baltimore to East St. Louis. Frederick, MD: Phoenix Imagery Press.

Raitz, K. (Ed.) (1996). A guide to the National Road. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press.

Raitz, K. (Ed.) (1996). The National Road. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press.

Schneider, N. F. (1975). The National Road: Main street of America. Columbus, OH: The Ohio Historical Society.

Searight, T. B. (1971). Thomas D. Searight's The old pike: An illustrated narrative of the National Road. Orange, Va. Green Tree Press.

Stewart, G. (1953). U.S. 40: Cross section of the United States of America. Cambridge, Mass.: The Riverside Press.

Vale, T. R. & Vale, G. R. (1983). U.S. 40 today: Thirty years of landscape change in America. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press.

Hello road fanatics,

I don't know how it is that I only recently discovered this forum. I have been reading Christopher Busta-Peck's and Jim Grey's excellent blogs for some time, as well as Frank Brusca's US 40 website.

I have lived in Warren Massachusetts, Detroit Michigan, Melbourne Florida, Miami Florida, and Ithaca New York. I now live in Beltsville, Maryland, just above Washington DC and a stone's throw away from Baltimore, Ellicott City, and the beginning of the National Road.

Which is a fortunate thing, because I am interested in roads, in particular, the National Road/U.S. 40. It started 20 years ago when I first encountered George Stewart's U.S. 40, A Cross-Section of America, which quickly became my favorite bedtime reading. Once I discovered Thomas & Geraldine Vale's U.S. 40 Today, I knew I was hooked and would have to visit all of the places photographed by Stewart and take my own pictures along the road, explore all the earlier alignments, and mentally recreate the landscape of the road in its many incarnations throughout history. From what I've seen so far, all the posters on this board are like-minded individuals.

Even as a young boy, it was clear that I was a future roadie, when in kindergarten I fingerpainted a picture consisting of a jumble of criss-crossing lines. When asked what it represented, I replied "this is the route Santa Claus takes on Christmas Eve". I have lived close to the Dixie Highway, and now close to the National Road. Everywhere I drive, I am always seeing evidence of previous road alignments, side roads that swerve off just a little bit to the side and join back up a little ways down the road. Here in the DC area, rapid urbanization has created a need for radical road realignment in all directions and there is hardly a major road which isn't shadowed by a parallel road marked "Old ________ Road".

Welcome aboard!!! Glad to have you with us!

So I've noticed. Yes I should investigate Flickr. I have a lot of US 40/National Road pictures and I wasn't always careful enough about documenting where they were taken and I'm left wondering "now what is this?" I'm sure the members here could identify a lot of them.

I love Flickr. It's great for organizing your photos, putting them in various sets or collections and even geotagging them onto a map (very easy).

Here's my site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadtripmemories/

Hello road fanatics,

Mark,

Welcome to a most wonderful group of friends. No matter how or when you find this place, you are immediately welcome to be here. Enjoy the ride...

PS: I don't know if you ever met my good friend and composer, Steve Reisteter, but you can listen to a number of his compositions at JWPepper's website.

Mark,

Welcome to a most wonderful group of friends. No matter how or when you find this place, you are immediately welcome to be here. Enjoy the ride...

Add my welcome to the group, Mark. I've had some upheaval in my life in recent years and this American Road family, along with my Hudson Car Club family, has been an anchor for me. You couldn't find a greater group of people.

Drop by my "Back Yard Roadtrips" http://www.freewebs.com/yankeetraveller/ - sometime - nothing fancy as I don't really know how to build a really good web site. But it gets the job done, I guess. I really got to get back to work on it.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Add my welcome to the group, Mark. I've had some upheaval in my life in recent years and this American Road family, along with my Hudson Car Club family, has been an anchor for me. You couldn't find a greater group of people.

Drop by my "Back Yard Roadtrips" http://www.freewebs.com/yankeetraveller/ - sometime - nothing fancy as I don't really know how to build a really good web site. But it gets the job done, I guess. I really got to get back to work on it.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

I like it. Anything that illustrates old roadbeds and previous alignments is a good website as far as I'm concerned. My father lives in Pleasant Hill, Tennessee, about an hour west of Knoxville and not too far east of Sparta (birthplace of Lester Flatt) along US 70. I go down to visit him every so often, though I worry that the next time will be in order to execute the will.

I apologize for not yet listening to any of the clips but will certainly correct that soon.

Done. I liked what I heard although I'll admit that there's not much like it in my own musical library. There's a little Bach & Mozart in there but there's a lot more Springsteen & Joel. Though not a musician myself, I can really appreciate those who are. In fact, I was once known as someone who hung around musicians a lot (a.k.a., a drummer). Hope you like it here.

Done. I liked what I heard although I'll admit that there's not much like it in my own musical library. There's a little Bach & Mozart in there but there's a lot more Springsteen & Joel. Though not a musician myself, I can really appreciate those who are. In fact, I was once known as someone who hung around musicians a lot (a.k.a., a drummer). Hope you like it here.

Thanks for listening. Contemporary classical music is a world unto itself. It sounds neither like Bach and Mozart nor Springsteen and Joel. It's enthusiasts are few but enthusiastic. I enjoy Bach, Mozart and Billy Joel, and have taken my share of influences from them, but part of being a contemporary composer is trying not to sound too much like other music.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I'm Kat. Former RVer until I had to trade my RV and truck due to unemployment. Am hoping to get a van or a small class B RV in the future if I ever work again. I see there's another SW Ohio person on here. The last couple of days we've really had winter!

