American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Welcome - Please Introduce Yourself!

Jennifer

Welcome, Starfire! I had the opportunity to travel U.S. 90 from Luling to Vidor; unfortunately, I was in a bit of a rush so I did not get a chance to take many pictures of the area. I am glad that you will be able to fill in the (many) holes that I left in my photos.

I am an anomaly of my generation, as I also enjoy tunes of the 50s-60s, so you are not the only one who blasts those tunes.

Tracy

Edited by cityboy1986

Welcome, Starfire! I had the opportunity to travel U.S. 90 from Luling to Vidor; unfortunately, I was in a bit of a rush so I did not get a chance to take many pictures of the area. I am glad that you will be able to fill in the (many) holes that I left in my photos.

I am an anomaly of my generation, as I also enjoy tunes of the 50s-60s, so you are not the only one who blasts those tunes.

Tracy

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I'll be filling in with a lot of photos as the present alignment of U.S. 90 through Luling verses at least two earlier alignments has prompted me to dig into the discrepancies between those alignments and those of the original OST Commission in 1923. Somethin' just ain't quite right. Check out my comments in the OST/US 80/US 90 topic area.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy everyone, :)

My parents took me on many great road trips when I was a kid and I think that eventually lead to my career in the tourism industry. My summer job through high school and college was at Crazy Horse Memorial in the Black Hills of South Dakota (American Road Volume V, No. 1).

I now am the senior photographer for the South Dakota Office of Tourism. That means I travel the state taking pictures of fairs, festivals, attractions, landscapes, wildlife, rodeos, powwos, etc, etc. After 15 years of the job, I'm really getting to know the backroads and byways of South Dakota. So, if you are interested in photography tips about this neck of the woods, visit my blog at www.dakotagraph.blogspot.com. Hopefully you will find something interesting or maybe even useful there.

I also branch outside of South Dakota from time to time. I'm sure you all know about that itching for a road trip. Wyoming and Colorado have seen a lot of my tire tracks.

And I've noticed several members of the Class of '81 on the forum. I fit that category as well. It's a little off topic for this forum, but if you are interested in the music of our era, you might also enjoy my concert photography blog at www.chadsconcertpix.blogspot.com.

If anyone has any questions about anything in South Dakota, feel free to fire away. I love helping travelers and/or photographers.

Chad

Howdy everyone, :)

My parents took me on many great road trips when I was a kid and I think that eventually lead to my career in the tourism industry. My summer job through high school and college was at Crazy Horse Memorial in the Black Hills of South Dakota (American Road Volume V, No. 1).

I now am the senior photographer for the South Dakota Office of Tourism. That means I travel the state taking pictures of fairs, festivals, attractions, landscapes, wildlife, rodeos, powwos, etc, etc. After 15 years of the job, I'm really getting to know the backroads and byways of South Dakota. So, if you are interested in photography tips about this neck of the woods, visit my blog at www.dakotagraph.blogspot.com. Hopefully you will find something interesting or maybe even useful there.

I also branch outside of South Dakota from time to time. I'm sure you all know about that itching for a road trip. Wyoming and Colorado have seen a lot of my tire tracks.

And I've noticed several members of the Class of '81 on the forum. I fit that category as well. It's a little off topic for this forum, but if you are interested in the music of our era, you might also enjoy my concert photography blog at www.chadsconcertpix.blogspot.com.

If anyone has any questions about anything in South Dakota, feel free to fire away. I love helping travelers and/or photographers.

Chad

Welcome Chad.

Class of '81 and a photographer. You'll fit in here just fine. I haven't spent much time in South Dakato but I look forward to seeing how you've been able to capture it.

Cheers,

Roadhound, Class of '81, photographer.

Thanks guys! I'm hoping I can add some useful discussion here at some point.

Rick, your pictures make me think I need to work harder on mine. Great stuff, especially the air shows. You might know of Jim Peitz, he's a stunt pilot from here in Pierre. I've done some of his promo shots for his website, hero cards, etc.

