American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Driving Western 2/3 Of U S 62

DennyG

I started my drive to see the remainder of US 62 yesterday. I've previously driven all of the route east of Nortonville, KY, so picked it up there and made it to Sikeston, MO, before ending the day. The first day's journal is posted and more will follow.

http://www.dennygibson.com/rt62west/index.htm

I started my drive to see the remainder of US 62 yesterday. I've previously driven all of the route

east of Nortonville, KY, so picked it up there and made it to Sikeston, MO, before ending the day.

Spent many, many nights in Sikeston during my shoe dog days. You'll be traveling through Missouri's infamous "bootheel" and should then cruise through Piggott and Pocahontas, AR, old shoe towns. If you go far enough you'll be able to check out Hotel Seville in Harrison, AR.

Hope the weather cooperates. Looking forward to your posts.....Bliss

The thing I like about the (Sikeston/Cairo) area is the number of U S highways that converge in the area; 51, 60, 62 (and a little further west 61). And 67 a bit further west over by Poplar Bluff, about 45 miles, as the Ivory Billed Woodpecker flys. Crossing the bridge is Cairo is a "thrilling" experience - especially if there's an 18 wheeler or a Greyhound bus coming the other way!!!

I've driven thru that area a few times and always enjoyed it. It's on the edge of the north/south border, so to speak, but has pretty much the charm and slow paced life like that further to the south. It's not heavily developed - there's not much there to develop, but I'm sure it will be someday.

I've followed U S 51, which passes thru Cairo, between Winona, MS, and Decatur, IL over the years - one of these days I should follow the rest of it.

Safe trip Denny - looking fwd to your daily trip reports.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

Great minds think alike :)

Bliss: I spent last night at the Seville and am there right now. Great place.

Alex: I started the day's journal with a picture of a 60+61+62 sign cluster.

One thing I've noticed while wandering around parts of Arkansas - the bridges I've found over the White River are quite spectacular. The one outside DeVall's on U. S. 70 (see a picture on my web site @ http://www.freewebs.com/yankeetraveller/ under Arkansas Ramble Part 2) and another on U S 79 a bit to the south (need to get pictures of that one.) I'm not 100% sure but I think they demolished the DeVall's bridge when they by-passed it a little to the north. Got to check that one out.

I'm surprised you didn't stop in New Madrid, Denny. That is famous for the big earthquake back around 1813 (and we're due again) that was felt as far away as Baltimore. There is a great little museum and a couple old houses that are very interesting.

Anyway, safe travels. I'll have to get over to Hardy one of these days and check out that car museum.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Just read your latest "snowy" road report from the Oklahoma City/Altus area. Let me get this straight - you were happy to get away from Cincinnati because of what???????????????

You were headed for the southwest to get some sun and good weather????

By the way - from the weather reports it looks like more is on the way, tho hopefully more to the north. They're even mentioning possible snow flurries for Memphis.

Off to open my Chrimmas package from my youngest daughter - snow bound in Maine. Love it.

Really!!! :D

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Just read your latest "snowy" road report from the Oklahoma City/Altus area. Let me get this straight - you were happy to get away from Cincinnati because of what???????????????

You were headed for the southwest to get some sun and good weather????

Yeah!! That's just what I was thinking.

When El Paso had snow a couple of weeks ago, I remember thinking "It can't happen twice" and "Glad that's over". :huh:

Another road trip in the file. You do such a great job writting these reports up, Denny - makes one feel he's in the passenger seat.

Y'all have a safe trip home - and watch out for the snow. Weather up Cincinnati way looks nasty. :D

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

When El Paso had snow a couple of weeks ago, I remember thinking "It can't happen twice" and "Glad that's over". :huh:

I'm thoroughly enjoying riding along with you but I gotta tell ya, all the snow conditions you've experienced would make me wish I'd stayed home by the fire - especially if I was cruisin' in a fiberglass flyer. Ah yes, new tires would have been a special treat.

Be careful on your return home....Bliss

Yep. The timing on this one has been anything but good. But it's not all my fault. The snow in Oklahoma City (which I only got the edge of) was an all time record and the desk clerk in Van Horn told me they usually only see snow once or twice a year and Monday's was already the fifth of this season. I'm still having fun though.

Chris: Carlsbad definitely gets an endorsement from me. I've been in Mammoth and a few other small systems but nothing I'd seen before was anything like that Big Room. And whadda ya mean "out-of-the-way"? It's right on the road from Niagara to Juarez. :D