American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

How Old Is That Road?

Steve_Colby

When you're cruising down Route 40 in MD and PA, have you ever given thought to the age of the road you're on? While some realignments date to the 1930s, 40s and 50s, other sections of the National Road date to the 1700s.

For instance, the section of Scenic Route 40 west of Indian Springs, MD running in bits and pieces through Hancock, MD and then west on Rt. 144 to Woodmont Road. This section of road was originally built in 1758 as part of a military road from Fort Frederick (Big Pool, MD) to Ft. Cumberland. While the road was being built, the BRITISH soldiers were attacked by Indians.

If you're interested in reading more, go to: The Fort Frederick to Fort Cumberland Road

Steve

Edited by Steve_Colby

When you're cruising down Route 40 in MD and PA, have you ever given thought to the age of the road you're on? While some realignments date to the 1930s, 40s and 50s, other sections of the National Road date to the 1700s.

For instance, the section of Scenic Route 40 west of Indian Springs, MD running in bits and pieces through Hancock, MD and then west on Rt. 144 to Woodmont Road. This section of road was originally built in 1758 as part of a military road from Fort Frederick (Big Pool, MD) to Ft. Cumberland. While the road was being built, the BRITISH soldiers were attacked by Indians.

If you're interested in reading more, go to: The Fort Frederick to Fort Cumberland Road

Steve

Steve,

The Cumberland Road imust be the oldest continuously used purpose built route in the USA. Some of the early Spanish routes might predate it, but they were unimproved trails.

Your site is nothing short of spectacular, very well presented, and exceptionally well documented, with lots of great images. You are welcome to use my stuff, and I will take a look to see what else I may have.

I’ll peruse the stacks and see what turns up that might be of interest to you.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Steve,

The Cumberland Road imust be the oldest continuously used purpose built route in the USA. Some of the early Spanish routes might predate it, but they were unimproved trails.

Your site is nothing short of spectacular, very well presented, and exceptionally well documented, with lots of great images. You are welcome to use my stuff, and I will take a look to see what else I may have.

I’ll peruse the stacks and see what turns up that might be of interest to you.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Steve,

The first item that turned up in the stacks is the 1928 ACSC National Old Trails Road guide. It has nice strip maps and some descriptive material. If you wish, I'll scan the relevant pages in the next few days and send it as I did the Hobbs. Let me know your wishes.

Jim, Have I copied these before for you? :D:rolleyes::huh:

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

Steve,

The first item that turned up in the stacks is the 1928 ACSC National Old Trails Road guide. It has nice strip maps and some descriptive material. If you wish, I'll scan the relevant pages in the next few days and send it as I did the Hobbs. Let me know your wishes.

Jim, Have I copied these before for you? :D:rolleyes::huh:

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

Dave,

Thanks again for the M-H images, I hope to have them online tomorrow. I'd love to have the 1928 ACSC Nat'l OTR Guide too.

Thanks also for your kind words. BTW, I received word today the City of Cumberland is working on a celebration/re-dedication, in 2011, to mark the 200th Anniversary of the start of construction. I'll keep you posted.

Steve