I love to travel and prefer (time permitting) the back roads. One of my favorite things is small town shops and independent diners. I hope to travel much more of this land before every town starts with a Wal-Mart and ends with a McDonalds. I love the different personalities of small towns and see that going away far too fast.

I'm a member of RVing Women even though now, I'm back to a tent! It's a great organization and I keep my membership to support them even if I can't go so much these days.

Since I can't travel much, I can be home and travel vicariously. That's why I join these groups - to meet other travelers (be they actual or wannabe) and also get great ideas about places to see someday.

Kat

Since I can't travel much, I can be home and travel vicariously. That's why I join these groups - to meet other travelers (be they actual or wannabe) and also get great ideas about places to see someday.

Welcome, Kat! You'll find plenty of places to visit here. I especially like reading along and seeing the photographs posted by our members. We'll look forward to your comments and insight.

Chris

Hi Kat,

First, WELCOME!

You will find some good armchair traveling companions here while you get ready for your next road adventure! And like Chris, I hope you will share your adventures when you have them.

I am interested that you say you are tenting. My wife and I were looking at tents today ourselves. There are some pretty fancy tenting “rigs” out there and they look like fun. I am wondering if it is practical to do a long road trip (4000 miles) using a tent. I may be fantasizing about tent camping, but it was fun when I was younger

We owned a class B RV and while I loved it, Sheila was not crazy about it. We eventually sold it. I don’t want to drive a bigger RV because it discourages me from doing the back roads and old alignments.

We were at Cabellas this afternoon and we could be fully equipped for tenting for less than the sales tax on a used RV. I figured if we tried it and didn’t like it we could sell the little used gear for at least half its cost on Craig’s list, and we would have had another travel story to tell.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

I see there's another SW Ohio person on here. The last couple of days we've really had winter!

That could be me. :o I'm at the north edge of Cincinnati with ice covered trees and half ice covered roads. Yep. The last couple of days have not been fun. But I've had no problems with power or anything else major so I'm not complaining. Just rooting for Buckeye Chuck. Big welcome to the forum.

Good Morning,

I am Bill and my lovely bride of 35 years is Joanne. We live in the Piedmont area of North Carolina and have three grown children. One lives in Orange Park, Fla and the other two in Wilmington, N.C. Joanne and I are both retired educators even though she still works 18 hrs per week and I sub several times a month. We both enjoy teaching and being at our elementary school here in my hometown.

We have been traveling our entire married life and have visited 48 states. Plan to mark #49 off

this summer with a trip to Hawaii. And maybe, next summer, Alaska. We have a small 16 ft Casita camper which we enjoy very much. This summer, we are pulling it to Napa, Ca, visiting friends and places along the way and leaving it in Napa while we make the trip to Honolulu to visit another friend. We will then travel back across the U.S. to N.C. with our Casita.

I enjoy reading, collecting just about anything, Civil War history, photography, and anything related to geography or social studies. I am looking forward to using this forum.

Best wishes to everyone for a good spring. Bill in N.C.

Good Morning,

I am Bill and my lovely bride of 35 years is Joanne. We live in the Piedmont area of North Carolina and have three grown children. One lives in Orange Park, Fla and the other two in Wilmington, N.C. Joanne and I are both retired educators even though she still works 18 hrs per week and I sub several times a month. We both enjoy teaching and being at our elementary school here in my hometown.

We have been traveling our entire married life and have visited 48 states. Plan to mark #49 off

this summer with a trip to Hawaii. And maybe, next summer, Alaska. We have a small 16 ft Casita camper which we enjoy very much. This summer, we are pulling it to Napa, Ca, visiting friends and places along the way and leaving it in Napa while we make the trip to Honolulu to visit another friend. We will then travel back across the U.S. to N.C. with our Casita.

I enjoy reading, collecting just about anything, Civil War history, photography, and anything related to geography or social studies. I am looking forward to using this forum.

Best wishes to everyone for a good spring. Bill in N.C.

Welcome aboard! :welcome:

We look forward to hearing about your travels - feel free to share any road trip stories, places you enjoy visiting, etc. Likewise, if you are looking for travel advice, I'm sure you will find us a great place for that too!

Welcome Bill,

Not everyone here is a camper-pulling picture-taking retired teacher with a Civil War streak but there are some members with each of those characteristics. I think we may even have a member or two that can match or come close to your count of visited states. Not me. I've got a long way to go. Looking forward to posts from you & Joanne.

Hi! I'm Kat. Former RVer until I had to trade my RV and truck due to unemployment. Am hoping to get a van or a small class B RV in the future if I ever work again. I see there's another SW Ohio person on here. The last couple of days we've really had winter!

Hi, Kat, and welcome to this group of roadies. Mary Sue, my bride of 48 years, and I talked endlessly about RVing the country's back roads before we retired but since actual retirement I've had a change of heart and prefer to cruise a Chevy instead. And we haven't actually cruised all of the states as we had planned. Instead, we prefer to take shorter, closer cruises like IL and MO 66 motor tours, IA Lincoln Highway motor tour, Sweetheart Cruise, Pat and Denny's spring or fall cruise, etc. Ironically, the main reason we don't cruise more is due to a general dislike for motel lodging.

Anyway, Kat, welcome again and we look forward to hearing about your past and future adventures. (But being a Wal-Mart shareholder for 25 years they bin bery, bery guud to me and I hope there's a profitable store built everywhere)...Bliss