Jim, I'm always jealous of anyone that can drive by The Speedway any time they want. I spent three years in Princeton, IN and shot the 500 twice. Also been to the Brickyard once and do the museum tour any time I'm in the area. Even though it's lost some of it's luster in the last decade, Indy is still a special place to me.

Chad

Welcome, Chad. I've never been to South Dakota (although it's high on my to do list) and I was "a few" years ahead of the class of '81 but I did attend a Kiss concert once. Glad we have something in common.

Let me know when you're coming out west and I'll do my best to let you in on all the cool stuff to see. Anyone who's seen KISS is okay in my book, even if they aren't a huge fan. :P

Hey, I lived in Terre Haute (birthplace of the Kiss Army) for 9 years, does that count for something? ;-)

Yes, this is also the place Steve Martin called "the armpit of America."

When I worked in radio in Terre Haute, at what was then the big rock station (but is now dark), we still had some Kiss on the playlist.

jim

Sure that counts! Now we've just got to figure out a way to turn this into a road trip. Gene and Paul's birthplaces? Nah. Every place they've played? That's got to be every arena in the country now that they are on their 35th anniversary tour. How about Terre Haute to "Detroit Rock City?"

• 1 month later...

My name is Steve Williams and I am a lifelong "roadgeek".

In October, 2005, I started "The Georgia Road Geek" (GRG) as a weekly road-related blog.

Months later, I purchased webspace on GoDaddy and expanded GRG to include special feature pages, photos, and my video series "ROADGEEK-CAM!!!".

Late last year, I created the world's first "roadgeek talkshow" on BlogTalkRadio that I call "GRG On BTR".

I have just subscribed to American Road magazine and look forward to receiving my first issue soon.

In the meantime, please feel free to visit my site, read my blogs, watch my videos, and listen to my talkshow, and I thank you in advance for doing so.

Edited by The Georgia Road Geek

Welcome, Steve!

Later this month will be headed from Dalton to the Homer/Commerce area and didn't know if you had an opinion on which route was best. I am considering either taking GA 52, or going down US 41 to GA 136, to Jasper and catching GA 53. I think I have been both ways before but it's been a few years and can't remember which one was best. If you are familiar with these and have an opinion, I would appreciate the feedback.

From the photos on your site, I can tell you really like the road signs!

We look forward to your contributions.

Chris

Steve,

Welcome to the home of Road Geeks. I have already bookmarked your site for perusal at me leisure, and look forward to learning what you have to share. You will love the magazine, and find that you fit into this group quite well.

Enjoy the Ride!

Steve,

Welcome to the forum!!

I sampled a few of your videos and enjoyed them! I think we need a National Through the Windshield Video Alliance. I use the same technique.

It is good to have an additional southern road reporter as Cityboy (our Mississippi main man) is in college and they won’t let him skip classes for a road trip too often!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Welcome, Steve. I recognize the GRG name from the Yahoo roadgeek e-group where I'm a (mostly silent) member and I just verified that it was you who gave me a recent chuckle with the report of folks thinking Georgia was building walkways down the middle of their expressways. You're clearly putting some energy into your roadish hobbies. I've seen some of the ROADGEEK-CAM!!! stuff but not yet any GRG On BTR. I'll correct that.

I don't mean to make a big deal of it but it is hard to ignore the fact that you obviously have a much friendlier relationship with the interstates than many forum members. Some folks here actually call them names although most appreciate their convenience. I appreciate both their convenience and the fact that they keep lots of traffic off of the two-lanes. The fact that you've subscribed to the magazine, got yourself photographed beneath US & GA route signs, and like "visiting historic sites" all hint at some back road tendencies. Plus, anyone who likes Mythbusters, Made In America, and The Simpsons is OK by me. Maybe it won't be long before you're cruising to those historic sites on some historic two-lane with some historic Boston (who is touring this year) on the stereo.

