American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Now Dave's (keep The Show On The Road) Done It!

Steve_Colby

Dave's 1925 Mohawk-Hobbs National Old Trail/National Road Guide is now online at CRP in a PDF format. (That's old stuff...)

!CHALLENGE! I'm double-dog darin' the members of the American Road Forum to help me document the M-H National Road Guide in Photos & Postcards. That's right... From Vandalia, IL to Baltimore, MD as noted in the Guide.

Are you up to the challenge? :blink:

I've made a piddly start at 1925 Mohawk-Hobbs National Old Trail/National Road Grade & Surface Guide - A Photographic Rendition and will be adding more as time goes on.

Steve

Steve,

Do you have this?

ARBruce.jpg

I don’t own it, but going through my disk images I found it. It was scanned by Microsoft into a PDF file so it must be a part of their recent projects. Given its age, it is probably in the public domain.

In any event, it is a wonderful look at the road in 1916, complete with strip maps! You probably already have it, but if not, I can upload it to the location where I uploaded the Hobbs.

And someone here is almost certain to recall where it is available on the web.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Steve,

Do you have this?

ARBruce.jpg

I don’t own it, but going through my disk images I found it. It was scanned by Microsoft into a PDF file so it must be a part of their recent projects. Given its age, it is probably in the public domain.

In any event, it is a wonderful look at the road in 1916, complete with strip maps! You probably already have it, but if not, I can upload it to the location where I uploaded the Hobbs.

And someone here is almost certain to recall where it is available on the web.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for asking about the Bruce Book. I have read and quoted sections of it and intend to read it in it's entirety in the near future. This book and a number of others are available to download free online. Check out the CRP Reference section for a list of books with links.

Steve

Hunh. I lost an eBay auction for a copy of that book just last week.

Steve, are you looking for period photos/postcards, or are recent photos acceptable?

Jim,

I looking for both new and old. In a prefect world, I'd love to have a new shot taken from the same place as the original to show the changes.

Steve

I wasn't happy with the Photo Illustrated 1925 M-H Nat'l Old Trails/Nat'l Road Guide so I reformatted it. It's more labor intensive due to the amount of time spent transcribing the text from the original guide to the new... But I like the way it looks.

What do youse guys think? Photo Guide p. 20

Steve

I wasn't happy with the Photo Illustrated 1925 M-H Nat'l Old Trails/Nat'l Road Guide so I reformatted it. It's more labor intensive due to the amount of time spent transcribing the text from the original guide to the new... But I like the way it looks.

Steve

Steve,

That's beyond awesome! The fact that you have photos that match the descriptions blows me away.

We are on a short trip to the coast, but I'll take a closer look when we get home.

Dave

Steve,

That's beyond awesome! The fact that you have photos that match the descriptions blows me away.

We are on a short trip to the coast, but I'll take a closer look when we get home.

Dave

Thanks, Dave. I couldn't have done it without your Guide.

Steve

Steve

Absolutely fantastic Steve.

One of my projects (non-road oriented) is scanning Hudson manuals, bulletins and other material and putting them on-line on my web site ( hetclub.org/burr - right now it's a list, but our club VP is making it into a web site). So, I have a pretty good idea of the work you put into your site. Labor intensive it is - at the moment I'm working on a 1939 Hudson parts book - if I can get 5 pages a day done I feel it's an accomplishment.

Keep up the great work.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Absolutely fantastic Steve.

One of my projects (non-road oriented) is scanning Hudson manuals, bulletins and other material and putting them on-line on my web site ( hetclub.org/burr - right now it's a list, but our club VP is making it into a web site). So, I have a pretty good idea of the work you put into your site. Labor intensive it is - at the moment I'm working on a 1939 Hudson parts book - if I can get 5 pages a day done I feel it's an accomplishment.

Keep up the great work.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Alex,

Now I get the "Hudsonly"...<g>

Thanks for your postcards and the kind comments.

Steve

Steve,

I have uploaded to the previously identified URL, high resolution scans of maps and descriptions of the National Road segment between Baltimore and Wheeling from the 1928 (5/28) AAA National Old Trails guide.

For forum visitors interested in the maps, I have posted lower resolution versions below.

Dave

ARNOT14_15.jpg

ARNOT16_17.jpg

ARNOT18_19.jpg

ARNOT20_21.jpg

M-H Guide: Page 19 - Uniontown, PA to Cumberland, MD is finished.

Please let me know if you spot any errors. Thanks!

Steve

Steve,

I looked at the page after I posted my maps, and recognized some of the locations. The photos and descriptions really bring the maps alive. That is a fantastic experience! I am really impressed. It is almost like driving the road 80 or 90 years ago.

I'll be interested in seeing how you integrate the 1928 strip maps I sent and the sites. Your effort so far has been unique in my experience.

I wish that you could use something like Zoomify to allow enlarged images, sort of like clicking on my thumbnails at www.historicalroadmaps.com.

In any event…..great job!

Dave

Steve,

I looked at the page after I posted my maps, and recognized some of the locations. The photos and descriptions really bring the maps alive. That is a fantastic experience! I am really impressed. It is almost like driving the road 80 or 90 years ago.

I'll be interested in seeing how you integrate the 1928 strip maps I sent and the sites. Your effort so far has been unique in my experience.

I wish that you could use something like Zoomify to allow enlarged images, sort of like clicking on my thumbnails at www.historicalroadmaps.com.

In any event…..great job!

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the maps! (And the compliment.)

The problem with the images are that most are low res downloads of old postcards. I can pull them off the Internet and clean them up some. (To own them all would cost way more money than I have... <g>) Some of the PA images are from original Curtech photos for postcards but they are usually high contrast for some reason. (The colors of some of the buildings are written on the back so the colorists can add the color by hand later.)

Most of the new stuff I'm uploading is about 7.5" wide at 75 dpi.

Thanks again for the maps.

Steve