American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

American Road Foundation

roadmaven

I was perusing the main American Road website and I was interested in what was said about the American Road Foundation . I particularly liked this part:

"As part of a strategic plan to promote and assist in the celebration of heritage tourism, the AMERICAN ROAD FOUNDATION plans to sponsor a regular conference and festival that will both celebrate the value of historic roads and provide educational opportunities through workshops and seminars. The first AMERICAN ROAD Festival is being planned—stay tuned for details."

So, this brings up the question, "Just where are these festivals going to be"? Good question! Since the purpose appears to be to celebrate historic roads and auto trails, my guess is they'd be held in cities where such historic roads and auto trails exist. What are some of your ideas for cities that might fit that description? I'm a little biased when I vote for Indianapolis. Afterall, we've had The National Road, The Dixie Highway, The Michigan Road, as well as 6 US Highways (31, 36, 40, 52, 136, and 421) cutting through our town. Wikipedia even confirms our moniker as "Crossroads of America" , albeit for our interstate system.

I'll be willing to listen to other arguments, but it'll take some convincing for me to waiver that the capital of the Hoosier State is the place to be. Of course, I have zero say in where it's going to be, so you have as much influence as I do. Oh yeah, did I mention Carl Fisher, the man behind the Lincoln Highway and Dixie Highway is buried in Indianapolis and is a native of Greensburg, IN (a Michigan Road town)? I doubt it's a coincidence a leg of his Dixie Highway went right in front of his Indianapolis Motor Speedway . This is beginning to sound like a slam dunk to me! B)

I was perusing the main American Road website and I was interested in what was said about the American Road Foundation . I particularly liked this part:

"As part of a strategic plan to promote and assist in the celebration of heritage tourism, the AMERICAN ROAD FOUNDATION plans to sponsor a regular conference and festival that will both celebrate the value of historic roads and provide educational opportunities through workshops and seminars. The first AMERICAN ROAD Festival is being planned—stay tuned for details."

So, this brings up the question, "Just where are these festivals going to be"? Good question! Since the purpose appears to be to celebrate historic roads and auto trails, my guess is they'd be held in cities where such historic roads and auto trails exist. What are some of your ideas for cities that might fit that description? I'm a little biased when I vote for Indianapolis. Afterall, we've had The National Road, The Dixie Highway, The Michigan Road, as well as 6 US Highways (31, 36, 40, 52, 136, and 421) cutting through our town. Wikipedia even confirms our moniker as "Crossroads of America" , albeit for our interstate system.

I'll be willing to listen to other arguments, but it'll take some convincing for me to waiver that the capitol of the Hoosier State is the place to be. Of course, I have zero say in where it's going to be, so you have as much influence as I do. Oh yeah, did I mention Carl Fisher, the man behind the Lincoln Highway and Dixie Highway is buried in Indianapolis and is a native of Greensburg, IN (a Michigan Road town)? I doubt it's a coincidence a leg of his Dixie Highway went right in front of his Indianapolis Motor Speedway . This is beginning to sound like a slam dunk to me! B)

I hope we can have a conference in the Northeast in upstate NY or Springfield Mass route 20 has a scenic byway in both states.