Welcome, Steve!

Later this month will be headed from Dalton to the Homer/Commerce area and didn't know if you had an opinion on which route was best. I am considering either taking GA 52, or going down US 41 to GA 136, to Jasper and catching GA 53. I think I have been both ways before but it's been a few years and can't remember which one was best. If you are familiar with these and have an opinion, I would appreciate the feedback.

From the photos on your site, I can tell you really like the road signs!

We look forward to your contributions.

Chris

Chris,

First of all, thanks for the welcome. :)

For a nice scenic drive through the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, I would say take GA 52 from Dalton to Maysville, then GA 98 from Maysville to Commerce.

This route is (mostly) 2 lanes and takes you past Fort Mountain State Park, Amicalola Falls State Park (where hikers can take an approach trail to the southern end of the Appalachian Trail), and Dahlonega (America's First Goldrush - 1828). Through that section alone, you will be able to enjoy the beauty of the North Georgia Mountains.

If you have any other questions or concerns, then please let me know.

Thanks again for the welcome and I hope you have a pleasant trip.

Steve :)

Welcome, Steve. I recognize the GRG name from the Yahoo roadgeek e-group where I'm a (mostly silent) member and I just verified that it was you who gave me a recent chuckle with the report of folks thinking Georgia was building walkways down the middle of their expressways. You're clearly putting some energy into your roadish hobbies. I've seen some of the ROADGEEK-CAM!!! stuff but not yet any GRG On BTR. I'll correct that.

I don't mean to make a big deal of it but it is hard to ignore the fact that you obviously have a much friendlier relationship with the interstates than many forum members. Some folks here actually call them names although most appreciate their convenience. I appreciate both their convenience and the fact that they keep lots of traffic off of the two-lanes. The fact that you've subscribed to the magazine, got yourself photographed beneath US & GA route signs, and like "visiting historic sites" all hint at some back road tendencies. Plus, anyone who likes Mythbusters, Made In America, and The Simpsons is OK by me. Maybe it won't be long before you're cruising to those historic sites on some historic two-lane with some historic Boston (who is touring this year) on the stereo.

Denny,

Thanks for the welcome and it's always good to hook up with fellow fans of roads, Mythbusters, etc. :)

As for Interstates, no problem. I don't make a big deal out of them either, especially after "clinching" them... and the Atlanta-area Interstates can sometimes be frustrating at rush hour (see my "I-285 SUCKS!!!" video on YouTube.)

On Memorial Day weekend, my wife and I are heading down to Florida "off the beaten path" and I'm looking to "clinch" at least 20 more counties between Georgia and Florida.

BTW, I learned about American Road (AR) magazine via your website.

Thanks again and I look forward to participating more on the AR forums.

Thanks again and take care!

In October, 2005, I started "The Georgia Road Geek" (GRG) as a weekly road-related blog.

Months later, I purchased webspace on GoDaddy and expanded GRG to include special feature pages, photos, and my video series "ROADGEEK-CAM!!!".

Late last year, I created the world's first "roadgeek talkshow" on BlogTalkRadio that I call "GRG On BTR".

I have just subscribed to American Road magazine and look forward to receiving my first issue soon.

In the meantime, please feel free to visit my site, read my blogs, watch my videos, and listen to my talkshow, and I thank you in advance for doing so.

From the MemphisMainiac, welcome aboard Steve. As noted I live in the Memphis area - and I do short road trips around the Memphis area. With gas prices going up, road trips are getting shorter. Such is life.

Anyway, looking fwd to seeing some of your wanderings here on the forum.

Y'all take care, and safe travels.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

HI All,

Iam the Midnightcaller I got that name because I used to call this BBS at Midnight when I came home from work.

I live in the Lake Stevens,WA area and Iam into treasure hunting,and a ham radio operator.

