American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Where The Cumberland/national Road Started

Steve_Colby

From a stone at the corner of Lot. #1 on Greene St. (Cumberland, MD)... In May, 1811.

pike-marker1_lrg.jpg

A stone, reset in 1903, marking the spot the Road started.

pike-marker2_lrg.jpg

The traffic island where the stone is located. (George Washington's cabin/Riverside Park in background.)

Steve

Edited by Steve_Colby

• 3 weeks later...

Dave (Keep the Show On the Road),

I ran across your historical road map website while searching for the 1926 Mohawk-Hobbs map of Maryland. I going to add it to CRP's Online Reference section.

Do you have a copy of the M-H Guide above and would it be possible to add it to the collection?

Thanks!

Steve

Dave (Keep the Show On the Road),

I ran across your historical road map website while searching for the 1926 Mohawk-Hobbs map of Maryland. I going to add it to CRP's Online Reference section.

Do you have a copy of the M-H Guide above and would it be possible to add it to the collection?

Thanks!

Steve

Steve,

I can happily scan the section of the 1925 M-H Guide for the National Old Trails Road that incorporates the route of the National Road in Maryland and west as far as you want to go. What I do for American Road members is post high res jpg files that only they can access and download. I could also post the relevant lower res pages here, so if your need is for a link, you could link to this page.

Unfortunately Historicalroadmaps.com is “resting” at this point. It has been so long since I posted anything new, that I truly would have to relearn the software and processes I used to create the site. That is too much trouble for a single new addition.

However Becky and I are talking about how we might structure a similar project with many more of my maps and guides, under the American Road banner. Assuming that happens, we could add the National Old Trails (which includes the National Road) and many other routes.

I want to be sure this works for you. Does it?

Dave

Steve,

I can happily scan the section of the 1925 M-H Guide for the National Old Trails Road that incorporates the route of the National Road in Maryland and west as far as you want to go. What I do for American Road members is post high res jpg files that only they can access and download. I could also post the relevant lower res pages here, so if your need is for a link, you could link to this page.

Unfortunately Historicalroadmaps.com is “resting” at this point. It has been so long since I posted anything new, that I truly would have to relearn the software and processes I used to create the site. That is too much trouble for a single new addition.

However Becky and I are talking about how we might structure a similar project with many more of my maps and guides, under the American Road banner. Assuming that happens, we could add the National Old Trails (which includes the National Road) and many other routes.

I want to be sure this works for you. Does it?

Dave

Dave,

That would be great!

Maryland is what I'm primarily looking for right now but Western PA, WV, OH, IN and IL would be groovy if you have the time. (The route of the Nat'l Road from Baltimore, MD to Vandalia, IL)

Thanks.

Steve

Dave,

That would be great!

Maryland is what I'm primarily looking for right now but Western PA, WV, OH, IN and IL would be groovy if you have the time. (The route of the Nat'l Road from Baltimore, MD to Vandalia, IL)

Thanks.

Steve

OK, Steve, I have copied the Maryland sections of the 1925 Hobbs Old National Trails guide, which incorporates the National Road. Lower resolution copies are below for all to enjoy, and I will e-mail you a location where you can download higher res copies for your use.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

ARpg18.jpg

ARpg19.jpg

ARpg20.jpg

ARpg21.jpg

ARpg22.jpg

Dave, didn't you scan just this guide for me, at least the MD-PA-WV etc portions, before my trip last April? With your permission, I can share those scans with Steve if you don't have them still. jim

Jim,

Share anything I have already scanned for you!! And thanks for trying to save me some time. I saw your note when I posted the scans! I wondered why they looked familiar :o !

That was back in April...so I don't feel too bad that I forgot..........what was that again??? :D

Getting older has its advantages...if nothing else, everthing looks so fresh and new each time I redo it!! :D

You did save me some time because I won't rescan the other pages you have and Steve can download from the location I gave you. :) Thanks!!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Speaking of Mohawk-Hobbs road guides --- just for the fun of it I went to ask.com and typed in Mohawk-Hobbs tour guides and came up with this link - http://usm.maine.edu/maps/exhibition/9/4/s...howing-the-road

Interesting stuff on there, and ironic, for me, that it's from the University of Maine.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

(formerly from Maine)