I also like getting into my car and going on any road I can find. One of my trips Iam planning is driving from Washington to Maine, then down the East Coast to Florida. then get on to rute 66 and come back home.

I would like to do this trip on blue's highways and avoid the freeways you can see more than on a freeway. one goal in life is to see all 50 states and Canada..

How many people are from Washington

How many people are ham radio operators?

how many people are into metel detecting and treasure hunting?

Midnightcaller,

My callsign is KC4AZO (Advanced-class licensee).

Do you track what counties you have visited? If not, then check out http://www.mob-rule.com/counties.

Steve,

Welcome to the forum!!

I sampled a few of your videos and enjoyed them! I think we need a National Through the Windshield Video Alliance. I use the same technique.

It is good to have an additional southern road reporter as Cityboy (our Mississippi main man) is in college and they won’t let him skip classes for a road trip too often!

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for watching my videos and for your kind words.

I like the "National Through the Windshield Video Alliance" and know several other fellow roadgeek video makers who'd be great members as well.

Thanks again and I look forward to participating in these forums.

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning from Richland, WA.

I have driven most of this great country, except for the Northeast, and like nothing better than taking day trips to drive somewhere. Health issues now keep me closer to home, but allow much more time for dreaming up the next trip! Next on the agenda is a trip along the Oregon Trail. My goal is to drive the entire length of the trail and view as much of the remaining tracks as possible. One good thing about living where I do is the ability to visit sections of the trail nearby without taking several days to do so.

Yesterday on my way home from La Grande, Or., I "discovered some original tracks just off the freeway that anyone with 5 minutes to spare can view by stopping in a rest area! I will start a thread with pictures as soon as I get the pics out of the camera.

If any of you living close to the OT have local information that you could share, I would really appreciate it. I may attempt some type of book based on my research and travels over the next 3 or 4 years.

Again, hello to all. This looks like a great place!

Hutch

Good morning from Richland, WA.

I have driven most of this great country, except for the Northeast, and like nothing better than taking day trips to drive somewhere. Health issues now keep me closer to home, but allow much more time for dreaming up the next trip! Next on the agenda is a trip along the Oregon Trail. My goal is to drive the entire length of the trail and view as much of the remaining tracks as possible. One good thing about living where I do is the ability to visit sections of the trail nearby without taking several days to do so.

Yesterday on my way home from La Grande, Or., I "discovered some original tracks just off the freeway that anyone with 5 minutes to spare can view by stopping in a rest area! I will start a thread with pictures as soon as I get the pics out of the camera.

If any of you living close to the OT have local information that you could share, I would really appreciate it. I may attempt some type of book based on my research and travels over the next 3 or 4 years.

Again, hello to all. This looks like a great place!

Hutch

Hutchman,

Let me be the first to welcome you! And it is great to add another Washingtonian. I’m in Olympia.

I doubt I can add anything of importance to your Oregon Trail explorations, but I have followed short sections and visited several sites where it existed. Last month I was in Nebraska and Wyoming and stopped at a few sites (Windlass Hill, Chimney Rock, Ft Laramie, the deep ruts near Guernsey, Register Cliff, etc). I missed South Pass due to snow.

I have, and enjoy, the detailed trail notes and maps done by Franzwa and have the 1930’s WPA book, plus several other books.. Having been an Oregon resident before living in Washington, the Oregon Trail looms large.

I can say with some confidence that a trip to follow the Oregon Trail would be quite worthwhile. My experiences from The Dalles eastward in Oregon to the Snake have always been rewarding, and the scattered sites I have seen further east in Idaho, Wyoming, and Nebraska, are usually quite unspoiled and often very evocative…..at least off season.

Let’s compare notes here when you get the time!

And again, Welcome!!

Dave

Next on the agenda is a trip along the Oregon Trail. My goal is to drive the entire length of the trail and view as much of the remaining tracks as possible.

Welcome aboard. While I'm sure I can't help one bit, I'm ready to look and read.

• 5 months later...